Reports: GWS player [T Greene] charged with assault in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

sure,he could stay for life after we show determination to help him.
but for the coach of the team to magoo him for games,just gives the list a jolt.

Anyone have an idea on what sort of timeframe till the club/afl/police issue another statement on this?
Hope the incident was minor for both parties involved.
Another reminder for all players that they are under intense media and public scrutiny due to them been seen as role models for todays youth

GREATER Western Sydney’s Toby Greene is almost certain to be suspended when the club’s leadership group meets with coach Leon Cameron to decide his fate on Thursday.

Greene, 20, was charged by police with a variety of serious offences after being involved in an alleged incident at a Caulfield hotel on Monday night.

The Giants are furious because he kept the alleged incident secret from the club. Officials found out through another source on Tuesday morning.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...lic_rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Things appear to be going bad at an alarming rate, that said it does read like a stitch up
TOBY Greene could be facing further investigation after an incident during Monday night's St Kilda-Carlton contest at Etihad Stadium.

AFL.com.au understands the GWS midfielder, who is facing multiple charges after a late-night incident at a Caulfield night spot, was earlier involved in another incident during the Saints-Blues game.

Greene, 20, watched the game while having a few drinks with mates.

Near the end of the match, Greene’s group allegedly became involved in a scuffle with a group of older patrons at the stadium's Locker Room bar.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/greene-facing-more-strife

Last edited:
I'm a big Toby fan and think we need a player or two with mongrel, like him, in the team. But what he did was dumb and petulant. Apparently the playing group had been lectured only 2 weeks previous about the pitfalls of booze bingeing. And possibly his mates back in Melbourne are a bit moronic.
But Ricky Ponting went off the rails once in a Kings Cross nightclub, straightened up his act, and captained Australia.
Has Greene got the character to bounce back from this and not err again? Because I'm assuming the Giants will tell him he's on his last chance_permanently.

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS have suspended Toby Greene for the next five matches and fined him the maximum $5000 under the AFL Code of Conduct.

The sanctions were recommended by the player leadership group and senior coach Leon Cameron and unanimously supported by the GIANTS Board.

Greene will not be eligible for senior selection for the club's next five matches against Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon, Brisbane and Carlton. He will also be ineligible to play for the UWS GIANTS reserves team in the NEAFL. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-05-16/greene-suspended-for-five-matches#sthash.2TrzTd5G.dpuf

Good move. Important to note Matthews saying that this isn't pre-judging the charges which will be heard in court in September, but for drinking alcohol after sustaining an injury and then failing to notify the club that he'd been arrested and charged by police.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think that five weeks out, not even any NEAFL games would mean he wouldn't be coming straight back into the senior side. After 5 there's at least one run in the neafl first.

Appropriate at this stage. Done for disobeying club rules, not for the assault charges which will rightfully be heard in court.

If this is true then its crap form by Greene
GWS midfielder Toby Greene may appeal a five-match club ban after he was arrested on assault charges in Melbourne last weekend.

The Giants today handed Greene a five-match suspension and fined him $5000 after he was arrested on a number of charges following an alleged assault in a Melbourne bar last weekend.

It’s believed Greene’s management expected a ban of 2-3 matches and are considering lodging an appeal against the penalty.

While the 20-year-old accepted the ban, he is considering his options after discussions with his manager and the AFL Players Association.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-and-5000-fine/story-fni5f7qp-1226919832538

Stupid by Greene. Just makes him look like a little boy lost. Stevie J copped a six week ban from the players leadership group at the beginning of 07 for something nowhere near as bad. Came back and won the Norm Smith that year. Toby should just shut the f#%k up and grow up.

Sounds like his management and the AFLPA have a fair bit to do with this possible appeal.

At the end of the day, staying off the piss while injured isn't a hard thing to do and he probably could've copped weeks just for that, let alone getting arrested and not informing the club. There's a reason the club has support structures and player welfare management in place, I'm sure someone like Craig Lambert could have taken his call and been understanding if he didn't want to go straight to Leon or other head honchos.

How could he possibly think this is a good idea??

Even if he is successful he will burn bridges with his team mates, club management and coaches.

Hopefully sanity will prevail and he will take his medicine.

How could he possibly think this is a good idea??

Even if he is successful he will burn bridges with his team mates, club management and coaches.

Hopefully sanity will prevail and he will take his medicine.
From what Cal said about Toby's response and then the quotes from the AFLPA and Connors (his manager) I get the distinct feeling that 'appeal' is the advice being given to him by others and not necessarily his idea...

From what Cal said about Toby's response and then the quotes from the AFLPA and Connors (his manager) I get the distinct feeling that 'appeal' is the advice being given to him by others and not necessarily his idea...

I think no doubt being driven by them...they need to think this through. Every player has a brand and Toby's is tarnished now, if they do this the damage will be severe and public sympathy/support will be zero.

Everyone can shut the * up, stop the Greene bashing.

You have 100% no idea of what really happened, I promise you, you do not know what you are talking about so stop trying. I also don't know the full story NO ONE DOES.

"get him out of the team" "should be gone from our club" you guys are pathetic. Did you see Wingard laughing in our faces because he didn't want to come to Giants? Well guess what Toby Greene has been here from the start played as many games as he could, and he wanted to be with GWS.

Sad

I happen to think the punishment is about right. We don't know whether Toby's been warned or cautioned in the past; he's still young and it gives him a chance to really stop, think and learn before his court date.

That said, I don't think we should be damning him for considering an appeal. Again, we don't know what's been said to him in the past - if he's been a good(ish) boy or if he's been allowed to get away with stuff without warning then the punishment might be seen as harsh. I'd also argue that the AFLPA have a responsibility to advise him he could consider an appeal. That's their job.

Whether he decides to appeal is his choice. Unless there are extenuating or mitigating circumstances, I'd prefer that he cop his punishment and come back a better young man that we can be proud of both on and off the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back