List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

probs dont need to jump down the blokes throat there, its obvious he meant in general he prefers giving a go to the younger guys
It was a pretty flimsy premise though - that the coach won't have a player in his plans based on the player's age.

If Staker plays his best footy next year, he will be in the best 22 IMO. If the argument is that Staker won't return to playing good football (due to a variety of reasons, age being one of them), then that's what we should be discussing. Even then, I think that is crystal ball stuff.

Also Staker is coming back from 2 years of severe injuries and is playing a position that we generally do have a bit of depth in next season. Paps, McGuane, McStay, Paine, and potentially Hammelmann.
Staker's best would have him comfortably ahead of every one of those guys.

Will he return to his best? I don't know. But, if he does, he will be in our plans.

If Staker gets through the pre season, I reckon he'll play a few games early (perhaps Ressies first??) but if he's fit, because of the type of player he is I reckon he'd be handy.
I'm just not sure hell get over all of his injuries. I hope he does.

It was a pretty flimsy premise though - that the coach won't have a player in his plans based on the player's age.

If Staker plays his best footy next year, he will be in the best 22 IMO. If the argument is that Staker won't return to playing good football (due to a variety of reasons, age being one of them), then that's what we should be discussing. Even then, I think that is crystal ball stuff.

I'm not in the dump staker boat at all, pretty big fan of him as a player and if he gets his body right he would be a very good addition for us next year, I just didn't think it was helpful for the discussion if a bloke just gets ripped on for his opinion.

It will be interesting though how Leppa sees next year panning out, whether it is a development year and he does see it more fruitful for the teams future if the younger forwards get thrown into the cauldron, however the other argument is it might kill the confidence of the younger guys if they keep getting a bath from the defenders. It might also be no good for the teams confidence too if he keep racking up the losses for the sake of development of the forwards

When you're Staker's age, a year can be a long time. If he were to return to his 2013 form he would be a walk up start for best 22. But I'm thinking there's a good chance he won't return to that level again.

I wasn't suggesting totally dumping Staker. I was just thinking that he will be coming back from a year long injury, and last season as well, at his age is very difficult. If he manages to somehow recapture some of his form then he might be best 22. IIR Leppa has said that he favours the younger player and is looking towards the future anyway. IMO he won't play another AFL game again, just coming back from too far and also factoring in the continual improvement in younger players especially.

I wasn't suggesting totally dumping Staker. I was just thinking that he will be coming back from a year long injury, and last season as well, at his age is very difficult. If he manages to somehow recapture some of his form then he might be best 22. IIR Leppa has said that he favours the younger player and is looking towards the future anyway. IMO he won't play another AFL game again, just coming back from too far and also factoring in the continual improvement in younger players especially.
Maybe right. If we get spanked a few times in a row with the younger kids, a hardened body like Staker in a young backline or forward line could really help steady the ship. Look at what Goose did.

If he plays on next year and if injury permits, he will definitely get a game.

2 reasonable ifs though.

ZoB put on his instagram that today was Raines' last recovery session. Lynch also said there were 4 retirements this year which might have been a mistake. So I'm guessing its safe to say Raines has either been delisted or retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polks has pretty much walked out hasn't he?
That's the word, but seriously he and Lisle, Wearden must be in trouble. Staker has a year to run otherwise he'd be gone as well. Paine would have to be close to living in a world similar to his name given his output at afl level.

so gone are

Brown
McGrath
Beams
Raines
Polkinghorne
Lisle
Weardon

At a minimum that is 7 definitely gone. Will be interesting to see how deep we cut, I reckon it could be 10 gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pay out a contract or 2 and get a young kid in next year with the room in our cap.

so gone are

Brown
McGrath
Beams
Raines
Polkinghorne
Lisle
Weardon

At a minimum that is 7 definitely gone. Will be interesting to see how deep we cut, I reckon it could be 10 gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pay out a contract or 2 and get a young kid in next year with the room in our cap.
Gee, Thought Beams was doing alright.

so gone are

Brown
McGrath
Beams
Raines
Polkinghorne
Lisle
Weardon

Beams or Beamer?

He'd mean Moloney, Claye is signed until the end of next year afaik.

Interested to see what'll happen with Polks. A club might grab him for depth but I'm not too sure who. Might just play VFL.

He'd mean Moloney, Claye is signed until the end of next year afaik.

Interested to see what'll happen with Polks. A club might grab him for depth but I'm not too sure who. Might just play VFL.

Melbourne could pick him up with a late pick, his better than some on there list.

I actually hope Staker plays for us for one final year. He seems to be a better stop gap forward than merret IMO. I think Leppa said a while back that Merret was 'holding the fort' as that big bodied presence upfront so if thats the situation for next year Id rather chuck stakes upfront and send Merret back where he can still impact the game.

so gone are

Brown
McGrath
Beams
Raines
Polkinghorne
Lisle
Weardon

Will be great for the "who has the youngest list" discussions.

I actually hope Staker plays for us for one final year. He seems to be a better stop gap forward than merret IMO. I think Leppa said a while back that Merret was 'holding the fort' as that big bodied presence upfront so if thats the situation for next year Id rather chuck stakes upfront and send Merret back where he can still impact the game.

Interesting that with the recent retirements, of all players on our list Staker is the leading goalkicker with 119, followed by Green (69), Merrett (68) and Rich (67).

Fair to say, we're pretty light on for goal kickers, so if Staker can get his body right, he'll be a handy addition next year, even if for only one year.

Last edited:
Interesting that with the recent retirements, of all players on our list Staker is the leading goalkicker with 119, followed by Green (69), Merrett (68) and Rich (67).

Fair to say, we're pretty light on for goal kickers, so if Staker can't get his body right, he'll be a handy addition next year, even if for only one year.

I dont know how much experience Stakes has had up forward but youd think he would be able to teach the young blokes a thing or two in addition to kick a few handy goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back