List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand why he would want to walk out this season but he also tried to shop himself around last season while under contract which I found strange.
He wasn't under contract. He was out of contract.

did he sign up for a year length? Sorry I never even knew he was out of contract last season.

Yep, was out of contract and re-signed for one year, which clearly hasn't worked out. Surprisingly there was talk that Hawthorn were interested at the end of last season, but no idea if they cooled or what the deal was.

Will be interesting to see if someone acquires him, even if only a St Kilda or Melbourne.

so gone are

Brown
McGrath
Beams
Raines
Polkinghorne
Lisle
Weardon

At a minimum that is 7 definitely gone. Will be interesting to see how deep we cut, I reckon it could be 10 gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pay out a contract or 2 and get a young kid in next year with the room in our cap.

what makes you say this so definitively that weardon is gone?

I did mean Beamer,not Beams. Weardon,injured and didn't get on the scorebook in the first 2 years. Would be a leap of faith to keep him on the main list.

Wasn't sure which thread this should go in as it fits a few categories... However... If we end up delisting 3-4 and we have 4 retirements without bringing anyone else in from other clubs, does that mean we will have 8 draft selections??? I can't see where we would bring a player in without trading either a player or draft pick. If we are bringing someone in its because they obviously have something better than what we have so why would the opposing team give them up so easily (unless they are out of contract)?

Wasn't sure which thread this should go in as it fits a few categories... However... If we end up delisting 3-4 and we have 4 retirements without bringing anyone else in from other clubs, does that mean we will have 8 draft selections??? I can't see where we would bring a player in without trading either a player or draft pick. If we are bringing someone in its because they obviously have something better than what we have so why would the opposing team give them up so easily (unless they are out of contract)?

There's a few options to fill those slots. Drafting (including academy selections) and trading obviously, but also FAs and delisted FAs, rookie promotions and leaving a spot or two empty for preseason rookie promotions.

We have liked leaving 1 spot open previously, and the best performed rookie over preseason gets an upgrade. I think this is a pretty good idea, especially when you arent a top club with a list full of talent. Whilst you can spare a slot, why not have that reward and see who stands up.

Will be interesting to see how we manage our rookie list this year. Who gets an upgrade and how we refill our rookie list.

We have liked leaving 1 spot open previously, and the best performed rookie over preseason gets an upgrade. I think this is a pretty good idea, especially when you arent a top club with a list full of talent. Whilst you can spare a slot, why not have that reward and see who stands up.

Will be interesting to see how we manage our rookie list this year. Who gets an upgrade and how we refill our rookie list.

I thought part of the reasoning behind leaving a senior spot open was to save money as well.

I'm looking forward to trade period 2015 after Swann has had time to get in a few big name players ears. More than happy to leave a warchest to raid a couple of clubs next year.

I thought part of the reasoning behind leaving a senior spot open was to save money as well.

I'm looking forward to trade period 2015 after Swann has had time to get in a few big name players ears. More than happy to leave a warchest to raid a couple of clubs next year.

It will be interesting to see how we use the new TPP banking mechanism, that allows spending over 100 per cent of the TPP and ASA limits, It becomes effective from next season 2015...any underspends in 2013 and/or 2014 can be recovered in 2015.

It will be interesting to see how we use the new TPP banking mechanism, that allows spending over 100 per cent of the TPP and ASA limits, It becomes effective from next season 2015...any underspends in 2013 and/or 2014 can be recovered in 2015.
Front ending a lot of the kids new contracts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Front ending a lot of the kids new contracts?

You tend to need to be careful with this though. Too much and you rely on them being loyal later on. And then there's always the danger of finding yourself in a Frawley situation.

An interesting conundrum, lots of cap space - yet no cash and reliant on the AFL. Will be interesting to see what we are allowed to spend.

Yeah it's hard to gauge...With an increase to TPP by an additional $150,000 per club in 2015 and in 2016 above already contracted amounts:may see a few contract extensions happening or the paying out of few at seasons end.

‒ 2015: increase from $9.92m to $10.07m (+$150,000)
‒ 2016: increase from $10.22m to 10.37m (+$150,000)

You tend to need to be careful with this though. Too much and you rely on them being loyal later on. And then there's always the danger of finding yourself in a Frawley situation.
Yeah but if the deal is over say three years a million over 3 is still a million over 3. Doesnt matter (to the player) if it is $333k for 3 or $500k then 2x $250k. Personally I would go, give me more money earlier.

Just an example too, not suggesting they will go to that much.

An interesting conundrum, lots of cap space - yet no cash and reliant on the AFL. Will be interesting to see what we are allowed to spend.
Given Swanns connections, hopefully whatever he says we need to spend. But yeah hard when we are cap in hand.

Swann wouldn't have joined if he was going to be ham strung with funds. He made comments to this affect.

Swann wouldn't have joined if he was going to be ham strung with funds. He made comments to this affect.
Bit of a difference though between being hamstrung and having an open chequebook. We will be allowed to increase our football department spend but it won't be without limits.

Bit of a difference though between being hamstrung and having an open chequebook. We will be allowed to increase our football department spend but it won't be without limits.
Swann has made it clear. His philosophy for commercial success starts on the field.
He said that a major conern was joining a club that couldn't afford to dig it self out. AFL gave him assurences that they'll backbhim

Swann has made it clear. His philosophy for commercial success starts on the field.
He said that a major conern was joining a club that couldn't afford to dig it self out. AFL gave him assurences that they'll backbhim
Yeah I follow that - but the AFL won't have said you can have all the money you want, more like we will allow you to spend 100% of the TPP's.

The list of retirements and delistings so far is 7. Need a spot for rookie upgrades, and there may be a couple more to move on perhaps.
Not out of the question to see anywhere from 7-10 changes to the senior list.
That's pretty huge 25%!!

The list of retirements and delistings so far is 7. Need a spot for rookie upgrades, and there may be a couple more to move on perhaps.
That's pretty huge 25%!!
Sadly it isn't an isolated peak over these past few years (anyone got the numbers?). I reckon this year will be the last of the dramatic culls though.

Sadly it isn't an isolated peak over these past few years (anyone got the numbers?). I reckon this year will be the last of the dramatic culls though.
Been pretty "drastic" since 2009 and the likes of Joel MacDonald IMO.

That's pretty huge 25%!!

I'm not sure on rookie upgrades this year. Noone on that list that really screams upgrade me at this stage and all bar Michael can be on there another year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back