List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

He did miss most of the pre-season and seemed very underdone when he first came into the side.

I think we're being a bit quick to write off a 21 year old key forward.

Plus we have to de-Magpie him.
I agree that is a burden he has been carrying, that sense of self-entitlement. :D

^ I agree re Paine. only just turned 21 two weeks ago.

I personally quite like Lisle and think he has done ok when bought into the team - kicked 11 goals in 8 games last year which this year would be good for about 2nd on our goalkicking!

But over 3 years now he has been in an out never cemented a place, never kicked multiple goals in consecutive weeks, was very poor in defence when tried there this year, has never really been put in the ruck presumably because he isn't good at it.

you have to wonder if the coaches have decided he isn't going to make it. as a 24yo I think tend ot think if that's what they've decided why keep him on the list when we have 'fillers' like Maguire, McGuane, Staker to protect the kids and kids like Paine, Freeman and presumably more this off season to give games to for the future.

I expect he'll get another run this season and if he plays 2-3 games and is dropped again before seasons end I wouldn't think that would bode well for him.

I wouldn't mind giving Lisle another crack now with Brown out of the team. Lisle is never going to be good enough to be top dog, but he could be an ok foil. He has played his best games for us in the seniors, when Brown was not in the team.

The question with Paine has always been his pace and whilst I doubt he will end up being a top rung player I can't see us turfing him one season after trading to get him.

Nor do I and I certainly wasn't advocating that in my earlier post, but I just don't see where he really fits in with his rather limited skill set.

I have nothing to base this on, but I will be expecting a number of de-listings this season. Just get the idea Leppa is going to get the broom out.

I believe that in one of his post-game press conferences he mentioned something about 6-8 list changes at the end of the year.

I get the same vibe - I've got a feeling there's going to be a fair changing of the guard.

I believe that in one of his post-game press conferences he mentioned something about 6-8 list changes at the end of the year.

I get the same vibe - I've got a feeling there's going to be a fair changing of the guard.

Yep that presser was a bit of a giveaway. With the state of our list (being a bottom 4 team) I would say anyone not getting a regular game that has been around for 3+ seasons will be on the chopping block.

The ones that I'm not sure about are Crisp and particularly Wearden. I thought Wearden was really starting to find some form late last year in the twos but has spent most of this year injured. Crisp is young and is reasonably consistent with his effort. I suppose tht he has often been around the mark but rarely given a game in the last year or two doesn't bode well.

But 6 to 8 is only a fair changing of the guard as the average to come off the Senior List for the last 4 years is 7.5 and that includes the GH5.

2013:Banfield,Cornelius,Docherty,Karnezis,Longer,McKeever,O'Brien,Polec,Yeo...9.

2012:Buchanan,Drummond,Hudson,Hawksley,Retzlaff,Sheldon,Stiller,Bartlett...8.

2011:Charman,Power,Clark,Austin,Clarke(Z),Fevola,Collier...7.

2010:Brennan,Sherman,Selwood,McCullough,Johnstone,Proud...6.

If 8 were to come off the Senior List this year I am at a bit of a loss to see how our recruiting would go as I am not a fan of going past the fourth round in the ND except to elevate a Rookie or draft from the Academy...the Free Agents cupboard is getting closer to a Mother Hubbard situation by the week.

Free agency is overhyped the only guys who have moved have realised that the club has peaked (goddard, dal santo) or have gone for mega $ buddy, tippet, shaw. With the exception of Shaw all gone to clubs (who at least think they are) on the cusp of premiership tilts.

No point going for a free agent when we will still be building next year. Hopefully we draft well again and show some faith in the fringe kids on the list.

Lisle should go. He most likely tries his hardest but if the talent isn't there it is never going to come. He is almost 24 years old now and should have shown something by now.
Yeah I don't consider him a kid, more along the crisp, wearden, rookies line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question with Paine has always been his pace and whilst I doubt he will end up being a top rung player I can't see us turfing him one season after trading to get him.
No point in getting rid of him yet, but he doesn't offer a whole lot either.
Depth player only based on what he's shown so far.

But 6 to 8 is only a fair changing of the guard as the average to come off the Senior List for the last 4 years is 7.5 and that includes the GH5.

Snipped.

If 8 were to come off the Senior List this year I am at a bit of a loss to see how our recruiting would go as I am not a fan of going past the fourth round in the ND except to elevate a Rookie or draft from the Academy...the Free Agents cupboard is getting closer to a Mother Hubbard situation by the week.

It is worth noting that we only drafted 3 on to our current Senior List with a fourth round pick or later:

Patfull....4
Maguire...a calculated gamble at 6
Freeman...4...but another Club bid their third rounder for him.

It is worth noting that we only drafted 3 on to our current Senior List with a fourth round pick or later:

Patfull....4
Maguire...a calculated gamble at 6
Freeman...4...but another Club bid their third rounder for him.

Don't forget Rocky.

He didn't even make the main draft; he was picked up in the pre-season top-up draft.

And some others maybe came via the Rookie list? Golby?

Don't forget Rocky.

He didn't even make the main draft; he was picked up in the pre-season top-up draft.

And some others maybe came via the Rookie list? Golby?

Yes,I know...Hanley,Beams ,Justin Clarke and Crisp all came through the Rookie draft too and O'Brien looks like a good mature aged rookie as well...but we get a real good look at these guys before committing.

We could have drafted Rocky in the National Draft on the day but elected to have a good look at who missed out...the occasional ripper slips to low in the ND but a look at the drafts show that the odds of finding a gem are not great in the lower regions of the National Draft

2013:Banfield,Cornelius,Docherty,Karnezis,Longer,McKeever,O'Brien,Polec,Yeo...9.

A worrying trend there - 10 anyone? Surely not.

A worrying trend there - 10 anyone? Surely not.
Blacky retired last year so that makes 10 for 2013. Trend avoided!!

No point in getting rid of him yet, but he doesn't offer a whole lot either.
Depth player only based on what he's shown so far.
He apparently showed more for the Pies at VFL level - just needs another year to show us what he's got I reckon.

He apparently showed more for the Pies at VFL level - just needs another year to show us what he's got I reckon.

Are we talking about Paine? He's never showed much at all at any level and I would have seen him play 10-15 times. People say he's this and he's that but he's way to slow and lacks agility to play 3rd tall and he's not going to make KPF - I can't believe I'm saying this but Ace was a better option.

Are we talking about Paine? He's never showed much at all at any level and I would have seen him play 10-15 times. People say he's this and he's that but he's way to slow and lacks agility to play 3rd tall and he's not going to make KPF - I can't believe I'm saying this but Ace was a better option.
Didn't he lead the VFL goalkicking list last year?

I reckon you've got to careful trying to judge undersized forwards by their stats at state-league level, particularly amount of goals. Defenders in the big time tend to be much taller and stronger. Paine would've been able to move most of the VFL full backs off the line of the ball in a marking contest but virtually none at AFL level.

All the same, WRB is probably harsh to say he hasn't shown much at any level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back