List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Whose spot in the team does he take? I have a bit of a problem fitting him in at the moment

If he got back to his best footy, he'd be a better option than Close, as 2nd tall forward, Paparone, given Paps has been used sometimes as a 3rd tall and possibly McGrath, who plays as a leading, deep forward.

Of course, Paps and and Close should keep improving. But Staker's best footy is still better than what those guys have produced in their short careers as forwards.

At the end of the year Stakes will have played 15 games in 3 years. At 31 next year it'll be very tough to come back from.

If he got back to his best footy, he'd be a better option than Close, as 2nd tall forward, Paparone, given Paps has been used sometimes as a 3rd tall and possibly McGrath, who plays as a leading, deep forward.

Of course, Paps and and Close should keep improving. But Staker's best footy is still better than what those guys have produced in their short careers as forwards.
At this stage of the year I think would prefer to keep on putting time into Close and Paps. Next year on return from injury there is a good chance that he might not be a better option than them. McGrath's spot is possible.

I think its partially the fact that we know that Redden, Rich and Leuey are returning next year and finding it hard to see how the team fits together. Though this is being discussed in that other thread

I think he is, and I'd be chuffed if they picked him as soon as he's healthy and fit, but to be fair it gets harder and harder to see that day coming.

It's probably moot though, because I doubt we'd going to pay out his contract to have him off the list. There are enough players coming off contract this year that I think we're unlikely to force out a contracted, experienced player in the position we need most just for the sake of incrementally speeding up list turnover.
The club might decide that he wont get up again in the next year, pay him out from the gap in this years salary cap and have a bit of space next year to make a play at <insert players name here>.

Of course that is dependent on the club being solvent and not having Korda Mentha walk through the doors.

At this stage of the year I think would prefer to keep on putting time into Close and Paps. Next year on return from injury there is a good chance that he might not be a better option than them. McGrath's spot is possible.

I guess I was talking about next year. I also think that care should be taken when "getting games" into young blokes. There's a balance to be struck between development and rewarding form. If Staker is playing better than the young guys, then he should get the nod.

I think its partially the fact that we know that Redden, Rich and Leuey are returning next year and finding it hard to see how the team fits together. Though this is being discussed in that other thread

I hadn't commented on the other discussion but my view is that we're coming second last for a reason. That is because, as promising as they are and as hard as they try, the young blokes aren't at the required level. By way of example, for all that Taylor offers, he struggles with some fundamental aspects of the game, like tackling. He drops off tackles way too easily, simply due to his lack of strength. That is something that he'd be addressing and, ordinarily, might amount to a non-negotiable that he needs to fix up urgently.

Now, I don't suggest that Taylor will be the one to drop out of the 22. But, his strengths and weaknesses will be measured against all of the blokes on the fringe of the 22. Instead of being the 15th or 16th bloke selected, he might be the 21st or 22nd. That means that he'll need to perform at a high level to retain his spot. And that will be a good thing for the side.

I have singled Taylor out but the same goes for Beams (involvement, ground coverage), Bewick (consistency), Mayes (involvement, contested work), Paparone (consistency, errors), Gardiner (mobility, errors) etc. Those guys really haven't done enough to be considered absolute locks in the best side we can offer. We are actually better off with one or two of them being sent back to the reserves to "earn a spot". I have no issue in fitting Rich and co back into the side because, put simply, they perform at a higher level than the young blokes.

We really need to offer Maguire 1 season extensions. He could still give us another 2-3 years service if his body holds out, and hes moving well despite his leg.

Goose has been great. Is prone to some brain fades but is playing well enough to earn a one year contract. Played over 60 games now for the lions and has been valuable especially considering we picked him up at pick 91.

He's game on Hawkins at Kardinia Park in round 23 last season was huge. Really got into Hawkins face and had the Geelong faithful going bananas. I think he kept Hawkins to one goal. Goose was brilliant

By my count, only 11 senior listed players remain unsigned for 2015:

Not saying I agree, but the guys I think will be delisted include: (1) Moloney, (2) Crisp, (3) Lisle, (4) Raines, (5) Polkinghorne, (6) Wearden (although, I think he'll be demoted to a rookie), (R) Michael (rookie).

Those I think will be re-signed if terms can be agreed:

(7) McGrath (although could go either way);
(8) Martin;
(9) Paparone (again the jungle drums are beating of a possible return to WA);
(10) Lester (my reports were that he had a contract in front of him months ago, evidently not); and
(11) Maguire (surely he gets another year contract; surely!)

Retired: (12) Brown and possibly (13) Staker (contracted for next year).

Then of course there could be a trade we just don't see coming.

Personally I hope all of (7)-(11) inclusive are re-signed.

one thing to take into consideration with resignings is to make a trade you need to trade something.

seems unlikely we'll trade our first round pick. seems our third round pick is likely to be tied up with academy.

Lester hasn't locked down a spot in the team this year as strongly as I'd expected. Paparone not resigning yet is interesting when compared to the rest of the kids. Martin's trade value is increasing week to week.

not saying that I'd want to lose any of them given the state of our list but maybe they are the trade bait.

Paparone + early second round pick = Darling + third round pick (proper tall forward that Viney on SEN keeps saying West Coast should use as trade bait)

Lester for Tayte Pears (a bigger defender ready to replace Maguire, Merritt, Patfull in next 1-3 years)

Martin for Jarrad Waite. (a player who can play tall forward as kids develop rather than a ruck when we have Leuey)

DEFINTELY NOT ADVOCATING for any of those specific trades. just random names vaguely in the ball park of our needs that I could come up with in 2 minutes while eating lunch aat work!

one thing to take into consideration with resignings is to make a trade you need to trade something.

seems unlikely we'll trade our first round pick. seems our third round pick is likely to be tied up with academy.

Lester hasn't locked down a spot in the team this year as strongly as I'd expected. Paparone not resigning yet is interesting when compared to the rest of the kids. Martin's trade value is increasing week to week.

not saying that I'd want to lose any of them given the state of our list but maybe they are the trade bait.

Paparone + early second round pick = Darling + third round pick (proper tall forward that Viney on SEN keeps saying West Coast should use as trade bait)

Lester for Tayte Pears (a bigger defender ready to replace Maguire, Merritt, Patfull in next 1-3 years)

Martin for Jarrad Waite. (a player who can play tall forward as kids develop rather than a ruck when we have Leuey)

DEFINTELY NOT ADVOCATING for any of those specific trades. just random names vaguely in the ball park of our needs that I could come up with in 2 minutes while eating lunch aat work!
Martin is more valuable to us than Waite is to Carlton. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

White-anting your best mate. The number one quality of a mod. You've got my vote Tairy.:thumbsu::D

Look it's just a casual thing, I'm always open to an upgrade... ;)

For the purposes of this thread, it's probably worth mentioning Bewick re-signing.

I honestly wouldn't have called that two months ago.

Sometimes things can change quickly.

On that subject, I reckon Maguire's odds are improving steadily. Our backline is working pretty well and he seems to complement our group of young, mobile, not especially physical defenders. With Merrett's indifferent form I think there's a spot for Goose.

For the purposes of this thread, it's probably worth mentioning Bewick re-signing.

I honestly wouldn't have called that two months ago.

Sometimes things can change quickly.

On that subject, I reckon Maguire's odds are improving steadily. Our backline is working pretty well and he seems to complement our group of young, mobile, not especially physical defenders. With Merrett's indifferent form I think there's a spot for Goose.
Why are your derailing this thread with relevant content?

I would be amazed if Goose wasn't offered a contract, even if only a one year deal. IMO, our backline finally looked a cohesive unit once he was selected and I don't think it was no coincidence that Joel Patfull returned to his 2012-13 form once Goose was brought back in. Gardiner also has a bit of a strut about himself when his mentor Goose isn't far away either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back