Discussion Return to Moorabbin

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
How much was the much-lauded Bombers new home?

26.5m according to:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...ils-new-training-facility-20131118-2xr7c.html

Hawks are deciding on whether to spend 30m upgrading their current stuff or 50m on a brand new facility.

Freo is going to a 60m joint community centre/waterslide park.

If we got that 34.m and it included a social club and our standalone VFL team I would go out on a limb and say it could easily be one of the best footy bases in the league. The VFL and social club create a real opportunity to turn the place into a big football based money raiser and a real 'home' to gather support around.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is an amazing sign. If it's got to the point that the Council is upgrading the funding then I can only assume that talks with the AFL and State Govt are similarly progressed.

The current confirmed funding tally is:
State Govt: 8m
Kingston Council: 5m (up from 1.5m)
AFL/Football: 1.4m
Confirmed total: 14.4

Possible extras on top of current:
State Govt: 10m AFL funding for JO that hasn't been re-allocated: 10m (Source: my gut)
Possible end total: 34.4m
Think it's an EXTRA $5m from Seaford, not sure, but think. That makes it around $36m.
How much was the much-lauded Bombers new home?
$26.5m, but just reading about it, they have a lot, lot more space than we probably can at Moorabbin. Not complaining at all, though.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Think it's an EXTRA $5m from Seaford, not sure, but think. That makes it around $36m.

$26.5m, but just reading about it, they have a lot, lot more space than we probably can at Moorabbin. Not complaining at all, though.

So an extra 5 on top of the 1.5 they already had committed? Either way it's a good result (yours is better) :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yeah, I think the Dons have 2 MCG size grounds out there.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I drove past Essendons base at Tulla yesterday on my way home from the airport, their main ground looks very similar to Seaford (assume at Etihad dimensions as it didnt look huge) & the other ground looked in pretty an average state. What they're got that would be fantastic is half a ground inside an old aircraft hangar...which would be huge for practicing set plays, etc in private.

There's heaps of space at Moorabbin in the old car park...it just depends if council approval can be achieved to build a facility in that space.

I wonder how much building an indoor facility like the one they used at the University of Colorado (the golf ball?) Would cost...

You'd assume that the training building would be built on the Linton St side of the ground, where the old grandstand was.

You gotta think that the trips to Colorado, and the time spent in the College Football facilities were also about us learning what it would take to have a world-class facility. I wouldn't be surprised if there had even been a few discussions with their admin around cost to have such a facility. If so, it makes the expense of going all the way over there start to make a bit more cents... I mean sense.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Kingston Council will commit $4million towards an expanded $29million Moorabbin Reserve community football hub – that includes the return of the St Kilda Football Club to Linton Street – plus $1million towards landscaping works to upgrade the surrounding parkland

So $29m is the end total.

Confirmed directly for the facilities:
State Govt: 8m
Kingston Council: 4m
AFL/Football: 1.4m
Confirmed total: 13.4

That leaves $15.6 still yet to be found. But there is a rumored $10m from the State Govt and I'm sure the AFL could handle the rest.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am one of those people who don't quite buy into the stigma about Seaford and personally it is pretty convenient for me. But, I understand how much it would mean to most of the club's supporter base and the club's image to be back in Moorabbin, so I hope everything works out well and the Saints are back there in no time.

Jun 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am one of those people who don't quite buy into the stigma about Seaford and personally it is pretty convenient for me. But, I understand how much it would mean to most of the club's supporter base and the club's image to be back in Moorabbin, so I hope everything works out well and the Saints are back there in no time.

I think it's just a bit more accessible for everyone as well, which certainly helps. I live in the Northern Suburbs, and would be keen to go down for a couple training sessions across the year. Due to it being in Seaford, that's a 60-70km drive for me, 1 way. Whereas going down to Moorabbin is a 60km drive round trip.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
W
I think it's just a bit more accessible for everyone as well, which certainly helps. I live in the Northern Suburbs, and would be keen to go down for a couple training sessions across the year. Due to it being in Seaford, that's a 60-70km drive for me, 1 way. Whereas going down to Moorabbin is a 60km drive round trip.
was looking up on google maps (because quite frankly I cannot remember morrabbin days too clearly) and what is the parking situation like there?

Back