Autopsy Review: Collingwood v Melbourne (37 pt loss) - That was D-Day

Remove this Banner Ad

So this is what it feels like when your team is tanking...we must be.... it's incomprehensible.... Why else would we drop white (with Cloke out injured) and play a 19 year old in his 4th game as our sole key forward? And start Elliott as our sub? If Elliott is in the team, he starts, and is up forward, if he's too injured don't play him.
We are not tanking...unfortunately...we just cannot win.
If the rumours re Treloar are true...then our 1st round pick is being traded...so whether it's pick 7, 8 or 9 doesn't really matter.
We are not tanking...

I can not remember us ever losing 6 in a row if we don't turn it around next week heads have to role. We are not fit enough, we don't develop our players skills and our recruitment post 2010 has been s**t house

hahahaha... as I was writing my post I knew that we probably had actually won the center clearances overall... but what I meant was how do they beat us in the clearances in key moments of a game? Today when we really needed to dig deep they seemed to get the quick clearance. Was very frustrating. The other factor is that Jones seems to be un-tackle-able...
Was actually just doing my MM post match pressor explanation as to why we lost...

The reigning ANZAC day medalist has his contract due to expire end of season. Selection committee probably gave him one last chance.

Because of the other key forwards on our list, one is injured (Cloke), another hasn't been good and has probably already been earmarked for delisting end of year (Gault), and our other one has been playing really badly and I doubt anybody would dispute that he was long long overdue to be dropped (White).

Because he basically didn't have fitness to play a full game (admitted by Bucks in his press conference)

Because Goldsack is a better player. And as we later found out, it's not a good idea to carry too much inexperience.

I guess it was a choice between him and Scharenberg. You can't play too many kids in the same side, otherwise we end up like GWS have been for the last 4 years.

I pretty much hate al those replies, although you are right, they are the answers to my questions, ableit cotradictory. You say its not a good idea to carry too much inexperience and I agree. Thats why the forward line should not consist of Moore alone. White or Reid should have played. Droppping White with Cloke missing was madness.

As for Sharenburg/Marsh, one of them could have been selected ahead of Seedsman and the other alate substitute for Goldsack.

Elliot id too good for the sub bench. If he wasnt up to a fll game he shouldnt have played. Dwyer should have been sub, if in the 22 at all.

Was a very poor and extremely disappointing showing BUT the world has not ended. We've pushed some fairly good sides to the limit this year... there's been progress (of sorts). Not easy to see after a shocking loss, but maybe some perspective... and a grip, is in order?

The general level of frustration on this thread is around a 9/10. It deserves to be at 7/10. My thoughts:

1. We played one of the youngest/most inexperienced sides I've ever seen.
- Scharenberg - didn't know he was playing until this afternoon
- Maynard and Moore - great talents but raw
- De Goey - elite talent, but played the past dozen and probably due a rest.

4 young players with a combined 20-odd games experience. Two of them in the backline. We have a lot of experienced players out due to form/injury and s**t is likely to happen in this scenario.

2. Fitness wise, Elliot starting as sub was the only plausible way to include him today - according to Buckley. Ideally he would've had another week off. Completely justifiable selection IMO and worth the risk as sub.

3. Witts and Grundy doesn't work, but who else can ruck for us? Jesse White is s**t/dropped, and Moore had to play forward. We desperately need to sort this out.

4. Frost and Brown battle hard but won't lead us to top 4 and contention for a flag. We need to plan for life without Reid by making a serious offer for Jake Carlisle. We are doing nothing but handicapping ourselves by waiting on his return, despite having no other players on our list capable of playing his role. Scharenberg may be able to after 20-30 games - if he stays at the club.

5. Seedsman is a soft**** and depth at best. Ditto Oxley, who I'm aware didn't play but is in the same category as Seedsman.

6. Adams/Greenwood both played for us for the first time this season, and started a fair few centre bounces together. Greenwood needs a few games to adapt but both in tandem will be excellent for us.

7. Dwyer was played because he provides experience (relative). A better option than Ben Kennedy who deserved to be dropped after his abomination of a game last week. I still would've preferred Blair personally.

Overall a frustrating day. But with the age of the group, an off day against mediocre opposition was always a likely occurrence at some point this season. Not surprising it has come after an energy-sapping few weeks and run of tough and unlucky results.

Beating Carlton will go a long way to settling all the talk and grumbling around the 6 game losing streak.

Still shaking my head at what happened today, I've been proud of their performances so far this year but today was just unacceptable.
They have a long way to go before finals can be concisdered. Some real heat needs to be applied to a few of these players after their effort today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, and I understand the frustration. But then I move on, see the bigger picture and not call for players and coaches to be sacked.

I guess complaining on the internet for days on end is my solution to the frustration.

We player bad, I am annoyed. However I don't think we will play bad forever and believe with some maturity, some more structure up forward and some handy additions will make all the difference.

But I guess that isn't really welcome on this board sometimes. I have been saying all year that we will lose some games we shouldn't and win some we shouldn't. Just need to avoid this board on game day altogether after a loss because I can't handle the overdramatic sweeping statements that are posted.

So which games have we won that we shouldn't?

Varcoe has been good but Crisp we lost Beams for him. I am happy with how he is going but it cost us a lot

You're right about crisp. I keep forgetting about beams. Lol.

TRavis Varcoe on the other hand is currently the best player in our team. And by a long way. I hope his repeat efforts, aggression and passion rub off. Don't want him to lose his mojo.

If he isn't leading the Copland I'd be shocked.

Yeah I've noticed also that Crisp has run out of legs the last few weeks. He'll bounce back, but it is frustrating.

No, and I understand the frustration. But then I move on, see the bigger picture and not call for players and coaches to be sacked.

I guess complaining on the internet for days on end is my solution to the frustration.

We player bad, I am annoyed. However I don't think we will play bad forever and believe with some maturity, some more structure up forward and some handy additions will make all the difference.

But I guess that isn't really welcome on this board sometimes. I have been saying all year that we will lose some games we shouldn't and win some we shouldn't. Just need to avoid this board on game day altogether after a loss because I can't handle the overdramatic sweeping statements that are posted.
Win against sides we shouldn't. That would be nice. Not something we've accomplished yet! I guess a lot of fans want to see real concrete progress and don't want to accept what may just be a terminal decline into mediocrity. Yes it's an internet forum about a sport people are very passionate about and the overdramatic posts are at least entertaining reading. There may be some wailing and gnashing of teeth expected after 6 losses in a row. And maybe you are under-reacting and next year before you know it we're like Carlton this year? Who knows? Who are you to judge? I've seen enough this year to make me optimistic about next year but I've also seen that Monty python movie where the King of Atlantis keeps reassuring everyone they're not sinking. For me next year has to be a quantum leap up or it's rebuild the rebuild and new coach time.

That being said, Swan's last few weeks have been pretty good.

This ^

Dane deserves some credit, he has played very well for a bloke in the twilight of his career. He has been our rock in the midfield at times that we have needed him, as for Pendles.. I don't know what's wrong with him.. I mean he is still putting across pretty elite games but he looks sapped and really needs some support. He shouldn't be going forward imo, we should have that sorted by other means. Our forward line needs to get into gear and the reliance on midfielders kicking goals has to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back