Autopsy Review: Collingwood v Melbourne (37 pt loss) - That was D-Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes of course.. talks of a dynasty. Then all of our senior players suddenly hit a brick wall. Must have been a tsunami at the westpac centre.

I thought so. No team has done it. Yet we should have tried. I guess some team has to do it some day, may as well have been us.

He made up for it in smarts and skill. Havent had a player be able to deliver inside 50 like he has since.

I'm not knocking Didak, was a huge fan, but he was finished and the club made the right call. Another season playing VFL would not have enhanced his standing and we needed the space on the list. Wouldn't have Langdon or Marsh without freeing up the places of Jolly, Didak etc.

Hawthorn's current success was based on their super drafts (Buddy and Roughy in one draft along with Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis, Cyril)
They've done well to keep their champions injury free for a long time but Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, West Coast, North, Port, Collingwood and even Carlton have had success in that time. Four years ago you would have been wanting us to be the next Geelong!...now its the Hawks....lets just be the best Pies we can be? Our turn will come if we work hard enough for long enough.

Alister Clarkson is the key to the success at Hawthorn and the people around him, Sure the players are very good too. Clarkson is a profession coach with interllect. Yes, he analyses the game and speaks well. The point here is that he's a step ahead of the competition. We are not. We seem to be tinkering with something, but I don't know what it is. In any case it has not worked the last 6 games or the 2H of last year

all im saying is i have never in my life seen such a high turnover of players particularly from a premiership team.. that turnover of players you would have expected from a carlton but even those s,,, kickers ddnt turn over as much as what we did and they were roc bottom.. if thats not sinnister then i have absolutely no idea what is. brainwashed to believe we had players who wernt worth much at the top end of their careers simply bc the mm/bucley transition wan exactly smooth sailing. i will not be made to believe that pendlebury's words of a culture problem effected the sides performances in 2012 when the team before the last h and a game in 2011 had a % f 175 and sitting top of the ladder obliterating sides. im not buying it one bit.. bit like someone telling me the right thing to do is jump off a cliff.. id say yeah ok man. bs
Looking at 2011. Of the last 11 rounds, we played 6 top 8 sides. Of those games, only two of the wins were convincing. We beat Hawks in rd 15 by 41 and from memory, they were missing a few. We smashed Essendon by 12 goals but they made the finals with an 11 and 10 W/L ratio. We all know what happened in the last round. Geelong came out breathing Fire and our boys showed what was going on upstairs by going through the motions. They tested a strategy against us and it worked. Maxwell suggested that in the GF, our strategy of Man on man worked for nearly 3 quarters but then some players then reverted to zoning rather than maintain what they were doing. The rest is painful history.

2011 was a great home and away season but some of us get carried away by excellent form in the first half of the season but forget the cracks that started to show in the second half. Some players were struggling with more than your average niggle as well but MM had left players like Medhurst in the Magoos for too long. I don't blame him for that because he was looking for consistency in list and form.
Even rumours were abound that the some of the players were struggling to maintain high motivation levels due to the smashings we were giving sides then.

Back then a mate of mine, on the eve of the finals said that those Pies pricks have got it in the bag until I showed him the form line of the last 11 or so games. He changed his mind and said it's between Pies, Hawks and Cats.

Our turn will come if we work hard enough for long enough.[/QUOTE]

This is in the Presidents speech every year at the Tigers, Demons, Bulldogs and Saints AGM's. We should take a leaf out of their book!

Wasn't making an anology. Just highlighting that while seed was poor, he still had more impact than a cherished messiah and doesn't necessarily merit delisting.

You're missing the point. Why are you comparing the possession tally of an outside mid to a KPF in his 4th game? Makes no sense. Seedsman has been awful since Anzac Day.

You're missing the point. Why are you comparing the possession tally of an outside mid to a KPF in his 4th game? Makes no sense. Seedsman has been awful since Anzac Day.

Actually you're missing the point.

Dave said Seedsman is a spud and we need to delist. I was just highlighting that he had 9 possessions in a half compared to Moore who had 6 in 4 quarters at 33% DE just to highlight the bias of Dave's post. I know Moore has played only 4 games and I'm optimistic that he'll be a very good player. But for Dave to suggest Moore was very good because he tried yet label a guy who had more impact a spud to be delisted I think needs to be challenged.

I'm not comparing the 2 as players and the only thing they have in common is that both were ordinary Saturday.

I'm not suggesting that Seedsman has been good or should have been in the side, I've actually been saying the opposite and have been since ANZAC Day.

I'm not even saying Moore having an ordinary game is an issue or unexpected.

Last edited:
I watched Footscray blitz it yesterday. The thing that stood out to me was their entry into forward 50. Flat, bullet passes onto the chests of mid sized forwards like Crameri, Stringer and Dickson. Where as on Saturday, poor Alex Fasolo had 50 metre helicopters sat on his head, while he was 1 on 2 or 3.
He's not Cloke, but even Cloke wouldn't be able to do much with that service. There seemed to be no idea, we panicked all day, and the best we could come up with was mongrel punts as deep into the 50 as we could, instead of honouring a lead once in a while.

I watched Footscray blitz it yesterday. The thing that stood out to me was their entry into forward 50. Flat, bullet passes onto the chests of mid sized forwards like Crameri, Stringer and Dickson. Where as on Saturday, poor Alex Fasolo had 50 metre helicopters sat on his head, while he was 1 on 2 or 3.
He's not Cloke, but even Cloke wouldn't be able to do much with that service. There seemed to be no idea, we panicked all day, and the best we could come up with was mongrel punts as deep into the 50 as we could, instead of honouring a lead once in a while.

When we are Bombing the Ball. You know we are playing Crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Ladder prediction for the rest of the season, with us only losing to Sydney... fair to say we are cooked.

interestingly the Crows & Cats game where they shared the points could work against or for either way.

upload_2015-8-3_14-35-49.png

My Ladder prediction for the rest of the season, with us only losing to Sydney... fair to say we are cooked.

interestingly the Crows & Cats game where they shared the points could work against or for either way.

View attachment 158796

The Season is Over. We are no Chance of Making Finals.

Just playing for Pride Now

Looking at 2011. Of the last 11 rounds, we played 6 top 8 sides. Of those games, only two of the wins were convincing. We beat Hawks in rd 15 by 41 and from memory, they were missing a few. We smashed Essendon by 12 goals but they made the finals with an 11 and 10 W/L ratio. We all know what happened in the last round. Geelong came out breathing Fire and our boys showed what was going on upstairs by going through the motions. They tested a strategy against us and it worked. Maxwell suggested that in the GF, our strategy of Man on man worked for nearly 3 quarters but then some players then reverted to zoning rather than maintain what they were doing. The rest is painful history.

2011 was a great home and away season but some of us get carried away by excellent form in the first half of the season but forget the cracks that started to show in the second half. Some players were struggling with more than your average niggle as well but MM had left players like Medhurst in the Magoos for too long. I don't blame him for that because he was looking for consistency in list and form.
Even rumours were abound that the some of the players were struggling to maintain high motivation levels due to the smashings we were giving sides then.

Back then a mate of mine, on the eve of the finals said that those Pies pricks have got it in the bag until I showed him the form line of the last 11 or so games. He changed his mind and said it's between Pies, Hawks and Cats.

i appreciate what you have to say.. the last 5 yrs 2011-2015 has been great in parts but had we done things right.. so much better.

on a somewha different note.. lets not cut corners.. the club is what matters most.. every player that steps foot into the club his first lesson should be on the history of collingwood fc. i for one couldn't play for a club if i dont know what im playing for.

our game plan should be centred on aspects of the game that are offensive.. offense first.. this hard nosed pressure game plan can be incorporated into that. i find that its just not working. makes no sense to cont on with it when im sure each individual player if you did ask him does he enjoy playing this style.. answer would be ummm and arghhh.. let the players express themselves bucks.. dont restrain em in this regimented approach. my opinion.

I am always frustrated by the fact we have recruited players with sub AFL standard kicking skills.
The Hawks made a huge deal of only picking elite kicks for quite a while which led to their success. (Hopefully James Frawley starts a downward spiral).

View attachment 158796

Bulldogs vs Richmond would be an amazing elimination final.

I am always frustrated by the fact we have recruited players with sub AFL standard kicking skills.
The Hawks made a huge deal of only picking elite kicks for quite a while which led to their success. (Hopefully James Frawley starts a downward spiral).

Seems that way. Hawks pick players who can Kick and we Draft ones that we think we can make into Elite Kicks.

Does not work that way

Alister Clarkson is the key to the success at Hawthorn and the people around him, Sure the players are very good too. Clarkson is a profession coach with interllect. Yes, he analyses the game and speaks well. The point here is that he's a step ahead of the competition. We are not. We seem to be tinkering with something, but I don't know what it is. In any case it has not worked the last 6 games or the 2H of last year

Clarko...may be ahead of the pack tactics wise....maybe.
But he became head coach at Hawthorn the year after Buddy, Roughy and Jordan Lewis were drafted and 4 years after the 2001 "superdraft" which netted the Hawks Hodgy, Mitchell, Campbell Brown and Ricky Ladsen.
So he sort've inherited a list of superstars that had been put together by previous list managers...he topped it off nicely in 2007 grabbing Cyril at pick 12.

He's always had the cattle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back