Roast Review Rnd 8: Melbourne 103 dft Western Bulldogs 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Lacks in the height department there.

Thought he might be fairly nimble and mobile round the ground. At least on par with Ayce anyway. Cats are known to land on their feet often and after the amount of players falling over yesterday it couldn't hurt having him on board even as a balance coach

Thought he might be fairly nimble and mobile round the ground. At least on par with Ayce anyway. Cats are known to land on their feet often and after the amount of players falling over yesterday it couldn't hurt having him on board even as a balance coach
These are some good points you make. He has a tendency to go AWOL though.

I very rarely post but have been compelled to contribute to this thread. My observation on the reaction from the broader public, and our fans, is that by overstating how well we were traveling earlier in the year, we have set ourselves up for this fall.

Of course we should expect to beat St Kilda and Melbourne this year based on our form from the early rounds, but the reality is that if we had been offered 4-4 before the start of the year, no one on this board would have said no. We just would've expected some different results in achieving it.

The same blokes you laud for winning games with so little experience, are the same blokes you pillory when the results don't go our way. AFL is hard and it rewards those who have had time to build strength, speed and stamina through experience.

I was gutted yesterday, and am bitterly disappointed today. But we're on a journey, and I'm enjoying the ride overall. I get to go to the footy every week and look forward to seeing a bunch of well drilled (essentially) boys have a crack and for the first time in a long time, I'm enjoying the way they go about it. By all means, get mad and froth at the mouth, but some perspective helps.

Finally, despite losing yesterday, most observers would still prefer the Bulldogs' list and game style. After the Macca era, we know that their style of play can only take you so far.

This isn't about accepting mediocrity. We're building something here.

As a Cats fan, I am interested to see some calls for Hamling to be brought in. Obviously he's been doing okay at VFL level?

I am not really sure why it didn't work out at Geelong (we could use another KPD coming through), but I'll be very interested to see how he goes if/when he gets a game for you guys.

yeah i didn't mind hunter too much in all honesty. he's playing a really outside role at the moment but has some skills, although yesterday even our most skilful players were inept with the footy. I'd keep him in though.

As a Cats fan, I am interested to see some calls for Hamling to be brought in. Obviously he's been doing okay at VFL level?

I am not really sure why it didn't work out at Geelong (we could use another KPD coming through), but I'll be very interested to see how he goes if/when he gets a game for you guys.
Been the best defender in the VFL so far this season for us

Rubbish, Macrae has not been great the last few weeks and just average most of the year.

Where did I say he has been great ?
But what he has been ,is better than about 6 blokes that have been picked before him these last two weeks.
BS decision not picking him.

based on Macrae's performance in the VFL he does deserve a recall, but he needs to cut out the "pretty" kicks & go for percentage footy. I have no problem with Macrae coming in if he has proven himself.

I do agree with Proffessor though that we appear to be putting player development first to the detriment of team success. I don't like this one iota and it brings me back to the pain of the BMAC game plan. We are a young side from the stats but IMO we should not be risking results for the sake of giving a player more game time if he hasnt been able to contribute and stand up in the position he has been asked to play

Problem was that we didn't have the same defensive structure as we have had for the rest of the year.

We only got 3 goals from direct forced turnovers, something that has got t be by far for the worst of the season.

My initial thought was that our zone faltered in the extra width of the G and Melbourne exploited that better than Richmond in round 2

I think Bevo's honeymoon period ended in the second half of the saints game. Bevo has done a great job to date, even though some of his selections to the uniformed supporters look a bit puzzling.

We rallied in the Freo game but our young side was found wanting yesterday, were we looked tired and lacked run from our spring board backline and out form mid field.

Not sure how many wins we get this year but we need to get games into players (please Bev play Macrae) and find out if Grant, Roberts are required players to make a platform for next season.

Problem was that we didn't have the same defensive structure as we have had for the rest of the year.

We only got 3 goals from direct forced turnovers, something that has got t be by far for the worst of the season.

My initial thought was that our zone faltered in the extra width of the G and Melbourne exploited that better than Richmond in round 2
I personally think we had a let down after a massive effort against Freo. Mentally we were lost from the first bounce, Melbourne were the opposite. Kids have trouble staying in the game week in, week out. Ups and downs need to be expected, we'll get there but it won't be this year.

yeah i didn't mind hunter too much in all honesty. he's playing a really outside role at the moment but has some skills, although yesterday even our most skilful players were inept with the footy. I'd keep him in though.
I thought he was okay. Defensive intent was there, at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing result, bit of a reality check. The positive for me is that maybe all the bandwagon supporters will find another second favourite team, or 'feelgood' story. I would prefer to be feared and even disliked, instead of being associated, perhaps subconsciously, with the thought that 'at least people like us'. That could lead to a complacent attitude.

i think Stevens is getting off too lightly for his performance. for a player of his size and years in the system he should have had an influential match against the young Melbourne midfield. Instead it was yet another so-so performance of the type he has dished up far too often and will do so into the future imo. I know some on here like him but i just don't see it.

And one more thing. A poster last week mentioned Biggs' great disposal in the VFL. There should be a red card for people who get my hopes up like that. It is not funny.

i think Stevens is getting off too lightly for his performance. for a player of his size and years in the system he should have had an influential match against the young Melbourne midfield. Instead it was yet another so-so performance of the type he has dished up far too often and will do so into the future imo. I know some on here like him but i just don't see it.

And one more thing. A poster last week mentioned Biggs' great disposal in the VFL. There should be a red card for people who get my hopes up like that. It is not funny.
Biggs did have good disposal in the VFL. Would you rather people lie? Struggled with increased pressure. As far as young Melbourne midfield goes, they were significantly older than ours with most being more experienced than Stevens.

He should not be playing until the hand is healed. It's affecting his whole game and by extension the team. I wouldn't want to be laying tackles with a broken hand, we saw him grimace a couple of times. Matty Boyd was out for weeks when he broke his hand. I strongly feel playing him injured is easily the worst selection decision this year.
Does show though how much the MC value his inside outside and rucking work.

Biggs did have good disposal in the VFL. Would you rather people lie? Struggled with increased pressure. As far as young Melbourne midfield goes, they were significantly older than ours with most being more experienced than Stevens.

I recall a couple of kicks Biggs had when he was clear that still missed targets. The first time i have seen him play so i will just leave it at i have never seen good disposal from him. I hope that changes but for me the signs were not good.

Melbourne has a share of youngsters in the team. I thought Stevenss could have and should have done more. I am aware he did play a very good game against St Kilda a while back but it has been a while and i think the footage is black and white.

based on Macrae's performance in the VFL he does deserve a recall, but he needs to cut out the "pretty" kicks & go for percentage footy. I have no problem with Macrae coming in if he has proven himself.

I do agree with Proffessor though that we appear to be putting player development first to the detriment of team success. I don't like this one iota and it brings me back to the pain of the BMAC game plan. We are a young side from the stats but IMO we should not be risking results for the sake of giving a player more game time if he hasnt been able to contribute and stand up in the position he has been asked to play
I see it that Mcrae has played more hard inside footy than ever last few games and needed the break from the intensity and bone rattlers which was affecting his class. They gotta be able to win without any single individuals cherry ripe anyway. It should have been a good time to rest up a few anyway.
Hah.

I had a great laugh watching everyone melt on here especially over cordy and Goodes who I have said for the previous year are no good , Jong needs weeks off get his hand right t Boyd wow he is a mile off it at the moment , bonts can't shake a tag put him at full foward or half back , dale is still a few months to a year off it , hrovat macrae redpath minson Webb and McLean need to come in this week and give gws a touch up

I had a great laugh watching everyone melt on here especially over cordy and Goodes who I have said for the previous year are no good , Jong needs weeks off get his hand right t Boyd wow he is a mile off it at the moment , bonts can't shake a tag put him at full foward or half back , dale is still a few months to a year off it , hrovat macrae redpath minson Webb and McLean need to come in this week and give gws a touch up
You also said Biggs would get 40 kicks at 100%, and Hogan and Watts would kick ten between them. Throw enough darts at a dartboard you are bound to hit the bullseye occasionally.

You also said Biggs would get 40 kicks at 100%, and Hogan and Watts would kick ten between them. Throw enough darts at a dartboard you are bound to hit the bullseye occasionally.
Biggs was a slight exaggeration and I got banned for trolling with that other comment

Really don't think you were on your own there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back