Roast Review Rnd 8: Melbourne 103 dft Western Bulldogs 64

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we struggled with Melbourne's flood, and because we kept kicking points their confidence rose and ours dropped, and with it, effort and skills.

Gutting to watch, but it's all part of the journey. Kids take time to deliver consistent high intensity footy from quarter to quarter and game to game. Wally needs some help in the middle, someone else to throw their weight around. We won't be favorite next week so we'll probably win by 10 goals.

I don't know if you were a supporter through the Rocket years, but supporters got incredibly frustrated with Rocket who always played the best 22 regardless of form, quality of their game etc. meanwhile our kids never got a chance to develop as they never got a game.

I like it that Bev dropped McCrae it sets a standard of what we expect each week. He may be the difference this week against GWS.

I just heard Goodes was suspended. Was his bump high??? I was at the game and it was a very hard bump but didn't look reportable. I have not seen a replay.

On this issue was there any debate in the media about whether Nick Riewoldt was investigated for his clumsy tackle. Whether he knocked himself out is irrelevant. He initiated high contact against a player with the ball and caused injury.

I don't know if you were a supporter through the Rocket years, but supporters got incredibly frustrated with Rocket who always played the best 22 regardless of form, quality of their game etc. meanwhile our kids never got a chance to develop as they never got a game.

I like it that Bev dropped McCrae it sets a standard of what we expect each week. He may be the difference this week against GWS.

I hope so.. But I couldn't bare seeing us getting destroyed by GWS. There's a time to do that and a time to play a team to win.. And next week if we're 4-5 we are potentially heading for a landslide of losses if we dont reign it in

Last edited:
I just heard Goodes was suspended. Was his bump high??? I was at the game and it was a very hard bump but didn't look reportable. I have not seen a replay.

On this issue was there any debate in the media about whether Nick Riewoldt was investigated for his clumsy tackle. Whether he knocked himself out is irrelevant. He initiated high contact against a player with the ball and caused injury.
I hate the new bump rule, that bump by Goodes was a pure and fantastic bump. I understand the importance of protecting the head, but for me taking the fair bump out is a loss for our great game.

I hate the new bump rule, that bump by Goodes was a pure and fantastic bump. I understand the importance of protecting the head, but for me taking the fair bump out is a loss for our great game.
No, no - it's all good. There's still a "fair bump" in the game. It's when a player has his head over the ball and can't see your 93kg frame hurtling towards his head. That's fair.

You just aren't allowed to bump a bloke who's upright and can see you coming. That's way too dangerous.

How depressing...had a bad feeling about that game and unfortunately it was right, was nervous from the get go. Which I haven't had all year even the saints game.

Dahlhaus was awesome i thought, Wood,Roberts & Wallis played well, M Boyd was OK and everyone else was a few levels below what we've done this year. I can except that Roos game style stifled our outside run but were was our pressure??? Was putrid. And I thought after HT we could of swung the game back on our terms by going in hard and taking the game on like we have all year which we did but it was short lived and then we started bombing it down the line and to contests again which was all we had because not enough were working hard enough to create space or link up or to turn it over and go straight down the guts.

So frustrating but but its not the end of the world or even our year, actually quietly confident about the gws game which might sound silly.

Cordy must go can't compete and when he did hit Melbourne players lace out..Cordy,Goode's out Macrae and hopefully Minson back (seriously he patted the umpire on the back, what a sook)

Also Biggs was a huge letdown after all I had heard about him. Was playing at reserves pace, too slow to get rid of the ball but 1st game so deserves another go.

Not having a go at anyone, but just thought I'd mention that I seem to be one of the very few who didn't have a bad feeling about this game.

Well, not until about quarter time anyway.

Seriously, I thought we'd win in a canter. I now realise we are going to be totally unpredictable this year. We simply don't know from week to week which game we're going to bring. From early in the match we looked sluggish - lacked cohesion, energy and intensity. From then on it was ominous but I've no idea why we should suddenly bring THAT game, other than because we have a young and inexperienced side.

Can anyone enlighten me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having a go at anyone, but just thought I'd mention that I seem to be one of the very few who didn't have a bad feeling about this game.

Seriously, I thought we'd win in a canter. I now realise we are going to be totally unpredictable this year. We simply don't know from week to week which game we're going to bring. From early in the match we looked sluggish - lacked cohesion, energy and intensity. From then on it was ominous but I've no idea why we should suddenly bring THAT game, other than because we have a young and inexperienced side.

Can anyone enlighten me?
I, too, picked 'em to cut the Demons to pieces with our speed.

We just lacked intensity - tackling, endeavour for the ball ... Then, the confidence disappeared once the Demons started getting competitive. I actually thought for the first 2/3 or so of the 1st quarter we had the better of them, aside from innacuracy.

Someone mentioned this to Slobbo on Twitter and basically Slobbo laughed in his face along with plenty of other goons. The guy came back and said that he didn't believe Riewoldt should go, however he was merely stating what "the rules" say
As for goodes, he left the ground but got him with a perfect shirtfront IMO. Perhaps because it was a reasonable way off the ball?

Can anyone enlighten me?

We looked tired. And when we're tired, mentally and physically, it's far easier to bomb the ball forward rather than have to think through the process of how we get it in there more efficiently. And anyway players just weren't presenting with enough options or creating space for each other. Just not freshened up, like Melbourne were (who had days off to forget about their previous drubbing).

Can anyone enlighten me?

We absolutely crush the Crows, record a tough, gritty and 'season defining' win against the Swans and then we fail to even show up yesterday. We looked like we couldn't be stuffed.

Who knows what Bulldogs side will turn up this week? The clueless, fumbling, unco side or the Giant killers?

We absolutely crush the Crows, record a tough, gritty and 'season defining' win against the Swans and then we fail to even show up yesterday. We looked like we couldn't be stuffed.

As much as I hope it isn't the case, perhaps the guys had their eyes on the GWS game as that is one they really want and thought "the games against s**t opposition will take care of themselves"

Can anyone enlighten me?
My guess would be the effort we brought to the Freo game, also the loss may have left a little mental scarring. We just looked tired and didn't take any real risk with the ball in hand, reminded me of last year.

As much as I hope it isn't the case, perhaps the guys had their eyes on the GWS game as that is one they really want and thought "the games against s**t opposition will take care of themselves"

Agree, I hope that's not the case. Before the Saints game, I probably got ahead of myself, but I now know we can't afford to take anything for granted. Every win is critical. We might have taken one step forward this year, but games like yesterday put us two steps back.

39 points against Melbourne..I still can't believe it. That's a belting and embarrassing really.

My guess would be the effort we brought to the Freo game, also the loss may have left a little mental scarring. We just looked tired and didn't take any real risk with the ball in hand, reminded me of last year.
That could have a fair bit to do with it.
But gee, it's an alarmingly fine line in intensity if it makes the difference between nearly beating the unbeaten ladder leaders one week, then being a bit off your game the next week and losing by 40 points to a side coming off a 100 point thrashing.

Perhaps some credit to Melbourne for lifting. I guess there was only one way for them to go after last week's effort. And that Neale Daniher speech was enough to stir anyone with a pulse.

Can anyone enlighten me?
90% of footy is played above the shoulders (or some such proportion). The weight of expectation produced the opposite result. Analysis paralysis, or bluntly, choking. The Dees, fired up possibly by the Neale Daniher factor, threw us off our plan and we couldn't get back. As our plan couldn't get going, we got anxious, which led to further disarray, rather than calm regrouping. Anyway, that would be some of it I guess.

A slow start is usually a bad sign.

That could have a fair bit to do with it.
But gee, it's an alarmingly fine line in intensity if it makes the difference between nearly beating the unbeaten ladder leaders one week, then being a bit off your game the next week and losing by 40 points to a side coming off a 100 point thrashing.

Perhaps some credit to Melbourne for lifting. I guess there was only one way for them to go after last week's effort. And that Neale Daniher speech was enough to stir anyone with a pulse.
Fair to say they aren't as good as we made them look but also not as bad as they were a week earlier.
But such is life for a talented young side, we've actually been far more consistent than I expected. Only real disappointment for the season.

I was disappointed in the way we played into Melbourne's hands at the stoppage. We constantly got men around the ball and dived in, causing another stoppage, and another....terrible to watch (hi Bmac! You must be Roosy's lovechild he never met) but effective in wearing us down

We should have conceded the stoppages & freed up space, Melbourne didn't like having time to think about their next kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back