Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the worst result. We played horrible football and nearly stole it.

Lessons to be learned -

Man up the 7th defender. Wood was BOG.

Seb Ross is a starting player.

We look better with Hickey up forward. Lets Bruce and Roo get a better run at things.

Gilbert looks a yard off the pace. Was ok up forward at the end. Maybe a game in the middle? Need to limit his turnovers while he picks it up otherwise Acres/DMac are right back in.

While our flat out attcking gameplan is amazing to watch, we need to learn how to SLOW THE * DOWN when we are under pressure.

Lots of positives despite the loss. Looking forward to next week!

Last edited:

Lessons to be learned -

We look better with Hickey up forward.

While our flat out attcking gameplan is amazing to watch, we need to learn how to SLOW THE **** DOWN when we are under pressure.

So proud of our endeavour and heart!!

When both teams are contending in a few years, psychologically we have it all over that mob!

Special mention to Jack Newnes who had a sensational game. Underrated how good this kid is.

But … as it stands we lack the necessary polish and class to take all the chances we create through our effort.

Going forward, and I don’t care what position you play, if you cannot kick (especially under pressure and fatigue) you do not get drafted to St.Kilda.

And for anyone panicking about our overall age and being older, we played a team two years ahead of us in their rebuild. Still a few pieces to find but we are without a doubt on the right track.

Patience

All good and well to apply pressure and tackle but if you can't kick in the modern game when opposition players are zoned everywhere you won't win. Very frustrating to watch. So much is there bar execution.

Only got to watch the second half when the Bulldogs were kicking a string of goals. Great fight back by
the boys. Ross was terrific when he came on Lonie & Bruce very dangerous. Scheids clever and Roo
was phenemonal. One passage where he sprinted to the next contest to take a mark was unbelievable that late in game.
For some reason I´m not super disappointed with that loss. I think the team will learn more from it.

Sav should have backed himself with a shot on goal.

Steven is B grade... too many stuff ups IMO. Rich man's Jones at the moment.

Ray played his guts out and should be kept on the list.

Ross is silky smooth and should be starting 22.

Roo needs to play on for another 5 years. Even the most biased opposition supporter cannot deny him. That 1-2-3-4 with Bruce was magical.

Membrey needs to move quicker. His hold ups were costly.

Some seriously dumb umpiring. The block on Roo and the trip on Bruce. 2 kicks, 2 goals - there's the game right there.

Apart from that run in the 3rd, we played very well considering. Boys never give up and will only get better.

can anyone name an over 27 year old not named roo who we trust kicking the ball?

-really miss JB no other game before, need goddard in their because whats infornt of him is a bunch of crap kicks who S&^% themselves under pressure and guys who genially don't want the ball.
-the reason for savage to go forward and keep gilbert was the worst move of the night.
-longer killed it beyond my expectations, maybe his best game yet?
-dunstan although has CP no.s really is turning into a player who wants to avoid contact, have no idea whats happened to him since his games like against west coast last year when he wanted to be first to the drop of the ball
-newnes last month has been amazing, credit to him since he has had a slow start with tagging roles and roles in all areas of the ground
-I have no idea what body type and core lonie can have but its going to be fun.
-forward line looks 1,000,000x more dangerous without hickey.
-montagna off halfback didn't work at all.
- having only 2 draft picks playing from the last 2 years drafts out of the national draft isn't good enough when only 1 is injured, hopefully this is a wakeup call to the crappy selection comitee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lessons to be learned -

We look better with Hickey up forward. Lets Bruce and Roo and a better run at things.

Gilbert looks a yard off the pace. Was ok up forward at the end. Maybe a game in the middle? Need to limit his turnovers while he picks it up otherwise Acres/DMac are right back in.

While our flat out attcking gameplan is amazing to watch, we need to learn how to SLOW THE **** DOWN when we are under pressure.

Don't agree at all that we look better with Hickey up forward.

Was a cagey game, both teams flooded and had to try and kick through zones so there were a fair few clangers as our kicking as we know isn't the greatest. We'll learn a lot from that game and what I was really impressed with was the disciplined way we held our structure for nearly the whole night and the overall endeavor. The way we kept our discipline showed that the players are responding to the coach. It is great to see and augurs well for the future.

Good: Bruce and Rooey worked really well.
Membreys best game for the club.
Delaney real solid down back.
Seb Ross lifted our team like no one else has coming on as sub.
Endeavour, last year we would've fallen away badly in the 3rd and lost by 10 goals.

BAD: entries inside 50. Terrible.
Gilbert, needs time in the VFL.
This is harsh, but Minchington. Once again less then 10 disposals, only 8 in 3 quarters. To be honest I don't care what he does at VFL level, he just doesn't get it enough at senior level.
Losing when we should've won...again.

Don't agree at all that we look better with Hickey up forward.

Its a tough balance. Perhaps tonight was more todo with ball use than structure. I just hated seeing Roo and Bruce getting double teamed deep all night.

Hickey would've dragged one of Morris/Hamling/Roberts out of that quagmire and given the boys a better run and jump.

Will be interesting to see how Richo and co handle it.

Said at the start of the year just want effort, got plenty of that. would of been nice to get the 4 points as well

Positives

As a team we've struggled at I50 differential, clearance differential and contested ball differential all year. Well up tonight. Held good field position most of the night.

Direct negative;

Despite this, struggled to score almost more than we ever have all season.

I think I'm underestimating the fact we need to replace Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster within the next 2 seasons. All pivotal in our comeback.

Riewoldt especially. He's an all time Saint great.

Steven provides great drive. A lot of meters gained, but gee his turnovers hurt tonight. Furthermore his set shot kicking is worse than Casboults.

Roberton's impact on suring up our defence this season can't be underrated.

Thought it was very noticeable that when Steven and Armo go out of the game in the third, we struggle.

Minch back to the VFL. Barely noticed him today.

Ross exceptional when he came on. That one turnover is one you can cop.

Gilbert with ball in hand is really poor. A liability. Good defender, but his kicking is too erratic and when he got caught was very raph Clarke like.

Geary/Dahlhaus a good battle. Geary kept him fairly ineffective. Dahl a great player.

Longer keeps improving. Clearly better than Minson for mine.

My worry is that while I think our endeavour is fantastic and even that's underselling it - we've got too many average kicks. However that worry is slightly offset by the majority of them being our older guys.

Membery's best game for the club and his career. Got to a lot of contests as he always does but a few more marks stuck tonight which will do him good. He looks like a 27 yo, so you forget he's only 20-21 and played 8 games.

Really on top in general play for 3 quarters, so very disappointing to not get the result but all in all not a massive deal.

yeh...

We lack class and skill, we have a heap of really good kids but it is hard to point to the ones who will end up A graders, Billings, Lonie and Bruce maybe the only ones

Good-Riewoldt and Bruce
Membrey played his best game
Ross was great as the sub
Longer gave Minson a bath

Bad-Shitty forward 50 entries
Gilberts clangers
BT and Darcys commentating
Ling is also useless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back