Analysis Review v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you stuck at Oakleigh for about an hour waiting for the replacement bus as well? Tonight we were stuck at Lynbrook for at least an hour and a half waiting for one and it finally arrived at about 1.30am! It wasn't even going our way, but because there were only two on it, versus about 30 of us going the opposite way (including young kids and at least one in their 80's), they eventually changed their plans and went our way. Who knows how much longer we would have been stuck there had they not!

Bingo. We gave up after about 2 minutes and decided to walk to clayton station where my car was parked. Then 2 minutes into the walk a taxi drove by so we took that instead. 14 bucks later and we were finally home free. * metro!

Dogs hate us as they saw us play more recent PFs and GFs than them.

Dogs hate us as they can see it all happening again. Deja Vu.

They will yes rise before us, but we are buildinga nicely balance list. Personally too IMO they have paid way overs for Boyd who seems to have little game apart from his marking. It is like they have paid $milliona year fora Kosi level player. This will hamstring them in future.

Acres, Sinclair, Goddard, McCartin, McKenzie will all be regulars by end of next seasons, and when this happens our age profile will then be quite young.
Others like Hickey, Wright, Murdoch etc may make it still.

Come 2017 either all of our "oldies" will be gone or it will just be one or two. Roo is a RR of a player and so don't be surprised if he plays another 3 seasons if his knee lasts.

Indeed 2017 I could see the Saints having a real push for the top.

Minchington suffering from Tom Curren syndrome.

Plays in the guts at VFL level and racks them up, then gets a call-up to play forward pocket.
Can someone tell me how many 20+ possession games of vfl Minch has had? I think people get deceived by a couple really classy moments he has.. But ultimately he doesn't know how to find the footy enough.. I said this watching the melbourne game he looked lost running around aimlessly.. I don't think I've ever seen him have a big possession game in vfl... My honest opinion I don't think he's good enough to make it.

"Sam Fisher pulled out ahead of the game after hurting his back when he picked up some washing at home on Saturday morning, which saw Luke Delaney drafted in from outside the listed emergencies."

You see girls, this is why men should NEVER do washing. It probably cost us the game!

The Doggies defenders were really effective in stopping Roo and Bruce, who still got five, but they simply should not have been allowed to do what they did by the umpires. But Wood's performance was the most vital performance to a win I've seen this year in a game.

Richo will struggle to keep Gilbert in the team this week.

Don't know about the thought process when you've kicked five goals in three quarters, and although he had only 9 touches one bloke has kicked 20% of them, and you need something special, and you sub him out. Ross was good after he came on, but he's not about to just throw one on the boot and have it sail through. Considering the Doggies had subbed out Minson, perhaps it was worth rolling the dice and subbing out Gilbert or Delaney.

Looking so far at the B&F thread, Jarryn Geary has one vote out of 225. Hopefully he can get some more, because he murdered Dahlhaus on Saturday. Seriously, that's the worst I've seen someone play this season, and it was Geary's doing. Webster was excellent again also.

The real problem was this. Out from the win earlier against the Doggies were McKenzie, Fisher, Billings, Hickey and Sinclair. Their stats from that game:

McKenzie - 8 kicks, 11 handpasses, 4 tackles, 4 rebound 50s, 1 contested mark, 2 bounces
Fisher - 19 kicks, 13 marks, 7 handpasses, 4 tackles, 4 rebound 50s, 2 contested marks, 3 1%ers
Billings - 15 kicks, 7 marks, 7 handpasses, 7 inside 50s, 4 tackles, 1 contested mark, 2 marks inside 50, 4 goals, 2 behinds, 2 goal assists
Hickey - 9 kicks, 3 handpasses, 2 contested marks, 5 hitouts, 2 goals,
Sinclair (as sub) - 8 kicks, 5 handpasses, 2 goals, 1 behinds, 2 goal assists

We just didn't effectively replace that productivity with Membrey, Minchington, Gilbert, Ross & Ray.

Can someone tell me how many 20+ possession games of vfl Minch has had? I think people get deceived by a couple really classy moments he has.. But ultimately he doesn't know how to find the footy enough.. I said this watching the melbourne game he looked lost running around aimlessly.. I don't think I've ever seen him have a big possession game in vfl... My honest opinion I don't think he's good enough to make it.

He has definitely had big possession games in the midfield at Sandy. He was pretty good against Melbourne I thought and worked hard. You can't always see what they bring on TV. He worked really hard and did a few nice things. The Dogs game he was very quiet in but the ball was getting cut off around our 50 meter line so the guys in deep didn't get supply.

My brain is hurting from reading some of those posts from Bulldogs supporters
The amount of irrational hate from the Doggies board is a bit overwhelming - would encourage Saints members to not pay too much attention to the ramblings. A lot of proud beating of chests and flippant disregard to your rebuild. Great work as always from Steven - nothing better than watching him sprint for goal from a centre clearance. Also super work from your defenders completely shutting down Stringer and Boyd (although Boyd is still very easy to shut down so i'm not too sure how to place Delany's game overall) - particularly a couple of clintch smuthers in the forward 50. Didn't think Savage was doing enough so was suprised when you subbed Mitchington instead (particularly given he was one of your only goal scorers at the time). I think it would have been a slightly more interesting game with the addition of either Crameri for us or Billings for you guys though..

Bruce - what a forward! Highlight of the game for mine was easily Roo -> Bruce -> Roo -> Bruce -> Goal... Midfielders are clearly over-rated.

But I hope nobody disagrees that Murph was best on ground.

All said and done - Super ugly game - let's hope Bev and Richo meet for a coffee this week and mutually decide that in our coming battles over the next few years they play their squads more like Round 6 and less like Round 13.

Cheers for the game.

The amount of irrational hate from the Doggies board is a bit overwhelming - would encourage Saints members to not pay too much attention to the ramblings. A lot of proud beating of chests and flippant disregard to your rebuild. Great work as always from Steven - nothing better than watching him sprint for goal from a centre clearance. Also super work from your defenders completely shutting down Stringer and Boyd (although Boyd is still very easy to shut down so i'm not too sure how to place Delany's game overall) - particularly a couple of clintch smuthers in the forward 50. Didn't think Savage was doing enough so was suprised when you subbed Mitchington instead (particularly given he was one of your only goal scorers at the time). I think it would have been a slightly more interesting game with the addition of either Crameri for us or Billings for you guys though..

Bruce - what a forward! Highlight of the game for mine was easily Roo -> Bruce -> Roo -> Bruce -> Goal... Midfielders are clearly over-rated.

All said and done - Super ugly game - let's hope Bev and Richo meet for a coffee this week and mutually decide that in our coming battles over the next few years they play their squads more like Round 6 and less like Round 13.

Cheers for the game.

I do disagree, Easton Wood was best on ground by quite a way IMO. He was the biggest reason why we couldn't convert our inside 50's to goals - 7 intercept marks and heaps of other spoils as third man up and so on. He has come such a long way and is clearly in All-Australian form right now.

I do disagree, Easton Wood was best on ground by quite a way IMO. He was the biggest reason why we couldn't convert our inside 50's to goals - 7 intercept marks and heaps of other spoils as third man up and so on. He has come such a long way and is clearly in All-Australian form right now.
Whoops.... I mean Wood - s**t //

yeah whiffed that call - I think it's muscle memory i'm just used to typing Murphy's name

They beat us at our own game, earlier in the season it was us that ran from the backline, bombing long to an OPEN forward line, with some success in a free style of a game. This time they reversed that & had the more open forward line (although our backline stood up admiralty) , don`t know if it was Richo`s idea to be defensive or the players just followed their opposition & got dragged into a slog out. As for having a list of older players in there as well, I reckon that was more to do with Faz having his 200 & hopefully a few of his team mates over the years were there to celebrate it with him. Unfortunately it turned into a loss. :(

Here's another point about Saturday night I'd like to make, and it goes to our development: that's the first time in quite a long time that a coach has really put time into coming up with a game plan to specifically defeat us. Remember, they were 55 points up against us last time, but Beveridge installed a game plan that would prevent his own team from ever leading by that much at any stage, just to increase his chances of winning the game period. It speaks to the respect St Kilda has already earned. The Doggies just wanted to win, so they flooded, mauled our tall forwards, and it worked. This is the first time this group would have seen a game plan like this come up against them, which can also only be good for development.

Cheers for the game.

Why are Bulldog supporters becoming so childish and classless.

Booing Ray on his 200th, booing Riewoldt, totally classless, and it shouldn't be so.

I remember being at the Western Oval when Frawley played his last game. We ran onto the field as the Saints players carried him off. The Bulldog supporters in the EJ Whitten stand stood to a man and a woman to applaud Frawley from the field, this after their team had been beaten.

My whole family are Dogs supporters and don't carry on like the fools on here. Was at a family gathering yesterday and we all talked about the game and there was no breast beating and skiting from my family, just as there was none in R1 when we beat the Dogs.

Some WB supporters need to grow up and get over their victim mentality. They blame Riewoldt for Lakes brain fade and reckon he is a diver. WHile at the same time laud Brad Johnson, the biggest diver in the modern game only superceded by a crop or WCE players.

Wake up to yourselves. You will for ever be losers until you get over your victim mentality. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Here's another point about Saturday night I'd like to make, and it goes to our development: that's the first time in quite a long time that a coach has really put time into coming up with a game plan to specifically defeat us. Remember, they were 55 points up against us last time, but Beveridge installed a game plan that would prevent his own team from ever leading by that much at any stage, just to increase his chances of winning the game period. It speaks to the respect St Kilda has already earned. The Doggies just wanted to win, so they flooded, mauled our tall forwards, and it worked. This is the first time this group would have seen a game plan like this come up against them, which can also only be good for development.

Don't know if you are taking the piss, but all Beveridge had to do was watch qtr 4 of the Melbourne game. Roo did exactly the same.

And I think it was Richo who came up with the plan to stop the Dogs run, not the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has definitely had big possession games in the midfield at Sandy. He was pretty good against Melbourne I thought and worked hard. You can't always see what they bring on TV. He worked really hard and did a few nice things. The Dogs game he was very quiet in but the ball was getting cut off around our 50 meter line so the guys in deep didn't get supply.
Went through his stats and this year he had one game of 20 possessions every other game below 20. Last year out of 14 games he had 5 games of 20 or more and most of them were just 20 or low 20s. Considering he has mostly midfield time at that level that's nowhere near good enough and it shows at afl level. And my comments about his movements are from watching life at the game not on tv

Why are Bulldog supporters becoming so childish and classless.

Booing Ray on his 200th, booing Riewoldt, totally classless, and it shouldn't be so.

I remember being at the Western Oval when Frawley played his last game. We ran onto the field as the Saints players carried him off. The Bulldog supporters in the EJ Whitten stand stood to a man and a woman to applaud Frawley from the field, this after their team had been beaten.

My whole family are Dogs supporters and don't carry on like the fools on here. Was at a family gathering yesterday and we all talked about the game and there was no breast beating and skiting from my family, just as there was none in R1 when we beat the Dogs.

Some WB supporters need to grow up and get over their victim mentality. They blame Riewoldt for Lakes brain fade and reckon he is a diver. WHile at the same time laud Brad Johnson, the biggest diver in the modern game only superceded by a crop or WCE players.

Wake up to yourselves. You will for ever be losers until you get over your victim mentality. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I was at the game the game and did not hearing any booing for Nick it maybe was the saints yelling ROO. Did hear some light hearted booing for Ray.

Could not care less about the saints but for God sake you brand the dogs losers, pathetic, childless and classless. I guess you have a few more adjectives to describe us. You then wonder why some of our supporters dislike the saints.

I would say that dogs, saints, demons and north should be on the same page we are the clubs that need to worry about going out of business. If we hate anyone we should hate the haves not the have nots.

See you in the finals

He's being played as a small forward, and he's not a small forward. He is an inside midfielder.

I was at the game the game and did not hearing any booing for Nick it maybe was the saints yelling ROO. Did hear some light hearted booing for Ray.

Could not care less about the saints but for God sake you brand the dogs losers, pathetic, childless and classless. I guess you have a few more adjectives to describe us. You then wonder why some of our supporters dislike the saints.

I would say that dogs, saints, demons and north should be on the same page we are the clubs that need to worry about going out of business. If we hate anyone we should hate the haves not the have nots.

See you in the finals

Plainly heard boo's coming from where the Bulldog cheersquad was when Ray got his first touch, and if you reckon your mob don't boo Roo, you are deluded.

Yes from my experience on here many Bulldog supporters are lacking in class, are childish with their victim mentality and need to gain some maturity. If you don't like the analysis from me, tough, this is the Saints forum and it is my opinion of many of your supporters.

And I didn't mention the Bulldog table booing Robert Harvey when he won the FAIREST and Best Brownlow in 1997.

Oh we wont make the finals, and what I saw on Saturday night the Bulldogs wont either.

He's being played as a small forward, and he's not a small forward. He is an inside midfielder.
The point still remains when playing as a mid at vfl level he doesn't get enough consistent possession, that translates into his afl game that he's not a big enough ball winner

Well after having a couple of days to get over the disappointment of us throwing away another game we should have won, I guess it's not that bad a result in the long term.

We won't be playing finals this year so a brave loss is probably more useful than a narrow win in terms of us getting better draft picks at the end of the year.

The Dogs might be gloating about stealing a win from us but at best they will probably just sneak into finals and be bundled out in the first week while ending up with worse draft picks than us so in the long run we're probably the real winners from Saturday night.

With that being said I still want to beat Essendon next weekend, losing sucks.

Interesting game which opened up a lot in the second half after an arm wrestle of a first half.

Both defenses stood up well. We looked good when coming out of defense (except for a few howlers), it was methodical until play opened up, often times after a switch of play or through the guts but was let down by a poor kick once outside the defensive 50.

Also thought the Dogs defended well (even when considering the numbers) but we did really well to stop their drive coming out of defense, especially considering how many intercept marks Wood took in defensive 50. Murphy had a decent game but didn't slice us up as he can when he is on, so credit to Richo for neutralising him.

Thought it was Membreys best game for us. His contested marking shows he can be a player that connects our defense and offense. Was kicked to the ball when it was him v 3 Dogs and he won both contests which was good to see. Has neat disposal as well but would like to see him straighten up his set shots.

Newnes was huge. His overhead marking and tackling are both huge assets and is reliable by foot. Works as hard as any mid we have, so having 23 possies, 7 marks (3 contested) and 8 marks is a credit to him. Think we should start to see similar numbers from him until years end.

Seb Ross looked really nice as the sub. Looks like he has a strong core which can see him stand up in tackles and get a handball away under pressure. Hopefully gets a full game next week.

For me, the match against the doggies reiterated how poor a decision (in my mind at least) it was to elevate schnid instead of Sinclair. It was further compounded when I watched Sinclair for Sandy. Whilst schnids certainly appears to bring some experience and on-field coaching to the table, his ability to finish off has unfortunately evaporated to an extent. Further, whilst many of our boys sent I'll directed bombs into the forward fifty again and again ( and again (in the same vein as the dees game) in the game, a guy like Sinclair was preparing for a VFL game when we needed his class most. His composure, be it from 10 disposals was sorely missed, so too an opportunity to win.

njr9y.jpg

See you in the finals

I don't like the way some posters on here talk about the Bulldogs and their supporters, but it is definitely a two way street, with a lot of similar "branding" coming from the Bulldogs board towards St Kilda.

Also, I was at the game, and there was definitely booing directed at Riewoldt by the Bulldogs cheer squad and supporters around them. It really isn't a great look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back