Traded Rhys Stanley and pick 60 traded for pick 21

Remove this Banner Ad

People saying this is a clear win for the Saints are assuming pick 21 will end up a good player. Could just as easily be a spud. Geelong at least know what they are getting.
Which is a spud.

A player who could be a spud or a decent player for a player who is proven to be a spud.

Good win St Kilda. Clear win.

I don't think we'll get much more out of Hmac.

I'm baffled by this trade. They obviously see something in Rhys.

The cats just don't have a lot of depth in their tall fwd/ruck stocks. Not reliable depth anyway.

HMac, in two seasons he's missed one through injury and by finals in his second year was again injured.
Simpson, again despite good signs on field always ends up injured which is a concern for his future value.
Vardy, young but coming off a knee reco so will always be an increased attachment of risk (as discovered with Menzel)
Clark, has barely played in three years due to serious injuries, and even while at Brisbane had injury concerns. There are also risks associated with his long term prospects due to his mental health issues
Hawkins, while having another great season this year is only one removed from a debilitating back injury that wrecked a season.
Kersten, not a big tall but while he's got good skills, really didn't get enough of the ball in his games.
Walker, looked good in finals but hasn't really had sustained periods of success. He's too small to ruck consistently, as Goldstein proved in the finals
Brown, great at VFL but surely this trade will see him moved on, as he's not that great up forward or in defence.

Stanley, Still very young and really hasn't been great. Has shown glimpses and Geelong will hope a better team and strong culture will bring him on. It's high risk but adding Clark isn't a guarenteed win so they need a little more depth.

The upside of this group on paper is very good, but reality shows a lot of injuries, age, and inconsitencies.

I'd say you don't think Stanley will ever make it in the ruck even for limited minutes and you have doubts about his long term ability as a forward.

So you play the 2 young rucks together if you have to and just suffer from having a useless big guy in the square. At the same time use one space on the rookie list for a Cam Pedersen type, just a C grade forward who will put his body on the line in the ruck. Bruce could do that for you. I don't think your coach has a high opinion of him and would rather just utilize him in any role rather than save him as the main man forward (or back).

Develop some top line players (in particular midfielders) like Port have done. Develop the two young rucks in to very good rucks (and I think both can be ok forward eventually). Then when you hit your premiership window trade for the guy you need just like Port are doing now with Ryder.

It's more important to have a bunch of quality players developing (which pick 21 gives you a shot at) than to have an important structural player is the St Kilda game plan here.
Good post, although the thing is that Rhys is already very capable in the ruck, hence Goldstein's comment on him being so underrated there, a few months ago. The only reason I'd say we went out and spent up pretty big on Hickey two years ago was that we had serious concerns about Rhys's body being able to handle lots of ruckwork (it kept breaking down), so we pretty much decided that we would only play him forward (or back) from that point on, but then he spent time there again this year out of necessity and was generally very effective there in his his short bursts, due to his huge leap allowing him to get a clear hit at the ball and hit it where he wanted to. The likes of Jack Steven and Lenny Hayes would have loved roving to him, as he just kept putting it down their throats as they ran under him. He is better than Hickey in the centre bounces, at least, IMO, due to his bigger leap and as a result gets a much higher % of hitouts to advantage.

One of the main reasons I despise the idea of playing both Hickey and Longer at the same time though is that it takes away a spot up front where we could be playing someone who actually has a future in the forward line, such as a Spencer White, Tom Lee, Bruce, or Membrey (or a Wright or Mccartin, if we draft them) and I don't think that is ideal.

Anyway, I'll wait and see what we do between now and the end of the draft to see if a structural plan becomes clearer.

Last edited:
Thats 2 really s**t trade periods in a row. Turning into the laughing stock at trades now. Future not looking to bright. Unless of course there is some kind of master plan behind all this s**t. Fingers crossed.

Hate it, Cats win this one.

Forget what you've seen of him as a forward, he'll be a ruckman at the Cats with good delivery skills into the forward line. He knocked up 21 hit outs on Sam Jacobs in half a game last time out, and will be at least as effective around the ground as most ruckmen are these days, but can kick.

Strange that the cats picked up both Stanley and Clark.

Stanley may reach his potential at the cats and it will be a big win, but for us we are happy to get pick 21 for a player that we picked up with a late draft pick and is yet to show a hell of a lot except for the odd cracking game.

A great clubman and a likable bloke though and will be missed.

Not sure about all the sky is falling comments about geelongs recent trade periods?

The club again showed the footy world wrong and finished top 4 after the regular season.

Percentage was the only thing that kept us off top spot.

Since the 2007 flag Port has hit rock bottom and come back up, and even Hawthorn fell away for a season after their 2008 flag. Collingwood is now dropping away, but through out it all Geelong has remained top 4-6.

Next year will be tough but the competition is designed so that clubs drop away a little (unless you're a cashed up Sydney).

Varcoe isn't the worst loss in the world, and unfortunately external circumstances saw Christensen leave. We haven't lost anyone that can't be replaced from within.

Worse than the Hampson trade. What are Geelong thinking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another idiotic trade by the Saints. The gift that keeps on giving. Well done Cats
majority rules on here Timmy. 90% of posters disagree with your opinion...they must all be idiots :rolleyes:

keep trying though mate

Geelong is like a kid playing a football manager game. We are useless. We just cannot trade. We have no idea of value.

I rate Stanley, I think it's a clear win for Geelong. The guy is moving into his prime, has a ready made body and a stack of talent, I think it's a great get. Doesn't fix their midfield though and their issues with clearances.

Nope. Barely said a word about the Saints all year. Generally they are on the right path. But trading away Stanley is foolish in my opinion.

A club that is "generally on the right path" doesn't make "another idiotic trade" like a "gift that keeps on giving".

But anyway, we're both in a process of list renewal, and you win some, you lose some.

Way for St Kilda to show their hand.
Would've thought it likely that they pick up McCartin now (if they retain pick 1). Riewoldt at 33 next year means that Lee and White need to come ahead in leaps and bounds otherwise.
Also they will probably stretch for a key back at some point this draft, won't they? Retiring Gwilt and Maister and trading Stanley only really leaves Delaney, Bruce, Fisher (33 next year) and Dempster (31 next year) as their potential key backs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back