Traded Rhys Stanley and pick 60 traded for pick 21

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a fair option, though I thought we had already re-signed him for next year?

Can't say I know what his contract status. From the outside, I was surprised he wasn't delisted with Schroder and co and as he's had plenty of injury issues I thought the plan might be to drop him down to the rookie list.

Would Mitch Brown be another that might make way to get you the fourth free spot?

Hate it, Cats win this one.

Forget what you've seen of him as a forward, he'll be a ruckman at the Cats with good delivery skills into the forward line. He knocked up 21 hit outs on Sam Jacobs in half a game last time out, and will be at least as effective around the ground as most ruckmen are these days, but can kick.
Our rucks are pretty much cooked. Simpson and Hmac are probably 1 injury away from retirement, Vardy is coming back from an ACL and Walker just fills in there.

I guess we'll find out next pre season who plays where but I wouldn't be surprised if the recruitment of Clark and Stanley provides an opportunity for Walker and/or Blicavs to be turned into defenders given the impending retirements at that end of the ground.

I know the saints tried it with mixed (at best) results but with his speed at 200cm it really makes more sense than anything to develop him as a lock down key defender.

Lonergan's sticking around but for what 1 more year? Neither Taylor nor Rivers are well suited to playing full back.

Sort out the forwards/rucks with Clark, Kersten, Vardy etc and use Stanley as the perfect key defensive project. Remember Lonergan was a very average forward for most of his career until taking over down back.

He's barely a footballer.

I'm starting to feel bad for Rhys, because he's already hated by many Geelong fans through no real fault of his own.

Ridiculous attitude. Can't wait to see some of our newer, entitled supporters when we really drop down the ladder.

Hopefully they * off.

Ridiculous attitude. Can't wait to see some of our newer, entitled supporters when we really drop down the ladder.

Hopefully they **** off.

Hear hear hear!
How about we trust the club, they know what they're doing!
If they didn't then we wouldn't have been one of the most successful teams in recent times

Official Rhys Stanley supporter

Hopefully they **** off.

Hardly a new or entitled supporter, in fact I'm a very positive one.

Doesn't change my opinion that trading 21 for Stanley is a massive mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OMG! We dont need ruck/fwd because we have Rucks & Tall Forwards. Wtf dont use understand.

Because you do not want to play TWO ruckmen in the one team. Two hurts you in your rotations.
You play one, and then someone like Stanley spells them. That is a well balanced team.

What do you not understand.

Longer is currently useless around the ground and so he and Hickey in the one team is not a good combination.

With Stanley gone we will need someone else to become the relief ruck. At present I can't see whom. The young Pierce is looking promising, but still needs some pre-seasons in the gym.

Last edited:
Hardly a new or entitled supporter, in fact I'm a very positive one.

Doesn't change my opinion that trading 21 for Stanley is a massive mistake.

Not you personally, if you're not telling us you hate a player who has agreed to join our footy club, for absolutely no reason.

I'm sure there's a thread full of such muppets on the Cats board tho.

You reckon the Saints have made off like bandits in this deal, but can't quite shake the idea that at Geelong, Stanley will suddenly look like a much better player.

Any big forward suddenly playing with a midfield that can pass the ball accurately cannot help but go better.

Can't say I know what his contract status. From the outside, I was surprised he wasn't delisted with Schroder and co and as he's had plenty of injury issues I thought the plan might be to drop him down to the rookie list.

Would Mitch Brown be another that might make way to get you the fourth free spot?

Brown will be traded tomorrow or delisted later.

We will have 4 spots if hunt goes.

This trade also makes me think hamish or simpson may retire due to injury.

Most of us are perplexed by cowan staying tbh.

I think longer and hickey will play in the same team. Both are still learning the trade but lets at least give them 70 games or so b4 we start making judgements on weather or not they can play fwd.
Either way. We have heaps of options up there and Stanley wasnt exactly an afl quality ruck.
Look theres still a lot to play out tomorrow. We might end up with the peter wright pick. Its looking more likely now.

I know the saints tried it with mixed (at best) results but with his speed at 200cm it really makes more sense than anything to develop him as a lock down key defender.

Lonergan's sticking around but for what 1 more year? Neither Taylor nor Rivers are well suited to playing full back.

Sort out the forwards/rucks with Clark, Kersten, Vardy etc and use Stanley as the perfect key defensive project. Remember Lonergan was a very average forward for most of his career until taking over down back.

Stanley has been tried in defence in 2012. We were less crap then, but it still wasn't pretty.

I think the best he can do is play part time second fiddle to Hawkins and pinch hit in the ruck.

The natural tendency is to conclude that the Saints will come out ahead in this trade, but Geelong will not have just sat down yesterday and played a round of paper fortune teller that came up 'get Rhys Stanley', they must see potential in him and think he can take the next step in their system. Time will tell.

The part of it that I personally am not so clear on is that the Cats seem on paper to be a bit top heavy on talls in their list overall having added Clark and now Stanley to McIntosh, Vardy, Simpson, (...) , but maybe there will be some trades / delistings prior to the draft that address that seeming imbalance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back