Injury Rhys Stanley - news post-foot surgery

******* hope not. Amazing how two events (Simpson's back injury and Ottens retirement) have steadily compounded. Use a late pick on some 200cm behemoth, and then use the currency we've saved on building up some depth in midfield.
We're going to lose two rucks (at least) so I think we'll add two as well. My only criteria are (a) no known injury history and (b) see (a).

We're going to lose two rucks (at least) so I think we'll add two as well. My only criteria are (a) no known injury history and (b) see (a).

I haven't had a footy injury for 30 years….Do I qualify?

This is a rhetorical question!!

I think 1 ruck max and I'm inclined to lean with TJ, unless we can procure a mature ruck with negligible injury history and not cost the earth in the process. Then pick a young ruck 202cm+ and let him develop.

I haven't had a footy injury for 30 years….Do I qualify?

This is a rhetorical question!!
Sorry, I neglected to mention the other criterion: are you taller than Matty Stokes?

I think 1 ruck max and I'm inclined to lean with TJ, unless we can procure a mature ruck with negligible injury history and not cost the earth in the process. Then pick a young ruck 202cm+ and let him develop.
What do you mean 1 ruck max? Losing or picking up?

DV2000

Club Legend
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think there's little doubt McIntosh is gone….Simpson doesn't look good enough to me…just doesn't do enough around the ground…more an honest trier…

Vardy won't play ruck I suspect…even though Brad Ottens suggested he would be a #1 ruck in the future. That was before his ACL though…

So we have Stanley ( in 2016 )…and Mitch Clark and Blicavs as last resort backup's along with Walker who will never make it as a ruck option…

We have Read and Lucey who apparently are nowhere near ready…

We will certainly be looking for a #1 ruck at season's end...….maybe Zac Smith…or one of Freo's big guys that can't get a game...
That would be a good idea, but the thing is, spots could open up for Freo's ruckman if Sandi retires at the end of this year.

What do you mean 1 ruck max? Losing or picking up?
recruiting. Like TJ said, we need mids. Now if Dawson, Hamish AND Vardy all go at once possibly two rucks but I think we'll only recruit 1 this year, maybe a 2nd with the 2nd being a rookie

Sorry, I neglected to mention the other criterion: are you taller than Matty Stokes?
I am by 3cm..... so when do I get to pick what number I want:D always been partial to #14 ;)

recruiting. Like TJ said, we need mids. Now if Dawson, Hamish AND Vardy all go at once possibly two rucks but I think we'll only recruit 1. This year, maybe a 2nd with the 2nd being a rookie
The problem with that is we could very well be in the same situation again next year. Vardy still has a massive cloud over him so if he's still on the list next year and there's only the new ruckman to carry us the whole season it will just take him to be injured and we will be back to Walker and Blicavs.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
recruiting. Like TJ said, we need mids. Now if Dawson, Hamish AND Vardy all go at once possibly two rucks but I think we'll only recruit 1 this year, maybe a 2nd with the 2nd being a rookie

It's not too hard to see Dawson and Hamish both going, given their medical history and Cook's statement that LTI's are costing the club too much, suggesting the club might play hardball at the EOY.

Vardy will likely remain, as much because they don't want to deplete our playing stocks too thinly as any faith in his longevity.

evolutionbaby

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2015
Koo Wee Rup
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Agree with a previous poster. It's time to tank and finish 10 - 14. Which club has had the hardest draw consistently over the last 10 years? A rhetorical question.

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with a previous poster. It's time to tank and finish 10 - 14. Which club has had the hardest draw consistently over the last 10 years? A rhetorical question.
Why they keep giving us 2 games against Sydney every year ill never know. Its not like we have a special rivalry with them.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How is Stanley injury prone ?
He played 19 games last year and 18 the year before.So 37 out 44.Dunno if any games he missed was because he was in the VFL,but still that's not injury prone.

He has had some injuries, worst one was his collarbone towards the end of 2013. Pre season was hampered heading into '14. Now I know this is his foot injured so that is unrelated but when I say injury prone I don't think Geelong are in a position to take chances on players with history, especially rucks. We now need people who we can rely on to be more durable.
He has played 60ish games in 6 seasons and also hasn't had much experience as a #1 ruck which is primarily why we recruited him.
The amount of games in the past 2 years looks ok but it's deceiving when injured towards end of the year.
Anywayyyyyy I like Stanley, I think he has plenty of potential, I just don't think we got what we needed at the time and Geelong aren't in a position to take more risks.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Hahahahaha... Being a cats supporter... Its like the footy gods are squaring up the good luck we had in the past decade with a truck load of injuries. Top stuff. Just need Selwood to do an ACL, Hawkins to lose a hand in some kind of tragic accident and everyone else to get leprosy and we should be all square again.

Back