Strategy Rhys Stanley - going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised how much heavier he looks than when he was playing at St Kilda. He also looks to have lost some of that explosive speed of his. Whether it was a different training program he was put under when he came to us, who knows, but he doesn't look as agile at the moment.
You can literally hear the ground thumping as he sprints past. He's a beast of a human and will only improve.

Blitz found out like it was like to be a good player after Q1 , welcome to Selwoods world. Play like he did in Q1 , while the other side try to stop him and he becomes a a very good player. yet to come but he has on just started to show what he could be.

Stanley has not played that much more. Like it or not , both are works in progress

Blitz played that first quarter like he realised that he was the next Kouta.

After that turnover that led to a goal he went a bit quiet, but to his credit got back into the game. Ran very very hard to cover for defence.

If the primary reason we traded for him was to use him as a #1 ruck then ok, I will reserve judgement until mid year. But - frankly we can't trade in a 24 year old and then 'develop' him into a ruckman. We can't spend another 3 years working on a hope. He has to show he can do the job this year.

Alternatively, Blicavs needs to show he can be a full time midfielder which releases the 2nd ruck role to a guy like Stanley which suits him perfectly.

If we had enough quality mids we could get away with average rucking. But we don't, so we double down on inefficiencies and it hurts the team.
Tall ruckman dont generally start to come good until about 24-25. So in my mind time can be allocated into his development.

I must be in the minority here but I can't really see much future with this marshmallow as our No 1 ruckman.

One thing I love about Clarke is his aggression and Stanley is at the other end of the spectrum for mine, he is reactive rather than dominant, he waits for the ball rather than going hard to beat his ruck opponent. He's far too soft for mine and I noted a few ruck contests last weekend where he just stood, did not jump at all and just had an air swing. Another marking contest at CHB he was in the front of the pack and simply fell to his knees when the contest was on.

He may have some of the tools but if he is not gonna compete then we need to move one. Aggression is not something that you can coach and this guy is far to easily dominated for mine.

I must be in the minority here but I can't really see much future with this marshmallow as our No 1 ruckman.

One thing I love about Clarke is his aggression and Stanley is at the other end of the spectrum for mine, he is reactive rather than dominant, he waits for the ball rather than going hard to beat his ruck opponent. He's far too soft for mine and I noted a few ruck contests last weekend where he just stood, did not jump at all and just had an air swing. Another marking contest at CHB he was in the front of the pack and simply fell to his knees when the contest was on.

He may have some of the tools but if he is not gonna compete then we need to move one. Aggression is not something that you can coach and this guy is far to easily dominated for mine.
He's attacked the ball extremely hard I've thought, especially when its been it ground level. Soft isn't something I've thought once.

Considering how few games he's played with the team and the interrupted preseason I think he's showing a lot of promise. Hopefully another 4-6 weeks of gelling with the midfield group and match fitness will give us a better indication.

He's attacked the ball extremely hard I've thought, especially when its been it ground level. Soft isn't something I've thought once.

Considering how few games he's played with the team and the interrupted preseason I think he's showing a lot of promise. Hopefully another 4-6 weeks of gelling with the midfield group and match fitness will give us a better indication.
It might take a little while to get the 'St Kildas' out of his system, too.

Apologies for the intrusion, guys.

I've been to a couple of Cats games (courtesy of a mate's spare ticket) and it looks to me like the side is still a bit unsettled. I think that's at least partly due to a few new inclusions, like Clark, Cockatoo, Gregson and Stanley.

They've only played a handful of games between them and I doubt that it's all come together for any of them yet. Actually, I don't think it could gel so quickly for any player at any club (Hawks and Frawley, anyone?)!

Give them time to settle in. Yes, the old guard is changing, but it's not the doom and gloom you think it is. The side will improve with time and perserverence - something that's in short supply for supporters of all clubs!

Clark is coming off mental/emotional issues, Stanley lived in Riewoldt's shadow and was played all over the place at St Kilda. Gregson and Cockatoo are boys. A fit Jimmy would also help at the moment...

It's hard to watch a club changing as the Cats are, but from what I've seen there are some real positives going on here.

It will come.

I've been to a couple of Cats games (courtesy of a mate's spare ticket) and it looks to me like the side is still a bit unsettled. I think that's at least partly due to a few new inclusions, like Clark, Cockatoo, Gregson and Stanley.

They've only played a handful of games between them and I doubt that it's all come together for any of them yet. Actually, I don't think it could gel so quickly for any player at any club (Hawks and Frawley, anyone?)!

Give them time to settle in. Yes, the old guard is changing, but it's not the doom and gloom you think it is. The side will improve with time and perserverence - something that's in short supply for supporters of all clubs!

Clark is coming off mental/emotional issues, Stanley lived in Riewoldt's shadow and was played all over the place at St Kilda. Gregson and Cockatoo are boys. A fit Jimmy would also help at the moment...

It's hard to watch a club changing as the Cats are, but from what I've seen there are some real positives going on here.

It will come.
Can we get Smithy back pls….

We need some hardness and more beard…:D

Go Catters

I think Stanley has been ok but again he is not a first ruckman - he is a second ruckman - and we asking players to either play out of position or expect too much of the young guys performances IMO.

Get Clark in as first ruck, Stanley as second ruck, Walker a the second KPF (he is no third tall forward IMO) and trial out a few guys in the midfield (like Gore).

We are trying to be too cute IMO - trying to win games and not going for the full transition so we will be better in 2016.

The two obvious trails will be at some point this year - Kolo and Gore.

The other area is the need of a decent small forward who kicks goals - Gregson has been good but not as a traditional small forward.

It will come.

Of course you are quite right, but as you point out, patience is in short supply when your team isn't traveling as you would like. Wrist slashers galore on the Cat Board right now.

I hope everyone reads your post…who better to explain the steps and the need for patience and calm for an emergence of a side than a Doggies supporter right now. Your mob were sensational on the weekend.

Best of luck for the rest of the season…I will enjoy watching the Doggies I'm sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised how much heavier he looks than when he was playing at St Kilda. He also looks to have lost some of that explosive speed of his. Whether it was a different training program he was put under when he came to us, who knows, but he doesn't look as agile at the moment.

Thats a great observation Bobby and i agree totally

There was a StKilda game i watched last year at Docklands( fast track) and Stanley played Chb on some gun CHF - i forget who it was - and up to midway through the 3rd qtr he did a damm good job - until the Saints got totally swamped

There is no way known he could play CHB against some agile CHF - in his present condition

Your right he looks a hell of alot heavier than last year - maybe its the missed training sessions - the next 6 weeks will be interesting

I don't know really what Walker has done wrong - given he has played the second tall forward that often. He has done more than Vardy, Brown and Kersten.

When he was tried as a third tall forward it did not work out (yes only 1 game). Play Clark as first ruck and that somewhat overcomes our ruck issues. Stanley as second ruck is ok - he will be ok at that - and Walker at CHF.

Add in a fast forward line that can run - like

Caddy Hawkins Lang

Gregson Walker Motlop

Caddy can play as the third tall and take the occasional mark as well as roving a goal - and still play part midfield. He just has not performed well enough in the midfield to be a mainstay - but looks pretty good down forward to me. Maybe a bit like Stringer at the Doggies.

Lang has speed and is a decent tackle and not a bad kick. He does not do enough yet to be a real midfielder - but he can hone his skills starting as a small forward who applies a lot of pressure and get the occasional possie. Then get maybe 10-15 % midfield role just to so he can grow into the role.

Gregson looks lively and runs up and down the ground a bit. Motlop is a good small mid who also runs up and down the ground - regrettably a bit harder forward than back (needs to improve that and his tackling). Hawkins will be fine as long as Walker can attract a major defender and not allowing a second tall into his area. Walker will get better as he gets more experience but he needs some time and he will be up and down a bit but he has shown enough to get the nod IMO.

It gives us our best set up and with Stanley and Clark in the ruck it gives us our best ruck set up as well - which just might help our poor midfield.

Very pleased with how he's coming along.

I was confused by the 'third tall forward' talk the media crapping out all pre-season... I was always under the impression he'd be played in the ruck, with Blicavs down back / in the middle and Simpson as the #1.

Pleasantly surprised with his efforts as the #1 ruck. He and Blicavs going first and second man up around the ground looked very promising early in the game. Could prove to be quite a unique asset if they get it right.

Everyone needs to chill out.
Stanley played his second game as number 1 ruck. Give him some time. I like what he is bringing and he will keep improving. Just take a chill pill everyone.
When our midfield improves so will your opinion of stanley

There is no way known he could play CHB against some agile CHF - in his present condition

Your right he looks a hell of alot heavier than last year - maybe its the missed training sessions - the next 6 weeks will be interesting

For years we've been asking for a 200cm+ ruckman with a big body and good tapwork who can make an impact around the ground. We went and got a 200cm+ player whose young, got very good ruck technique and is very good around the ground for a bloke his size. We've clearly got him in the gym massively over preseason to bulk him up to get the sort of body he needs to outmuscle opponents in the ruck. Isn't it obvious that the plan was always to put him in the ruck? We don't want him to have the agility to play as a lead-up forward or a key defender. We want him to have the strength to go all day against guys like Goldstein, Jacobs, Mumford, etc. From what I've seen it looks very promising and if we had a bit more cohesion in the middle we would've done far better with clearances over the last couple of weeks.

For years we've been asking for a 200cm+ ruckman with a big body and good tapwork who can make an impact around the ground. We went and got a 200cm+ player whose young, got very good ruck technique and is very good around the ground for a bloke his size. We've clearly got him in the gym massively over preseason to bulk him up to get the sort of body he needs to outmuscle opponents in the ruck. Isn't it obvious that the plan was always to put him in the ruck? We don't want him to have the agility to play as a lead-up forward or a key defender. We want him to have the strength to go all day against guys like Goldstein, Jacobs, Mumford, etc. From what I've seen it looks very promising and if we had a bit more cohesion in the middle we would've done far better with clearances over the last couple of weeks.

Pretty much. I think it's refreshing to have a ruckman who can actually jump too.

Maric does wear out as the game goes on. Stanley, if fit enough, could dominate around the ground as he jumps well and Maric could, I say could, have trouble against that all day long.

Here's hoping we have some guys in the hoops reading the taps well.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back