Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

dragit I never said Stanley's Freo game wasn't good, I've said the opposite many times it was obviously a star performance (the only one of his career so far). But it wasn't, as you said, match-winning. The Essendon game well I mean yeah he showed signs but it was a pretty damn long way from a match-winning performance.

I just think some Saints fans had such high hopes for Stanley they clung to his small moments of excellence and ignored the fact that the bulk of his play was rubbish. I wish him well at Geelong, but I am 100% confident we have made the right decision trading him for 21.

the fact that the bulk of his play was rubbish.
I understand your angle in general, just don't think it could be possible for him to be up the top of the comp for marks and contested marks if this ^ was actually true… he certainly had some below average games, but at least half were a pass or higher IMO… a dozen games with 10+ touches, 10 games with over 5 marks. Anyway the club must have had doubts about serious improvement, hopefully you and they are correct… :thumbsu:

When he has a good game someone will bump this saying we never should have got rid of him. When he has a bad game it will be bumped to say we made the right decision!

I know most of us were thinking it'll be a while before we know whether this was a good trade or not. That's obviously still the case but Goddard for Stanley is looking mighty fine for the moment.
I thought it was a good trade from the start and the pickup of Goddard using the pick from the Stanley trade has made it a great deal

Wasn't Goddard for Stanley.... We never knew we had Goddard at the time of trading.

It was Stanley for pick 21

We got Goddard with the pick we secured from trading Stanley

Slightly different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't Goddard for Stanley.... We never knew we had Goddard at the time of trading.

Slightly different.
Oh come on.

Slightly different.
If you are going to correct people, you should at least try to be accurate.

St Kilda traded Rhys Stanley plus pick #60 to Geelong for pick #21

St Kilda used pick #21 to draft Hugh Goddard,

Geelong obtained Stanley and Cunico out of the trade

Rhys has had several years of development (which has a substantial cost associated with it), he is a mobile tall, he is a competent ruck, a good contested mark, and can roost a kick over 60m. There are many who thought that the 5 years of development were beginning to pay off. Others had been conditioned by years of disappointment and could not credit him with any decent performances at all despite the evidence. For the club to decide to trade him (and pick #60) for pick# 21 is telling (in my opinion). That suggests that they assessed him as taking up space in the team that could be used to develop another player, and that they didn't see him as a valuable asset going forward.

Geelong get a ready made ruck / forward who can play immediately and a medium midfielder who needs some time to put on muscle and develop his game

Saints get a talented KPP who will take some time to develop but looks potentially superior to Rhys in the long run

Interesting that most on the Geelong board think Stanley will be their #1 ruck.

He would've never had that chance with us.
I would say his much more suited to that role anyway. We have 2 ruckman that have the potential to be A-grade ruckman, both much better below the knees.

Im not having a knock on Stanley here cos i wish him all the best at Geelong and im very happy with Goddard. Win/Win in my books.
IMO i always thought of Stanley as a just a fwd, albeit one who under achieved a bit. To his credit i also thought he was unfairly rubbished after some poor games in defence ( he never shouldve been down back cos he was all lost at sea there).
But i always thought he was overated as a ruck. He seemed to have that one game where he beat Nic Nat in a couple hit outs before his hammy went.
But he seemed to be rated as a decent ruck cos of those few hit outs.
I remember good old Jason Blake beating Sandilands in a couple of centre bounces in Tassie yrs ago. And as much as i loved the bloke, Blakey wasnt a true ruckmans bumhole.
Stanley has been on a very slow improvement rate. Who knows he may eventually get his s**t together at Geelong. Good on him if he does.
But by going on everything ive read about Goddard. I dont think it is going to take him 5 or 6 yrs to find his feet.
Very good trade by the Saints as far as im concerned :thumbsu:

He was amazing in the ruck vs Niknat one year then he did a soft tissue injury, with his history when played in the ruck - he may well fit in well with the other rucks on their (injury) list.

If someone wanted him to play number 1 ruck why did he go to Geelong???
Blicavs, McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy, Clark..

If someone wanted him to play number 1 ruck why did he go to Geelong???
Blicavs, McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy, Clark..

Blicavs - Being groomed to play CHB
McIntosh - In his last year or two
Simpson - 3 back operations.
Vardy - Knee reco and Hip problems
Clark - Who the hell knows?

Between the 5 of them and Stanley they should get 22 games worth!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back