Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its Hugh Goddard at pick 21
Who wouldnt be gutted on missing that .
Rys will be the best 1 Qtr player for Geelong ,
Suggest Super Sub !

I think it's important to mention that as happy as we all are with Goddard sliding, that doesn't necessarily effect the retrospective value of the trade. I will maintain that 21 was overs for Stanley whether Goddard turns out well or not based purely on Stanley's value as a footballer at the time of the trade period.

Its Hugh Goddard at pick 21
Who wouldnt be gutted on missing that .
Rys will be the best 1 Qtr player for Geelong ,
Suggest Super Sub !

Hugh Goddard slid for a reason. There was rumour Geelong were interested and I was worried there would be truth in it. I didn't like his highlights. Kicking needs work, fitness, plenty to work with but his not a world beater. With development you will have a solid defender. Geelong can afford to give Stanley a good go in the ruck. Stkilda had to use him everywhere. I'm looking forward to see his improvement during the year

Hugh Goddard slid for a reason. There was rumour Geelong were interested and I was worried there would be truth in it. I didn't like his highlights. Kicking needs work, fitness, plenty to work with but his not a world beater. With development you will have a solid defender. Geelong can afford to give Stanley a good go in the ruck. Stkilda had to use him everywhere. I'm looking forward to see his improvement during the year
Well lucky for you mate you don't have to worry about Goddard, you can sit back and enjoy the Stanley ride.

Fitness is hardly a concern at all for 18 year olds... They're now in an AFL system training every day, their fitness will improve massively over just 2 pre-seasons. Goddard's kicking was at 66%, meaning he hits twice as many kicks as he misses, not a giant problem if you ask me. With development we can have a good defender and with any luck could develop into a solid forward as well like Harry Taylor and Ben Reid IMO. Stanley has played a few good games over his career and has shown incredible inconsistency, I'm pleased that we've turned Stanley into Goddard personally.

Fitness is hardly a concern at all for 18 year olds... They're now in an AFL system training every day, their fitness will improve massively over just 2 pre-seasons. Goddard's kicking was at 66%, meaning he hits twice as many kicks as he misses, not a giant problem if you ask me. With development we can have a good defender and with any luck could develop into a solid forward as well like Harry Taylor and Ben Reid IMO. Stanley has played a few good games over his career and has shown incredible inconsistency, I'm pleased that we've turned Stanley into Goddard personally.
Yeh but mate, he didn't like his highlights...

And we traded Stanley for a reason. See what I did there.

Well lucky for you mate you don't have to worry about Goddard, you can sit back and enjoy the Stanley ride.
That ride was a little like this one
o-COASTER-facebook.jpg

:p:p

Hugh Goddard slid for a reason. There was rumour Geelong were interested and I was worried there would be truth in it. I didn't like his highlights. Kicking needs work, fitness, plenty to work with but his not a world beater. With development you will have a solid defender. Geelong can afford to give Stanley a good go in the ruck.
Yes, Goddard slid all of the way to a first round pick!
I don't think Geelong can afford to give anyone "a good go", their super era is winding down IMHO, you can happily have Stanley and we'll have Gods.

Sadly for Sunshine Saint and Mowman, I know both Brad and Chris quite well.

Brian you may indeed know both of them quite well, but the trouble is, that when you cry wolf so often, it is hard, if not impossible, to separate fact from fiction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With respect Fremantle Carlton gifted us a Gun
But it would not have happened if Geelong had not gifted us the pick

Hugh Goddard was rated top 6 in this draft by most of the good recruiters !
Strong leader , great communication , will be a 200 game player given good run with injury.

I think it's important to mention that as happy as we all are with Goddard sliding, that doesn't necessarily effect the retrospective value of the trade. I will maintain that 21 was overs for Stanley whether Goddard turns out well or not based purely on Stanley's value as a footballer at the time of the trade period.
Pick 1 is overs for McCartin purely based on his value as an AFL footballer at the time.
Geelong have certainly backed Stanley to improve, but if he becomes a solid 100 game player for them, pick 21 will be justified.
If he doesn't improve or burns out then it will definitely be overs.
Most trades are weighed up with potential in mind, it's most likely that Stanley hasn't peaked yet... Though I can't see him becoming a genuine gun ever.

Pick 1 is overs for McCartin purely based on his value as an AFL footballer at the time.
Geelong have certainly backed Stanley to improve, but if he becomes a solid 100 game player for them, pick 21 will be justified.
If he doesn't improve or burns out then it will definitely be overs.
Most trades are weighed up with potential in mind, it's most likely that Stanley hasn't peaked yet... Though I can't see him becoming a genuine gun ever.
How is pick 1 overs for McCartin? Was ranked 1-3 throughout the whole year from memory.

With respect Fremantle Carlton gifted us a Gun
But it would not have happened if Geelong had not gifted us the pick

Hugh Goddard was rated top 6 in this draft by most of the good recruiters !
Strong leader , great communication , will be a 200 game player given good run with injury.

Not having a go. Probably he was rated top 6 at the start of the year by a few teams - but on draft day no-one rated him top 6 or he would have gone before 21.

How is pick 1 overs for McCartin? Was ranked 1-3 throughout the whole year from memory.

I think what he's saying is that on his output at AFL level he is overs. Pick one is paid for a player based on their future potential. Geelong paid a decent pick for Stanley based on the future potential they see for him. He has had the development put in and could be a gun still as he's had a lot of injury. He is potentially a bargain.

Yeh but mate, he didn't like his highlights...

He had a loopy kick and I saw him chasing ass in other highlights of other players where he couldn't go with them or gave up.
He very well may develop into a good player but he could never play a game as well.
Very rarely would you get 4 premium key defenders from a draft and he was 4th picked was he not.

He had a loopy kick and I saw him chasing ass in other highlights of other players where he couldn't go with them or gave up.
He very well may develop into a good player but he could never play a game as well.
Very rarely would you get 4 premium key defenders from a draft and he was 4th picked was he not.
Well to be honest, I'll probably back our recruiters who have been watching him for the last 3 years over your opinion of him from watching a couple of highlight videos.

5th including Darcy.

Well to be honest, I'll probably back our recruiters who have been watching him for the last 3 years over your opinion of him from watching a couple of highlight videos.

Yes I would as well.
It's just you guys are talking like it's already a win. Could go either way.
You saw something in Stanley and haven't developed him to his potential.
We will know the answer in 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back