Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a classic win-win, St Kilda are playing the long game, by the time Goddard and Paddy, Bilings, Dunstan, McKenzie etc are in their prime, Rhys will be 31. In my opinion, our best players haven't been drafted yet, next year will be a cracker of a draft, any of 5 guys are bona fide standouts better than Petracca, so Geelong get a 202cm athlete in his prime and we get the best under 18 KDP in the nation, happy days for both.

I'm a bit confused about Geelong at the moment, they seem to be collecting slightly dodgy ruckmen.
Unless I'm wrong you now have.
Mitch Clarke - Ruck Fwd. Dodgy for the obvious reasons.
Rhys Stanley - Ruck or Ruck/FWD Dodgy due to inconsistancy
Dawson Simpson - Ruck Doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with his abilities or injuries.
Hamish McIntosh - Ruck , only dodgy because of injury, and surely gets a game when fit.
Vardy - I'm really not sure where he fits in.
Josh Walker -Ruck Forward, Maybe a bit young, struggling at AFL level.
Bliclavs - only a year younger than Stanley, but I thought he was really promising.

I can only guess it will be hard to get locked into Geelong's ruck or R/F positions this year.

You have a good point SaintsSeptember. It's no secret we have been very struggling in the ruck department over the last few years.
I think they had to do something short term and trade a few prospects in because - as you mentioned above it's not looking ideal for the next year or two for rucks.

Mitch Clark - Will definitely play forward, maybe a slight bit in the ruck, but not much at all in my opinion. I think he will be a pure CHF - as Hawkins' right hand man. Definitely a bit of a concern with his mental issues, also his foot is a concern and as he's been out of the game for a while he may take some time to build his tank up. Apparently he is 'flying' at training (which they say for every player this time of year).

Stanley - We've pretty much all covered it. I am genuinely excited to see what he brings. I honestly cannot say how he will go next year, but think he may surprise a few.

Dawson Simpson - Great tap ruckman, but that's about it. Slow, LTI's, and gets exposed anywhere else around the ground. Will be genuinely surprised if he plays next year.

H-Mac - Was pretty decent for the first half of the year for us. But towards the end of the year he ran out of steam. Unfortunately I think he's body isn't up to it anymore. Is injured a lot and isn't getting any younger. At this stage is ahead of Dawson if he can get on the park.

Vardy - May ruck a bit but see him as more of a pure CHF. Again, long term injuries haven't helped. Think he's competing against Walker/Stanley/Clark for that spot. Hope to see him next year as he has a lot of talent. A bit dubious of him rucking a lot.

Josh Walker - Showed something in the prelim against Hawthorn. Still young, only 21 but has struggled at AFL level. Think he may be given a few games early next season. Has great endurance, and can run all day. Consistency is his problem, and with the recruitment of Clark and Stanley, he has his work cut out for him. Can ruck a little which is good, but again, hard to see him in the center for prolonged periods of time.

Blicavs - Guy is a freak. Can put him in any position and he can adapt. Obviously aerobic/physical condition is outstanding. Can ruck but may be exposed as a true ruckman. We all saw what happened against the North Melbourne game where we ended our season. Got exposed in the ruck and it's a pretty big problem for us.

It was a classic win-win, St Kilda are playing the long game, by the time Goddard and Paddy, Bilings, Dunstan, McKenzie etc are in their prime, Rhys will be 31. In my opinion, our best players haven't been drafted yet, next year will be a cracker of a draft, any of 5 guys are bona fide standouts better than Petracca, so Geelong get a 202cm athlete in his prime and we get the best under 18 KDP in the nation, happy days for both.
Yep. We need a champ midfielder in the 2015 Draft. No question we have to nail that.

Regarding Rhys' pace, he's very quick with a flying start but pretty slow off the mark. He therefore struggles to burn a defender off on a lead unless it's more than 20 or 30 metres. Because he can't burn them off, he needs to rely on strength in the marking contest, which he doesn't have. His speed therefore suits him to being a ruckman, but he doesn't have the strength to ever be very good at the craft. Someone earlier mentioned he'd probably go alright on a wing, but of course he would never be elite against actual wingers.

Regarding Rhys' pace, he's very quick with a flying start but pretty slow off the mark. He therefore struggles to burn a defender off on a lead unless it's more than 20 or 30 metres. Because he can't burn them off, he needs to rely on strength in the marking contest, which he doesn't have. His speed therefore suits him to being a ruckman, but he doesn't have the strength to ever be very good at the craft. Someone earlier mentioned he'd probably go alright on a wing, but of course he would never be elite against actual wingers.
Its just my opinion but I always thought he was just a good 'handy' player.
But there was such a wow factor about a 200plus cm player winning a Gf sprint that expectations about what he 'might' developent into got way out of hand.

If teams really are going to stick with a single ruckman doing 80% or more of the work then Geelong could use a Stanley/Blicavs combo to exploit that.

No ruckman in the comp is going to be able to keep up with these guys athletically (maybe Nic Nat and Ryder) but what they lack in hitouts they make up for in around the ground capacity.

Its a roll of the dice in a few ways - game style, player fitness, player quality - but if it works then the Cats ruck division could change the game.

Blicavs - Guy is a freak. Can put him in any position and he can adapt. Obviously aerobic/physical condition is outstanding. Can ruck but may be exposed as a true ruckman. We all saw what happened against the North Melbourne game where we ended our season. Got exposed in the ruck and it's a pretty big problem for us.
Please, he is very ordinary. Let's forget Geelong discussion on our board please mods? It's all about St Kilda, exciting time of the year, who cares about another club.

Please, he is very ordinary. Let's forget Geelong discussion on our board please mods? It's all about St Kilda, exciting time of the year, who cares about another club.

Settle down BS. Bliclavs is an athlete, which is why he was a late Rookie pick.
He's been OK at AFL, and will surely improve with time.

No worries Brian. Consider this my last post then. With all due respect I felt I wasn't clogging up the board as the thread title is basically what I'm/we are discussing. I do see where you're coming from if it got a little side-tracked. Apologies for that.

Cheers to everyone for the info/insights re: Stanley.

Again, good luck for 2015 :thumbsu:, super excited to see some of the new guys play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries Brian. Consider this my last post then. With all due respect I felt I wasn't clogging up the board as the thread title is basically what I'm/we are discussing. I do see where you're coming from if it got a little side-tracked. Apologies for that.

Cheers to everyone for the info/insights re: Stanley.

Again, good luck for 2015 :thumbsu:, super excited to see some of the new guys play.
Hey!!! Dont try and make us feel guilty because we gave you crap and your actually a really nice bloke :p
All the best for Stanley :thumbsu:.
Good luck to the Cats ( as long as you have a shocker against the Saints and Goddard takes a screamer on Stanleys head of course :D)

At the risk of harping on about it;

Stanley: 11 touches, 2 goals, 2 marks, 10 hitouts.

Bruce: 14 touches, 6 goals, 8 marks, 5 hitouts.

And Stanley had the 2 goals and 2 marks, and 6 of the possessions to half time... I'll take Brucey thanks...

Last edited:
Geelong can rebuild around Rhys Stanley, they are finished. I'm happy to rebuild around an All Australian CHB who is 7 years younger and a lot more competitive and who hates to lose a game of snap.
The eventual 'greatest CHB of all time'.

I think the policy was fine, I think the person we chose was wrong.

I would have let go of Hickey/Longer and Lee for pick 21 and a pick swap.
We have too many ruckmen only... And as much as people try to convince themselves otherwise... The are useless fwd.
the sign of this is Piercd still in the Sandy twos

I think the policy was fine, I think the person we chose was wrong.

I would have let go of Hickey/Longer and Lee for pick 21 and a pick swap.
We have too many ruckmen only... And as much as people try to convince themselves otherwise... The are useless fwd.
the sign of this is Piercd still in the Sandy twos

Someone would have to be willing to pay it though. None have established themselves enough to demand pick 21. All could be worth more after a good season. Stanley always had potential but we can't know how much we gained for a few years. If Goddard ends up a gun it will be an amazing trade, especially if Rhys never meets expectation. If Rhys is a gun and Goddard doesn't make it not so great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back