Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyhow, back to talking about Stanley to Geel etc etc.
You have to have a few true ruckmen on your list. Because if your in the bad situation where a couple are injured at the same time then you can be screwed .
Hickey & Longer look like they could turn out to be very good ruckmen. And should develop just in time for our next serious crack.
Pierce is still an unknown and Holmes is a long shot.
So thats two decent rucks who could both still get a whole lot better * ( Billy/ Hickey).
1 ruck who is a back up untill he matures ( Pierce)
and 1 cheap international selection Ruck who has a lot to learn but wont embarrass himself if we need to play him cos of injuries. ( Holmes)
I think thats got us in a strong enough position for now ruckwise why we are rebuilding our side.
So trading Stanley for a decent draft pick wasnt really a risk IMO. Im not knocking Stanleys abilitys but i think he was treading water. He might blossom with Geelong , he might not. But it doesnt really matter cos he wasnt blossoming with us.
I think weve covered the loss of Stanleys ruck depth. And weve covered his loss up fwd with some good young fwds drafted.
So getting Goddard was extremely worth it. ( whether it was just pure luck that we ended up with Goddard is irrelevant . Because thats what we got)

Drafting young rucks isnt an exact science . They take a while to come good and its hard to know exactly how much they will develop.
Its hard to tell whether weve hit the nail on the head yet. But our hammer is gonna swing bloody close to it.
Anyway whats the other option?? Throw 4 million dollars at Sandilands 4 yrs ago to try and lure him across??.
There isnt that many 'brilliant' rucks in the AFL so trying to to entice the best across is gonna cost you Bulldogs/ Boyd type dollars.
Im happy with the way the Stanley trade left our club in regards to fwd & ruck depth. And getting Goddard was a huge bonus.

Good luck to him at Geelong :thumbsu:

Last edited:
1- I think Geelong see Rhys as a support role for Hawkins.

2- Trade value is determined on a team's need for a specific type of player and not necessarily on the player's real worth... see Boyd.

3- Goddard is a more natural footballer than Rhys, and some say that we rated him as a top 10 pick. So all things being equal, Hugh will turn out 3 times the player that Rhys is.

4- As mentioned above, having both Longer and Hickey is a massive Ace up our sleeve for future drafts / trades.

5- Gut feeling tells me Holmes will be the surprise packet.

Cockiness on here aside, I think Geelong would be reasonably happy with his first game, Fremantle really crushed them overall.

Can't wait to see Goddard play if he's half the star that everyone keeps talking up.

Cockiness on here aside, I think Geelong would be reasonably happy with his first game, Fremantle really crushed them overall.

Can't wait to see Goddard play if he's half the star that everyone keeps talking up.

I agree. Geelong have obviously loaded up on talls and ruck types to cover their injury concerns. I think they're trying to address their fwd issues, as they'll have a better midfield next year. Backline needs to be addressed soon

I think that Rhys Stanley is a decent enough AFL player, he's not a complete stiff. So he will have output at Geelong, and will have good games.

We need to look internally at why it didn't work; its the Saints who failed to develop what was an amazing prospect. We messed him around. Limited coaching for the ruck. Then play a bit forward, with Roo and Kosi, where you are going to be prone to getting in Roo's way and where Kosi doesn't help much. Then play at the back, which frankly Stanley didn't seem overly suited to doing. Then play forward again and be a true CHF.
We stunted his development, and whilst of course he has to take blame for not reaching a higher level of output, Saints haven't let him focus. People talk about playing 50 games being a key point, but he's played vastly different games during his first 50, again stunting his development.

I think he's never going to become that freak of the AFL that was hoped - a guy who can ruck, mark and sprint all at A-grade level. But he can still do all of those 3 things. I reckoned that's why Geelong wanted him; they already have Blicavs and play him in roles around the ground. I figured with Clark in there too, they seemed to be hoarding guys who can pinch-hit in the ruck, of varying body types. Maybe having guys spread around the ground who can all take part in restarts, ball-ups and boundary ins would mean the ruck player can rest more whilst tiring the opposition. Or maybe even play without a ruck at all - could that be the future of AFL footy to have 4 pinch-hitting guys and no genuine ruckman?
Thought we might even see Geelong have him reborn on the wing - imagine being able to kick to a guy like Stanley as a winger coming out of your 50.
And even if they just play him as a forward, playing alongside Hawkins is a different prospect to playing alongside Roo; it might mean that this just suits Stanley a bit better. He's less likely to get in Hawkins way.

But either way, we'll see him on the stats sheet for years to come. And even if he becomes a top AFL player and kicks 40 goals one season, I'll still maintain that he wouldn't have achieved that at St Kilda. Things had gone stale, we'd not helped in that, it was best he moved on - for him and us.

that we could trade Stanley out and get a key backmen with that draft pick was great for our structure.

And fortunate - if no Goddard on the board, we'd have either overpaid for a KPD prospect at that selection, or more likely taken best available and then taken a KPD to develop later. Could have meant no Lonie or Sinclair. Or even ended up with Bruce playing at the back. We have to admit to being fortunate in how it worked out.

How is Goddard going in the VFL by the way? I heard McCartin kicked 4.

You guys getting in your talls early in the rebuild is the way to go as they generally take longer to develop, then draft best available mids in the first round for the next few years and hope they break out and contribute within 3-4 years = a scary looking St Kilda by 2018-19.

From a Dogs fan POV, I'd say Stanley was like Jones for us in that both players didn't reach full potential, though like ike2112 said, Stanley never settled down in one position, but Jones for us was given plenty of time to be the number one forward but never coped and it was all too hard for him. Both clubs are better off now with both former prospects being traded off.

How is Goddard going in the VFL by the way? I heard McCartin kicked 4.

You guys getting in your talls early in the rebuild is the way to go as they generally take longer to develop, then draft best available mids in the first round for the next few years and hope they break out and contribute within 3-4 years = a scary looking St Kilda by 2018-19.

From a Dogs fan POV, I'd say Stanley was like Jones for us in that both players didn't reach full potential, though like ike2112 said, Stanley never settled down in one position, but Jones for us was given plenty of time to be the number one forward but never coped and it was all too hard for him. Both clubs are better off now with both former prospects being traded off.

I haven't seen Hugh play, but reports of his two practice matches have been very positive - two weeks ago the Sandy coach said 'he was beating his opponent, so we moved him onto another opponent and he beat him too'. Is getting really impressive stats. But I think that the best indication of Hugh was from Joey (I think) who said that he's a typical Goddard - very intense, hates losing at anything.

I can't agree on Stanley. I just think he wasn't up to it, no matter what you did (I haven't watched enough of Jones, but I feel the same way from what I've seen). First, when I watched Stanley play live I realised that he just didn't have the football smarts to know where to run despite all his time in the system - he would often get caught wide on the flanks and be a spectator as we moved the ball forward. Second, one of his key assets had been oversold - yes, he's fast, but he's very slow off the mark: that's OK for a gut running midfielder, but it's disastrous for a key forward because he can't get "separation" (Plugger was lightening off the mark). Third, he had no mongrel.

That's one thing Jones didn't have much of either, but I'd say it was more a lack of heart.

That's good to hear about Hugh :thumbsu: There were a few KPDs in last years draft so will be interesting to see who develops first.

Hugh had 23 possies & 12 marks on the weekend. He has a large & developed frame. His development is ahead of Paddy McCartin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing that impresses me most about hugh is the comments that he is already directing the backline down at sandy and showing leadership. All in less than what 4-5 games?

We've got a beauty

I am catching up on 3aw podcasts and it's awesome hearing what people say about him before he gets drafted. Beejs comments in particular were spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh had 23 possies & 12 marks on the weekend. He has a large & developed frame. His development is ahead of Paddy McCartin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Boy.

:D

And fortunate - if no Goddard on the board, we'd have either overpaid for a KPD prospect at that selection, or more likely taken best available and then taken a KPD to develop later. Could have meant no Lonie or Sinclair. Or even ended up with Bruce playing at the back. We have to admit to being fortunate in how it worked out.

Yes, but it was a calculated gamble. Trade talk was because of what clubs were looking for the draft order was a bit of a lottery from picks 7- to 25 with many players being "relatively" even.

Looking the other way, if the injectors had not of had a moment of clarity and followed Carltank's lead by taking a bust as a first rounder, we may have picked up both Laverde and Goddard, which would have meant no McKenzie, but still Lonie and Sinclair.

So in actual fact we were unlucky :p

Yes, but it was a calculated gamble. Trade talk was because of what clubs were looking for the draft order was a bit of a lottery from picks 7- to 25 with many players being "relatively" even.

Looking the other way, if the injectors had not of had a moment of clarity and followed Carltank's lead by taking a bust as a first rounder, we may have picked up both Laverde and Goddard, which would have meant no McKenzie, but still Lonie and Sinclair.

So in actual fact we were unlucky :p
Who's the Injectors' bust? Langford? He'll be a player.

Jesus I hope we don't pick McCartin.

Reeks of Watts being brought in too early against Collingwood 4 or five years ago
Hasn't even played a proper VFL game yet I doubt he'll be picked.

Injectors = Essendon

Not Langford, Broekhurst for the Brown baggers, jeez barrels keep up :$
My apologies Joff, I misread.

I took it as you suggesting that the Stabbers had followed Carlscum's lead and taken a bust, rather than IF they had.

As a few of you may be aware, I've been involved with the club for a while and I must say that Hugh Goddard is the most exciting prospect we have had come in since Nick Riewoldt.
I get the feeling that last year was a year that he cared more about playing with his mates at MGS than Geelong, and I think he has set out to reclaim his claim to being the number 1 player from last years draft.
In actual reality from my observations we got picks 1 (Goddard) and 2 in Paddy.

As a few of you may be aware, I've been involved with the club for a while and I must say that Hugh Goddard is the most exciting prospect we have had come in since Nick Riewoldt.
I get the feeling that last year was a year that he cared more about playing with his mates at MGS than Geelong, and I think he has set out to reclaim his claim to being the number 1 player from last years draft.
In actual reality from my observations we got picks 1 (Goddard) and 2 in Paddy.

:thumbsu: Mate its very exciting to see/hear their progress at VFL level. All we can expect them to do is to have an impact and they are both doing that in spades. I agree that this draft will define our side for the next 8-10 years. To pick up our number 1 fwd and def in one draft is immense. Much easier to pick up mids over the next couple of drafts not to mention a free agent or two!! Bains, Trout and the other recruiting staff - pretty fair to say they are one of the best in the league, (some would argue the best but that could be bias)!!;)

It's interesting to hear the 'so-called experts' are start to say that the St Kilda way of rebuilding is the way to go, the Saints are going about it the right way etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back