Richard Douglas - underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

An easy way to fix this argument - where would you rate Douglas in our current squad - who is above him?

I mean in terms of now - what they bring to a game played today (not potential etc...).

I'd put him about here:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard

When you look at that list, which I agree with btw, our top 10 players are real quality. Now for the depth.

The first 10 pretty much pick themselves. I would be interested to see who the next 10 would be, in order. It falls away badly.

An easy way to fix this argument - where would you rate Douglas in our current squad - who is above him?

I mean in terms of now - what they bring to a game played today (not potential etc...).

I'd put him about here:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard
Yep, I reckon that's about the mark.

10th in a side that finished 10th

I'd put him about here:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard

I'd put him ahead of Smith, Crouch and Betts. Smith has had 1 good season. Crouch hasn't even had 1 good season. Eddie as had a few but only 1 for us and very inconsistent.

I'd cut Richard some slack on this season's output after what can only be described as a horrific injury surely it's understandable it would take time to get your full confidence back after something like that. I'm sure his form in 2015 will be back to his 2013 standard where he was so consistent with his output.

I'd cut Richard some slack on this season's output after what can only be described as a horrific injury surely it's understandable it would take time to get your full confidence back after something like that. I'm sure his form in 2015 will be back to his 2013 standard where he was so consistent with his output.

Far too sensible and fair for this thread.

And now if we look at the Joel Corey comparison ...

Where would you put 2009 Joel Corey (when he was the same age as Douglas now) in this list:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Corey, Joel
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
And now if we look at the Joel Corey comparison ...

Where would you put 2009 Joel Corey (when he was the same age as Douglas now) in this list:

Sloane, Rory
Dangerfield, Patrick
Walker, Taylor
Joel Corey
Talia, Daniel
Jacobs, Sam
Smith, Brodie
Betts, Eddie
Thompson, Scott
Crouch, Brad
Douglas, Richard
Lel who's Corey Joel? If you're going by how the other names are arranged.

I'm bit of a Douglas fan. Love his aggression at the man and contest but I would love to see him play a few consistently good seasons in a row.

Btw is the indiginous round strip one of the best strips we have played in. Loved it
The strip is a riipper did buy it!
Im a big fan of an all navy strip for every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a "Douglas" year in 2014. Seemed a few steps behind his 2013 self and I have a feeling he will be back on song come 2015.

No doubt in my mind Douglas was restricted with injury and like you I'm expecting next year that Dougie will get back to his season 2013 form

I was very disappointed in Douglas this season, he cost himself a chance of captaincy in my opinion. The injury early in the year must of real messed him up in the head, which is understandable. He just looked slow out there and we aren't a particularly speedy team. Hoping for him to get back to his best in 2015.

Do you really need this question answered...
Well I don't understand the thought process behind there not being an elite, best 22 - team of the year anymore.

Suddenly it's a squad, and it doesn't really matter whether you make the team or not? Come on... ask Sauce if be thinks its the same

You completely misread me, Peter. All I said was that the AA squad were all elite players, and I don't think it's right to say that any player (e.g. Richie Douglas) is not elite standard if he gets in the AA squad but misses the AA 22.

Never said anything about dropping the 22. The 22 is "the best of the best". The squad is "the best".

You completely misread me, Peter. All I said was that the AA squad were all elite players, and I don't think it's right to say that any player (e.g. Richie Douglas) is not elite standard if he gets in the AA squad but misses the AA 22.

Never said anything about dropping the 22. The 22 is "the best of the best". The squad is "the best".
Some players make the squad that are definitely not elite.

Fair enough - but I'm not going to accept any talk of Douglas being more than a good average player on the back of 1 x AA squad selection over his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back