Richmond vs Essendon: How big is the rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
In my extended family this is the rivalry. I come from a family of Essendon supporters. Every uncle. Every cousin. Every aunt. Every cousins kid. My mother. My father. My sisters and my brother. All support this mob. Except me.

It's truly why I firmly believe we are born Tigers. I was given everything as a child to become an Essendon fan. I never went there once I could make my own decisions.

Given they have won 4 flags in my lifetime to Richmond have played 4 finals, I wouldn't trade it for the world. So for me and my huge family, this is the one. They love to get one over me. I enjoy this win more than any other.

But on a wider Scale It's not a significant rivalry. Hasn't been in my lifetime. I thought it might develop after 1995 draw and semi but we went s**t once Northey departed again.

I hate these pricks, especially after this drug saga more than anything else.
I can relate. All my uncles, Grandmother, Mother, Brother, Most of my cousins, as well as a lot of my close mates are Essendon supporters. Everyone of them, arrogant and deluded as the rest of the flogs on here. The amount of s**t I have copped over my lifetime from them has been unbearable.

It's why I want not only WADA and CAS to tear them a new one. I want the club to struggle for the next 30 years like we have. Caused by their favorite son.... C'MON WADA!!!

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's why I always leave at 3 qrter time. Their fans..... either the biggest sooks if they lose, or so unbearable after they win. Just easier to leave early.

Mate wait til we get it going. Nothing so unbearable to opposition fans as The Tiger Army with its tail up swaggering round town.
No one swaggers and gives it like us when we are rolling. Richmond in the 1970s make any essendon era seem self effacing and quiet. We brew a decent sook as well.

Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
Mate wait til we get it going. Nothing so unbearable to opposition fans as The Tiger Army with its tail up swaggering round town.
No one swaggers and gives it like us when we are rolling. Richmond in the 1970s make any essendon era seem self effacing and quiet. We brew a decent sook as well.
I've never experienced an up and about Richmond. Any sought of momentum we have had in my lifetime quickly get's halted. So I've learnt to keep my mouth shut most of the time, regardless of how well we are doing.
But yes, I can imagine that if we get a Hawthorn type of success that we will be the most unbearable supporters..... And it will be wonderful

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ahead of the Dreamtime game in 2 weeks time I found myself wondering how big our rivalry was with Essendon. Growing up I was always told that we were big rivals the Bombers, but recently all I've heard people talk about concerning Richmond's rivalries is with Carlton and Collingwood. Surely it must have some sort of significance because we play in the 2nd biggest game of the year.

So how big is the Richmond v Essendon rivalry? Can anyone explain it's significance?
When I was a kid and we were winning flags Essendon were small fry hence the Baby Bombers, without an ex Richmond player steeped in the Hafey traditions they would still be small fry they owe us big time.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Personally this is one of the biggest (if not biggest) rivalry's of our club. First of all for years growing up I had to deal with Essendon's success and arrogant supporters while we struggled through the 90s. Now as we are starting to become a strong club they have taken all the spotlight away from us even ruining our first finals campaign in 12 years with their cheating.

I think Dreamtime has also built a strong rivalry. For example I was in the pisser and some dickhead was saying s**t and I said something back (pisser was packed too as per usual) and then he kept going like a big hero, and when I thought I was dealing with the biggest dickhead alive in a toilet full of blokes more worried about getting their business done so they could hit more beers a bloke steps back and sticks up the tiges... Intimated the Essendon ******** who thought he owned the room because he wouldn't stop running his mouth and thought everyone was backing him up. It was almost like every tiger in room was eying him off...

bit of a gay story but the tension was ever present.
The tension is always ever present in a toilet full of males, fortunately we Tiger supporters have by gods blessing been endowed with larger than normal appendages and huge balls, while Essendon supporters much like their coach require drug enhancement to get a boner, owing to excessive abuse of the roids and other supplements.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
200.gif

Jimmy, I am sorry but I am going to use that Gif heaps, and take credit for it :p :oops:

Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton just edges Essendon as the team I love to hate. However, their supporters are some of the biggest w**kers in the league. They are unbelievably entitled - that's why you get the reaction to the Drugs saga. Born to rule mentality. Hope we smash them.

RFC LALAKERS

Draftee
Apr 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon are nothing but little runts who have the worst foward line in the AFL. Hopefully we make it three in a row, need to kill them on the scoreboard expects 8 goals from Jack and 4 goals between Cotch and Dusty with both of them racking up the high disposal count. Expect a three vote game from Ivan, he is playing the worst number 1 ruckman in Bellchambers

Jokes aside, not a huge rivalry

Do love to beat them though because with that s**t eating "we are Essington" attitude a lot of their supporters have, they can be unbearable flogs

tigerninja

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Even after we become fletchers party poopers, there will be no rivalry. We need to play thm in about 5 grand finals first within a 5-10 year period, then maybe they will get the honour of being a rival to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back