Opinion Richmond's Future Talls Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure to be honest.

Well if it is, we can't say the club didn't give him every chance at making it in some position. Alot of posters condemn the club for moving him around, but he's basically had 2 years as a swingman at Coburg and been serviceable at FB/CHB and awful at FF/CHF. I like that they're trying him in the ruck:thumbsu:

We tend to hear this just about everywhere nut i think its a bit of misconception , Whilst he isnt fast by any means he isnt a total slouch and going by what cotchin said in his recent interview David Astbury along with Rance is 1 of the better runners from the big blokes - In speed i dont think there is much between him and jack

I really like Astbury. He is big strong, skilled and smart. All fantastic traits for an AFL player. He never was fast, but was OK. His injury was awful and he slowed down (I'd be lucky to move at more than a jog after doing a knee). If he gets his mobilty back then he is a likely AFL tall for me. My only real point is that Griff has real speed and can kick the ball into tomorrow. So Astbury as a CHF doesn't open up the forward line in the same way as Griff. But to get JR the freedom I want, another AFL quality KPP is required. First problem with that is that it is my grand plan, possibly not Dimma's. (Although why Dimma isn't taking his team tactics from me I don't know - shocking :p )

I think the swingman role is Astbury's best bet of becoming a regular senior player with the Tiges.

He has shown he can play back and forward, and has the smarts to adjust his play according to the game situation.

The big question is whether he can he can recover a bit of leg speed following that much discussed knee injury.

The ability to read play amounts to very little if you are slow (unless you are Diesel Williams).

On the upside, recent reports of his good running endurance suggest that he might find things tipped in his favour with the interchange cap coming into play this season.

Leads the competition for hitouts to advantage, had 8 one-percenters tonight, great game. Of course, as it is his first go as 1st ruck he will slowly come into his own in terms of having a presence on field. Needs to start clunking a few big grabs.

You can't complain with Shaun Hampson's effort tonight. We knew he wasn't going to be a great forward or have the ability to regularly clunk big marks around the ground but that is why we are playing him in the ruck. His work tap was fantastic and he was one player that did what was of expected of them tonight. Hopefully the more confidence and games he gains he can slowly start to improve his work around the ground.

Very sad news about his Farther passing away as well, makes his effort even more admirable.

Areas to improve but his tap work is elite. That's a start.

Really needs to become even an average overhead mark and he will be a very good player. Right now he is shocking in that department.

A lot to like but a lot to work on......

Sounds about right.
Positivity Bob, I like it. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hampson is an OK mark. Not great, but he doesn't suck either. He is elite in one aspect of his football (ruckwork), strong in another (Athleticism), but serviceable at best at most others. He is a good, handy footballer, who makes us a better side by being in there. He is a better ruckman than Maric. I have no qualms saying that. However, Maric is more versatile than what Hamspon is.

Our 3 Ruckman are very strong in different areas:

Hampson: Elite in his hitouts.
Maric: Around the Ground work
Griffiths: Marking, and his second efforts from hitouts.

I could see all 3 playing together in the one side, and each doing their fair share in the ruck. Similar to McEvoy, Hale and Roughead for the Hawks.

His tap work is hiding his *******ity around the ground. I thought he was the Saint Kilda School girl tonight in general play tonight just like every other game he has played for us. He's got no improvement in him around the ground and we are better off cutting our loses now with him.

If by chance we are any chance at all of developing the rest of the game it needs to be in the reserves for a long period , namely the rest if the season . I would of orefered Vickery and Griff sharing the ruck work tonight rather than Hampson being in the side.

That tap to advantage stat is very deceiving when he is feeding it down the oppositions through 3 out if 5 times.

Dud Delist. Let's get fair dinkum I reckon .

Jack Reiwoldt was taking taking the piss out of him after the game during his interview with Richo , Jack said he must have been wearing oven mits during the game because he did not take one mark and Richo laughed and called him Cricket Bat arms. Pmsl Cricket bat arms. How can you take a mark with Cricket bats as arms ? That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked like the opposition were sharking a lot of his taps but clearly not.. Good stat to have on his side..
They tried, when a ruck dominates that much it's easier to go after that ruck, we did the same against West Coast last year

Didn't know that his dad had passed away. That's really sad. I lost my old man at 20 and it was tough. Couldn't imagine rocking up to play footy the same week.

There's a time and a place to stick the boots into a footy player. Now's not one of those times.

There are some pretty s**t blokes on this forum at times.

Happy Easter all.

hmmm one thing i gleaned from being at the game last night was that he tapped a lot of boundary throw ins in the brisbane 50 behind his head, straight into the corridor. i dont know who's plan that is, but i have never seen anyone tap 99% of boundary throw ins behind his head into the opposition corridor. couldnt believe what i was seeing. a better team would have kicked a few more goals from that.
at centre bounces, has been great, but, as other people have said, he is still coming into his own around the ground.
will be a better player once we start playing regular day games.

looked like a large percentage of his ruck tap work was palmed out behind him...did you think anybody on our side woke up to that fact...
Ruck...tap behind...no one there....Ruck...tap behind...no one there...Ruck tap behind...no one there...Ruck...tap behind...no one there...Repeat ad naseum

Sandilands effect. We won the tapouts 66-38 (Hampson 52) - and barely won the clearances 45-41. Centre clearances, when we can set up, not crowded, there are only 3 opposition defenders around - all square. Better than losing them, I suppose.

Definitely tried hard but apart from his very good work ruck he doesn't offer much.

Had some serious clangers around the ground and appears to only want to put 1 hand up instead of 2 a lot of the time when contesting for a mark. And then there was the time Martin handballed to him and he shat bricks, but that wasn't his fault, he wasn't on for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back