Opinion Ricky Petterd

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't get the hate for Petterd on this board. He should be spoken about in the same light as Chaplin, Houli, Grigg and Maric as Hartley specials. But the way some people speak about him is as though he wouldn't make our VFL team.

Let's recap his year, we pick him up for nothing in the rookie draft with the intention of recreating him as a half-back. Has a full-pre-season and dominates NAB cup, kicking the winning goal in an exciting game against Essendon. His form and attitude made it easy for the coaching staff to upgrade him to the senior list as a rookie before the H&A season had begun. He made his debut in round 2 and held his spot until he injured his calf after round 6. After recovering from his injury and smashing it up in the magoos, he returned in our bogey game against the Suns, was BOG and arguably won the game for us. He was an absolute rock, taking amazing marks and tackling like a man possessed. He then held his spot for the entire season (bar missing two games due to injury), providing rock solid defence, great rebound and decision making. He was also one of our better performers in the finals. To top it off, the coaching staff recognised his prowess and last week was permanently upgraded to the senior list.

Petterd has an amazing mark and like many players on our team, has no regard for his own safety when attacking the ball or man. He makes good decisions, and whilst his kicking action is cringeworthy at best, he hits the target. Let's not forget his versatility as a medium forward in case we need a shake up too. I think the most amazing and impressive thing is that it was his first season in the AFL as a half-back. His potential for improvement is untapped.

I am very looking forward to watching Petterd run out in our round 1 team and cement himself as one of the key players of our team. Complete kudos to him, not many get delisted from a bottom side and completely turn it around in a team vying for top 4 as he has.

Yeah im happy to have him onboard. His kicking style gives me knightmares but Dimma loves him and seems to have a fair bit of respect for him so all good in my books. Id like some of the youngsters to go past him in time but cant fault his effort.

I hope you're right. I'm still not convinced.

I'm also still upset at the plastic cup snake he was involved in making and passing around Bay 13 during the Boxing Day Test.

The reality is he had a pretty reasonably good year that I reckon he can build on with another pre season. Has some really good qualities, finds the footy, brave, good mark and generally good decision maker . He was one of the best players in the finals with 18 possies a goal and hand in a few more. Look forward to seeing him in 2014

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what?:eek:.Least he didn't king hit a teammate.

I really didn't think anyone would take that comment seriously. On a more serious note, a plastic cup snake? Who does that?!

On a lighter note, I stress badly when that bloke has the ball in hand. I sometimes wonder that I may judge him more harshly like I do Daniel Jackson because their mistakes are quite often howlers. Time will tell.

I don't mind him. His pros just outweight his cons so that's good enough for me, for now.
But really, when he is squeezed out, we will be better for it. That's a bit cryptic, but you know what I mean.

I will cop that, good OP.

I havent been critical of him personally, I just wanted Batch to play his role instead.

Think most want that..
That's now up to Batch..

like him or not, he plays when he's fit so the Coaches like him. i reckon he's been a good fit thus far

Think the criticism with Petterd is misdirected, rather than being annoyed with him taking a spot in the 22 from the likes of Batchelor or Dea, we should annoyed with them. After all they were on the list already and should have been able to step up before Petterd arrived and secured themselves in the 22.

As I said in another thread, having mature aged recruits come in is going to put pressure on some of these kids to actually step up and fight for a spot. This will have an impact one way or the other, as we'll either find out those that are worthy of a spot or we'll quickly which kids should be moved on ASAP.

FWIW, I like Petterd as a player, he is good at getting hold of the ball, uses it reasonably well, isn't afraid to put his head over it when required and is reliable defensively. With the way he finished the season, it's going to take a big effort from Batchelor or Dea to displace him, however if they do then as Tugga said it's only good for us.

I think he played most of his junior years, and early years, as a half back. Only Melbourne tried to turn him into a half forward. Must have been as part of his development.
As Dimma has publically stated "youve got your heart in your mouth when he kicks, but it gets from point A to point B"
Hes a borderline best 22, hopefully more so next year (and im not hoping he has a bad year)

Where does this "the coach loves him" stuff come from? One poster says it then it becomes gospel.

Reality is that he had to earn his way in, then earn it back in via the 2s after injury. He aint special in the eyes of the club, Dimma has no favourites (ask Axel) so don't worry about him holding out a better performed kid because it doesn't happen here anymore.

FWIW I reckon he's best 22, can find it for himself and use it ok, is tough and strong enough in a contest. Whether he has the silk to hold on to his spot when a better distributor of the ball turns up, dunno. His kicking penetration is a negative, but not life threatening...yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back