Rights deal - Telstra

Remove this Banner Ad

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I notice Telstra got the website rights again. It's good the AFL is squeezing all it can in revenue. But the AFL website is terrible.

My main grief with it is the way the AFL drop-down menus are subordinate to Telstra's - seems very clumsy and amateur, as if someone's nerdy younger brother agreed to let them use his domain.

I wonder if the new deal requires Telstra to improve it.

I notice Telstra got the website rights again. It's good the AFL is squeezing all it can in revenue. But the AFL website is terrible.

My main grief with it is the way the AFL drop-down menus are subordinate to Telstra's - seems very clumsy and amateur, as if someone's nerdy younger brother agreed to let them use his domain.

I wonder if the new deal requires Telstra to improve it.
Not sure Telstra is actually responsible for the website design. They're likely more responsible for the infrastructure (ie. Hosting, content delivery, etc).

They may have provided a template to the AFL media team that they've decided to go with but my guess is that it would be up to the AFL media team to make any changes to page design.

I just wish Telstra made sure all the games they stream live are directly from fox footy so I can avoid sevens ads. Again, Telstra half own Foxtel so surely they can do this. I have a t box at home so when it comes to Friday night I get the fox footy broadcast right up until the bounce then I get bombarded with ads from seven.

I can't believe people think the app is good. Very average quality, poor device support, replays not available for ages after matches, some matches drop out and fail...

As for the website, it's a horror... Here's an analysis I prepared for an earlier thread

nI6nZcR.jpg

As for the website, it's a horror... Here's an analysis I prepared for an earlier thread

nI6nZcR.jpg
The nerve of them putting unobtrusive advertising material next to content you're not directly paying for.

The navigation is a mess but the content is decent.

There aren't many sports where you can watch replays of virtually every game from the last decade.

Afl live pass is okay.......if it wouldn't conk out every third week..
Most major North American leagues sell this as part of their paid service.

I wonder if the AFL actually sought out any new bidders for the rights in order to improve their product? MLB Advanced Media have a far better presentation for MLB, PGA Tour and even WWE than what Telstra has done for the AFL, and recently the NHL signed them up to deliver online content.

Most major North American leagues sell this as part of their paid service.

I wonder if the AFL actually sought out any new bidders for the rights in order to improve their product? MLB Advanced Media have a far better presentation for MLB, PGA Tour and even WWE than what Telstra has done for the AFL, and recently the NHL signed them up to deliver online content.

Thing is, 7 and Foxtel wouldn't pay as much for the rights if another entity got to show AFL online. They don't mind it being a Telstra app because, as mention, Telstra own 50% of Foxtel (the other 50% is News Corp).

I'm not sure why 7 is okay with it. Probably because they get to show their ads on there and possibly because it gets them a discount on the portion they have to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know about baseball.....but I subscribed to the NFL digital pass and its not that much better than the afl app contentwise (notwithstanding the much better picture quality but australia internet infrastructure is s**t). Could only watch the superbowl from a few years back.

Its about three times more expensive too. (for the full package)

Last edited:
The critical issue with the app is picture quality, which is currently worse than SD broadcast tv. Everything else is just window dressing.

The critical issue with the app is picture quality, which is currently worse than SD broadcast tv. Everything else is just window dressing.

but thats because its designed to be used over mobile infrastructure.

As mentioned by others....foxtel/FTA is the cash cow because of our small population size so you have to temper your expectations.

because of our small population size
Entirely the reason the AFL should want an impressive online presence. The market for the game outside of Australia is much larger than in it, and it doesn't take much for someone with a slight interest to get hooked.

Telstra's AFL Live Pass continues under the new deal, letting you watch every match with the option to pay for just one week or month rather than signing up for the entire season. It's been available on smartphones and tablets for a few years, but under the new deal it's only available to Telstra subscribers. So as other sporting codes around the world extend their streaming services, the AFL is actually abandoning paying customers who don't want to sign up for Telstra.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...-the-balls-20150819-gj2f76.html#ixzz3jDtViRSE

welp that sux......as an optus fella looks like I'm in no longer welcome.

ACCC help us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back