RIP Canning MP Don Randall

Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don Randall the Liberal Canning MP in WA has had a heart attack and thats all she wrote.

Will be an interesting test for the Abbott government as Canning is quite an interesting seat that was really only held by Randall on personal vote.

I reckon this will put Abbott's leadership under significant stress if he gets a kicking in the byelection.

Thoughts?

Just came here to pay my respects to the great man.

62 is too young to go.

His shadow casts over both the Swan and Canning Electorates.

A loveable rogue and a great local member. He gave Mctiernan a lesson in marginal seat politics a few years back which will always be a great memory.

Just came here to pay my respects to the great man.

62 is too young to go.

His shadow casts over both the Swan and Canning Electorates.

A loveable rogue and a great local member. He gave Mctiernan a lesson in marginal seat politics a few years back which will always be a great memory.

R.I.P Don Randall.

His office is only a minutes walk from where I live. He has come door knocking at my house every election and we have had some great discussions. Though his politics are not my cup of tea, I have voted for him a couple of times when the ALP decided to put up a dog's breakfast of candidate.

However, when Mctiernan was up against him, Randall at the time had a huge margin and Mctiernan was close to knocking him off. Don won that seat by the skin of his teeth, Mctiernan was the only one during that election that actually whittled away Don's huge margin as opposed to the other ALP candidates in the election who got a hammering.

Sorry, but Don did not give McTiernan a lesson as you quoted.

I wonder what the Libs will do here now. Randall was one of the Libs who set a spill against Tony's leadership. A by-election now may hand the seat to the ALP. Our Tone will be in 2 minds about Randall's passing.

However, when Mctiernan was up against him, Randall at the time had a huge margin and Mctiernan was close to knocking him off. Don won that seat by the skin of his teeth, Mctiernan was the only one during that election that actually whittled away Don's huge margin as opposed to the other ALP candidates in the election who got a hammering.

Mctiernan was a very popular candidate with a huge profile. It goes without saying without Randall in that seat she would have smashed anyone else when you consider the seat was very marginal before Randall arrived. Mctiernan tried to swap to Hasluck during the lead up and was denied as they felt she was the only one with a realistic chance. That is a true story.

infact iirc before he built up his personal vote, Randall won the seat by a bee's dick against a pretty terrible candidate.

Thoughts go out to his family - never good when a loved one goes that suddenly.

Even if you disagreed with his politics, he was one of the best street-level representatives in the state. Got to watch him up close in a professional context on a number of occasions and he was the consummate local MP.

Opens up a really interesting pre-selection process. As Belnakor said above, he was sitting on a massive margin, but Canning's equal parts notionally Labor and Liberal (although leaning more conservative, to be sure.) If the Libs put up another Collier/Cormann-backed empty suit and Labor pulls someone decent out of the woodwork it could be a very close-run thing.

i would assume they will go tooth and nail since it is winnable for both parties. On paper the seat is ultra marginal.

It's a strange one. It is both a safe Liberal seat and a marginal seat depending which election result you look at. In 2010 when the ALP went with McTiernan it was marginal, only a couple of percent. For the 2013 election when the ALP went with some unknown uni student the margin was double digits Liberal's way.

If the Libs put up another Collier/Cormann-backed empty suit and Labor pulls someone decent out of the woodwork it could be a very close-run thing.

I haven't been involved up that way for awhile but they used to be absolutely ferral, which means the Party will try to get state council to over rule since it is a byelection. In which case it will like be an empty suit and they will lose the seat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw on the news.

Thought I recognised the name- a quick google search told me he tried to move on Abbott. Not bad in my eyes.

Still, I don't know anymore than that, so wish his family all the best.

It's a strange one. It is both a safe Liberal seat and a marginal seat depending which election result you look at. In 2010 when the ALP went with McTiernan it was marginal, only a couple of percent. For the 2013 election when the ALP went with some unknown uni student the margin was double digits Liberal's way.

the ALP have got smashed at pretty much every election in WA since 2004. Prior to 2001 it was a labor seat. While it is hard to know, it is definitely not a 10% margin seat as it appears on paper. Probably won't stop a factional s**t fight though.

the ALP have got smashed at pretty much every election in WA since 2004. Prior to 2001 it was a labor seat. While it is hard to know, it is definitely not a 10% margin seat as it appears on paper. Probably won't stop a factional s**t fight though.

There was a big redistribution in the early 2000s, can't remember exactly when. Before that it used to be a safe ALP seat, held by the ALP since 1983 with the exception of one Liberal member during Howard's first term, but was lost at the next election. It used to be mostly suburban outer-metro, but since the redistribution it takes in rural areas down to Boddington/Pinjarra at one end, and outer suburban low social-economic areas too. It's a strange demographic spread. I'd say on paper it is a Liberal seat with about a 5% margin, verging on being a marginal seat but not really.

It's a strange demographic spread. I'd say on paper it is a Liberal seat with about a 5% margin, verging on being a marginal seat but not really.

It's always been really odd - anywhere else in the Country and it'd probably be a bellwether along the lines of Eden-Monaro, but our natural conservatism probably tips it into the notionally liberal camp.

A lot of the "Liberal" areas it takes in are those weird over-swing zones from 2013 that are likely to come back on Barnett in a big way at the state level. Plus there's the "lets take the opportunity to kick the s**t out of them" impulse you always get with by-elections.

Really interesting immediate test for Patrick Gorman as the new ALP State Secretary - there's talk they're chasing guys like Peter Bell and Lisa Scaffidi (although they'll probably look to give her a run at Eleni Evangel in Perth at a state level). They can't really afford to let the factional heavies pull rank on this one, unless they somehow defy the odds and produce a decent candidate.

I haven't been involved up that way for awhile but they used to be absolutely ferral, which means the Party will try to get state council to over rule since it is a byelection. In which case it will like be an empty suit and they will lose the seat.

Could Katsambanis be a realistic prospect? Strikes me as a bright spark who's really wasted as an MLC.

"MP who led spill against Abbott, found dead". Classy headline on the news.com.au homepage. 62 an age where you have worked hard for decades but have not had the chance to sit back, relax and enjoy the fruits of that labour in retirement.

Vale Don. Not a native WA'n, but looking in from afar at his electoral history, he'd done very well to establish himself in Canning. 'Great local MP' gets tossed around a fair bit these days, but he appears to deserve every bit of that title.

Rule of thumb in by-elections: the swing is double what it would be at a general election. Canning is currently on 11.8%, so I'd peg Labor as favourites to win, especially with that well-established personal vote gone.

Vale Don. Not a native WA'n, but looking in from afar at his electoral history, he'd done very well to establish himself in Canning. 'Great local MP' gets tossed around a fair bit these days, but he appears to deserve every bit of that title.

one of the old school MPs who cared about his electorate unlike the new guys who basically act like it the s**t part of the job they have to get through.

Rule of thumb in by-elections: the swing is double what it would be at a general election. Canning is currently on 11.8%, so I'd peg Labor as favourites to win, especially with that well-established personal vote gone.

Sitting member vote is somewhere between 2-3%. I'd have Randall at more like double that, 5-6%. The liberals are also on the nose a bit in WA for a variety of factors, polling has Barnett's government at 48/52, and Abbott is considerably less popular than Barnett.

I'd have Labor winning by 2-3% depending on what kind of candidate they put up.

R.I.P Don Randall.

His office is only a minutes walk from where I live. He has come door knocking at my house every election and we have had some great discussions. Though his politics are not my cup of tea, I have voted for him a couple of times when the ALP decided to put up a dog's breakfast of candidate.

Sorry, but Don did not give McTiernan a lesson as you quoted.

The WA Liberal supporters cannot accept that an opposition exists - let alone that it might contain someone competent as Allanah - what would Perth be like without the light rail over there - the Liberals resisted it vehemently. That said everyone without exception said he was a great local member

A lot of the "Liberal" areas it takes in are those weird over-swing zones from 2013 that are likely to come back on Barnett in a big way at the state level. Plus there's the "lets take the opportunity to kick the s**t out of them" impulse you always get with by-elections.

Indeed, i think Southern River is in that area which had a 15%+ swing last state election.

Really interesting immediate test for Patrick Gorman as the new ALP State Secretary - there's talk they're chasing guys like Peter Bell and Lisa Scaffidi (although they'll probably look to give her a run at Eleni Evangel in Perth at a state level). They can't really afford to let the factional heavies pull rank on this one, unless they somehow defy the odds and produce a decent candidate.

If they can get Peter Bell that would be a big advantage going into the by-election. Peter did his shirt a couple of years back in property development and working on day time radio so i'd imagine he would be biting their hand off if they offered it to him.

Indeed, i think Southern River is in that area which had a 15%+ swing last state election.

If they can get Peter Bell that would be a big advantage going into the by-election. Peter did his shirt a couple of years back in property development and working on day time radio so i'd imagine he would be biting their hand off if they offered it to him.

AFL players are as bad as lawyers in their total incompetence in the world of Capital

Remove this Banner Ad

Back