RIP Canning MP Don Randall

Remove this Banner Ad

Celebrity candidates is a terrible idea, Nicole Cornes in '07 in Boothby was awful, Southcott should have gone down in that election, and it's possible that the local branch may not have learnt from this.

Always bites in the arse - even someone as magnificent as Rick Charlesworth could not make a go of it and he is no Nicole Cornes - with him the problem was he has reached the pinnacle in medicine and sport through talent and hard work - the poor bastard had to tolerate the promotion of arse kissing idiots around him for the first time in his life

Celebrity candidates is a terrible idea, Nicole Cornes in '07 in Boothby was awful, Southcott should have gone down in that election, and it's possible that the local branch may not have learnt from this.

They have tried a couple of celebrity candidates locally in WA and pretty much all of them have got a kicking. They only have worked in safe seats, at which point you kind of wonder why you needed a celebrity candidate.

My old man reckons Charlesworth shoulda captained Australia during World Series Cricket, a very rare talent indeed, and it would have meant the 78/79 Ashes would have been a monster clash of intellect when you consider Brearley's credentials.

Mike Brearley with his poetry reading and cello playing - what a man he was.

Mike Brearley with his poetry reading and cello playing - what a man he was.

Who would want renaissance man captaining our cricket team. You need a tough bastard who wins. Even a goose like Warnie would be preferable. 'Beneath the southern cross---', then the drunken stump dancing. Thats how we do it!:p

When playing the Poms, winning is all that matters:rolleyes:

Sad passing of an extremely popular local member.

The by-election won't be as interesting as many suspect, strong swings against incumbent governments are very common and given it would be marginal anyway when allowing for the personal vote, can't see the Libs holding this. It will lead to ALP calls that Abbott should go and Abbott will defend the calls by pointing to the tradition of by-elections in government seats seeing them go to independents or opposition.

Winning closely fought by elections are great opportunities for sitting governments that are on the nose to turn their fortunes around. Would not be surprised to the see the Libs fight this one out.

Winning closely fought by elections are great opportunities for sitting governments that are on the nose to turn their fortunes around. Would not be surprised to the see the Libs fight this one out.

they'll fight that is for sure. We'll know more when we see what candidate they put up, if it will be credible or not.

What's this talk of Peter Katsambanis? I knew he had moved to WA and re-entered the world of Legislative Councils, but my memory of him in Victoria was losing the most Jewish Upper House seat in Victoria to a pro-Palestinian candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have tried a couple of celebrity candidates locally in WA and pretty much all of them have got a kicking. They only have worked in safe seats, at which point you kind of wonder why you needed a celebrity candidate.
Cost Carpenter the election with his captains picks

Who would want renaissance man captaining our cricket team. You need a tough bastard who wins. Even a goose like Warnie would be preferable. 'Beneath the southern cross---', then the drunken stump dancing. Thats how we do it!:p

When playing the Poms, winning is all that matters:rolleyes:

MM I am with you - I did say in another post that it was great that Mike Brearley and Warney can both thrive in the same game. I can admire Mike Brearley because we are probably never going to see the likes of him again in cricket.

MM I am with you - I did say in another post that it was great that Mike Brearley and Warney can both thrive in the same game. I can admire Mike Brearley because we are probably never going to see the likes of him again in cricket.

While we might not see a Mike Brearley again, the idea behind team dynamics and having "good guys" on the team (ie: Moody in 1999) is a pretty interesting one.

Misbah ul Haq has done a remarkable job with Pakistan recently, he's the closest I can think of to a modern Brearley.

While we might not see a Mike Brearley again, the idea behind team dynamics and having "good guys" on the team (ie: Moody in 1999) is a pretty interesting one.

What is it B - do you reckon it is good to have them or not to have them?. I reckon honest toilers who are good guys are essential to the operation of a football team

Carpenter was one of the worst Premier's we've had and his dumb decisions like that were key in gifting Barney the election + damaging Labor grass roots. Very effective Liberal premier i guess :)

My sister in law worked on that campaign - Carpenter was naive and believed the bullshit from the ten year old Eastern staters that came to run it.

That said everyone without exception said he was a great local member

I think that's just everyone being polite and not wanting to speak ill of the recently departed while the family are still grieving. Having lived in the electorate for 15 of the last 20 years I'd offer a different view, but thought best not to say anything too soon.

What is it B - do you reckon it is good to have them or not to have them?. I reckon honest toilers who are good guys are essential to the operation of a football team

It works if you have a team of superstars with massive personalities who need to work together (ie: the Australian team for most of the 90s and 00s with guys like Hayden/Warne/Bevan) since those guys performing at their best easily add the 10-20 runs the captain isn't scoring since he averages 20 instead of 40.

Brearley had some genuine superstars to call upon who weren't performing at their best (Botham, Gower etc) prior to him arriving.

If you are s**t team lacking in talent then having a good leader means nothing.

My sister in law worked on that campaign - Carpenter was naive and believed the bullshit from the ten year old Eastern staters that came to run it.

iirc a key point in the campaign was when the Liberals ran the ad saying "name 3 things Labor have done in government". The eggheads at Labor HQ decided not to run a counter advert which was absolutely disastrous for the campaign. Reading the review they commissioned afterwards is quite humorous from a Liberal perspective (and probably horrifying from a Labor perspective). Was really an absolute shambles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back