RIP David "Daisy" Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news, those DJs were like rock stars in the good old days.

If we can convince him to post ;) PropertySteward has a good idea about Daisy's extensive music collection.

Sad news, those DJs were like rock stars in the good old days.

If we can convince him to post ;) PropertySteward has a good idea about Daisy's extensive music collection.
His memorabilia was on display at the State Library during March. At the time, the Adelaide Music Collective (which Daisy helped establish) were talking to the Library about finding a permanent home for it in the city. Given the number of bands that came out of Adelaide it would be nice if we could set up some sort of museum to showcase SA music, film and performing arts (ala ACMI in Melbourne). Most of our performing arts collection seems to be locked/hidden away in the Festival Theatre, and I'm certain the SA Film Corp has lots of stuff from when we led the Aussie film revival in the 70s.

Daisy was Adelaide's Molly Meldrum. He must have been 19 or 20 when he started. I reckon I was about 13 when I started listening to him every night on 5KA. Like Molly he was a genuine music fan who pushed the music first before taking the kick backs from the record company. Also like Molly he liked to party with musical artists, be they local , national or international with both alcohol and I suspect chemical substances.

About 10 years ago I got a pleasant surprise when I would come home for Christmas for a week or two from Sydney and ABC 891 would have fill in DJ's over the Christmas break and those guys from the tailed end of AM music radio who became the pioneers of FM - Vinnie, Grant Cameron, Daisy etc. Daisy didnt have that classic deep mellow DJ voice but he had a smooth voice that was just right for his program.

I remember the name, but I don't remember listening to KA, only AD. There was a Top 40 list by AD every week you could pick up free from record shops, Bazz and Pilko in the mornings and I'm pretty sure KA went country just before I left Adelaide about 1980. But I'm sure I remember a Daisy coming to our school on a promotional gig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back