RIP Madeleine Riewoldt

This is just awful.
I expect that Nick and family will need some time to recover from this tragedy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

It is especially warming to see posters of other clubs acknowledge the loss and share their sympathy

:hearts:

647539_thumb.jpg

203478-nick-riewoldt-and-sister.jpg

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
condolences to the Riewoldt family and friends

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
RIP Madeleine.

Extremely sad news of a tragic passing while so young. Some people are just brave beyond belief. Best wishes to all the family.

This is just so sad.

I've found myself thinking about it all day. I found myself thinking, is it strange to grieve for someone I don't know personally? More directly, is is strange to grieve for the sister of someone I don't know personally?

But of course it's not. As supporters of a club we have a huge investment in our team and in our players. We ride the journey with them. For them, football is their job. For us, football is our escape. But every now and then a story comes along which helps you to remember that there is so much more going on in these guys' lives. I've heard, like most of us have, about the battle that Madeline faced. But I read that news and my heart just sank. For Nick, for the family, for everyone that knew her.

In general, my heart sank because it just sucks. That may sound like a shallow word, but it bloody sucks. That any 26 year old woman has her life taken. That any 26 year old woman has spent the best years of her life in hospital or ill.

As supporters, we have been inspired by Nick Riewoldt. His teammates have been inspired by him. But his inspiration was his sister and the doctors that kept her and others alive. That puts things into perspective. We see Nick's courage when he flies back for a mark but imagine the courage he saw in his sister.

I didn't know her, I don't know Nick, but today I felt like I did. It sucks.

35Saints35

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is just so sad.

I've found myself thinking about it all day. I found myself thinking, is it strange to grieve for someone I don't know personally? More directly, is is strange to grieve for the sister of someone I don't know personally?

But of course it's not. As supporters of a club we have a huge investment in our team and in our players. We ride the journey with them. For them, football is their job. For us, football is our escape. But every now and then a story comes along which helps you to remember that there is so much more going on in these guys' lives. I've heard, like most of us have, about the battle that Madeline faced. But I read that news and my heart just sank. For Nick, for the family, for everyone that knew her.

In general, my heart sank because it just sucks. That may sound like a shallow word, but it bloody sucks. That any 26 year old woman has her life taken. That any 26 year old woman has spent the best years of her life in hospital or ill.

As supporters, we have been inspired by Nick Riewoldt. His teammates have been inspired by him. But his inspiration was his sister and the doctors that kept her and others alive. That puts things into perspective. We see Nick's courage when he flies back for a mark but imagine the courage he saw in his sister.

Top post man

Superduperouzel

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
Germany
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Pauli FC, Hibernian FC
This is just so sad.

You´ve put this into words so well mate. It´s heart breaking. Every time I read something about this in the papers or this forum I am feeling so sad and so sorry for this young lady. It´s just not fair. Condolences to Nick and his family. RIP Madeline

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...ondition-aged-26/story-fni0fit3-1227236849033

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt’s sister Madeleine dies of rare bone marrow condition aged 26

NICK Riewoldt’s wife has made an emotional tribute to his sister, Madeleine, who died yesterday at the age of 26 from a rare medical condition.
Catherine Riewoldt, who was born in Texas, took to Instagram to thank Maddie “for being my Aussie sister, for driving around listening to Tswift and country music with me, for teaching me every possible fact about the AFL and for giving my husband the inspiration to live his life to the fullest every day”.

She also wrote that no words “can sum up the beautiful courageous person that was my sister-in-law”.

“You had more humorous wit, attitude and loyalty than anyone I’ve met. You loved your family with all your being and fought with them by your side every step of the way. You never gave up and your fighting spirit was there until the end.”

-/-/-

My condolences.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...ondition-aged-26/story-fni0fit3-1227236849033

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt’s sister Madeleine dies of rare bone marrow condition aged 26

NICK Riewoldt’s wife has made an emotional tribute to his sister, Madeleine, who died yesterday at the age of 26 from a rare medical condition.
Catherine Riewoldt, who was born in Texas, took to Instagram to thank Maddie “for being my Aussie sister, for driving around listening to Tswift and country music with me, for teaching me every possible fact about the AFL and for giving my husband the inspiration to live his life to the fullest every day”.

She also wrote that no words “can sum up the beautiful courageous person that was my sister-in-law”.

“You had more humorous wit, attitude and loyalty than anyone I’ve met. You loved your family with all your being and fought with them by your side every step of the way. You never gave up and your fighting spirit was there until the end.”

-/-/-

View attachment 111871

very beautiful words

Only just heard about this. Horrible news. Makes you realise that every day is a gift. Even the seemingly shitty ones. Condolences to the family.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
This is just so sad.

I 100% know what you mean, I felt that with Phil Hughes for a fair while. John McCarthy as well though not as much as I was more invested in Hughes.

Having been aware of Madeleine's battle for at least a year (I can't really remember how long) and knowing how much she meant to Nick, it is very sad hearing she lost this battle. Like everyone else, was really hoping she'd beat it.

Don't know much about it, but seems like a terrible disease.

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I 100% know what you mean, I felt that with Phil Hughes for a fair while. John McCarthy as well though not as much as I was more invested in Hughes.

Don't know much about it, but seems like a terrible disease.
I lost a cousin last year and he fought it for 10years to no avail.
Had the best care available at the same hospital as Maddy.
Just hope the very clever people will come up with some treatment.

Bonzfooty

Debutant
Apr 2, 2014
Doveton
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds FC , Philly 76ers
Horrible disease that doesn't discriminate against who's life it touches,
lost my mum to a form of cancer although not as rare as Maddy's I am sure she will be a loss to the footy community as a whole and it's touching to see the best wishes from supporters of other teams not just our own, Condolences to Nick and the extended family.

Axcellence

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Surprise!
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...376?from=google_rss&google_editors_picks=true

It’s time for us to fight like Maddie
  • By: Mark Robinson
Nick Riewoldt is renowned for his courage, but he’ll never be as courageous as his sister. Maddie, 26, died in February of aplastic anaemia after a five-year battle. Today, Nick opens up for the first time to about his sister’s bravery, the agony of her loss and what he is doing to help ensure her fighting spirit never dies.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...376?from=google_rss&google_editors_picks=true

It’s time for us to fight like Maddie
  • By: Mark Robinson
Nick Riewoldt is renowned for his courage, but he’ll never be as courageous as his sister. Maddie, 26, died in February of aplastic anaemia after a five-year battle. Today, Nick opens up for the first time to about his sister’s bravery, the agony of her loss and what he is doing to help ensure her fighting spirit never dies.
Good article, very well done I thought
Damn near made me cry sitting here at work

Back