RIP: Obituaries, memorials and things like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Al Feldstein, former editor in chief of mad magazine has died aged 88.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/30/showbiz/mad-magazine-editor-dies/

PresidentAlfred.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be in Sydney from 1959 to 1966 and subsequently saw him play on numerous occasions at club level, City v Country and tests.
He was a member of The Australian team that toured England in 1963 and was a vital player in finally putting England/Great Britain in their place where they have mostly remained. That 1963 tour is regarded as the watershed team and one of the greatest to tour England. Had so many all time greats. Raper, Irvine, Langlands and so many more. His career ended in France with a broken leg in 1967 in a minor game with a crowd of about 100 following a cruciate ligament knee injury in1966. He played in 7 (yes 7) Premierships. The best Rugby League player I have seen and probably the third best footballer I have seen.

Somewhere there is a photo of a despondent Gasnier sitting alone in a French Stand watching a game. One of the saddest photos you would ever see.

Inglis is a draft horse compared to Gasnier.

827811-2ebe535c-d904-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

826340-6f3b7748-d904-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

Raper and Gasnier Embracing after the 1963 grand final.
828384-385e11e0-d904-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

I am just about positive that the English player is renowned England hard man Rocky Turner no doubt getting ready to put on a coat hanger.

827642-77963d6a-d904-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

RIP Malik Bendjelloul - Swedish director died aged 36.

Swedish director Malik Bendjelloul spent several years and all his money to make a moving documentary about an American singer, Sixto Rodriguez, who was unknown in the U.S. yet somehow became a legend in South Africa.

The strange twist was that for decades Rodriguez worked as an impoverished laborer in Detroit and had no clue that he was an icon on another continent. And his rabid South African fans mistakenly believed a rumor that he had died many years earlier.

Bendjelloul's film, Searching for Sugar Man, won the Oscar for best documentary in 2013. And his work in making the film helped Rodriguez discover and connect with his South African fans, who were astonished to learn Rodriguez was still among the living.

A series of sold-out Rodriguez concerts in South Africa provided a touching ending that seemed almost too good to be true.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140514

If you haven't seen this movie/documentary -- do it.

Sir Jack Brabham passed away this morning, aged 88. Not only a legend of motorsport in Australia, but the world.

I was at the F1 GP this year, and spent some time at the collection of cars that he drove on display. It was scary to think how dangerous it would have been racing in some them.

Sir Jack Brabham passed away this morning, aged 88. Not only a legend of motorsport in Australia, but the world.

I was at the F1 GP this year, and spent some time at the collection of cars that he drove on display. It was scary to think how dangerous it would have been racing in some them.

What a legend.

RIP Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Malik Bendjelloul - Swedish director died aged 36.

Swedish director Malik Bendjelloul spent several years and all his money to make a moving documentary about an American singer, Sixto Rodriguez, who was unknown in the U.S. yet somehow became a legend in South Africa.

The strange twist was that for decades Rodriguez worked as an impoverished laborer in Detroit and had no clue that he was an icon on another continent. And his rabid South African fans mistakenly believed a rumor that he had died many years earlier.

Bendjelloul's film, Searching for Sugar Man, won the Oscar for best documentary in 2013. And his work in making the film helped Rodriguez discover and connect with his South African fans, who were astonished to learn Rodriguez was still among the living.

A series of sold-out Rodriguez concerts in South Africa provided a touching ending that seemed almost too good to be true.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140514

If you haven't seen this movie/documentary -- do it.

It's a good watch.

Didn;t realise how young the director was.

RIP CHester Nez, the last of the Najavo Code Talkers during WW2.

"The last member of this team, Chester, died today at the age of 93. Nez was among the first Navajo men to join the program. The Los Angeles Times reports:

In his memoirs, Nez said he knew he made the right decision to join the fight.

“I reminded myself that my Navajo people had always been warriors, protectors," he said. "In that there was honor. I would concentrate on being a warrior, on protecting my homeland. Within hours, whether in harmony or not, I knew I would join my fellow Marines in the fight."

The code, which they had to memorize, was based on a system in which the Navajos used their own words to substitute for the 26 letters in the English alphabet. For example, the word "wol-la-chee" means "ant" and it might have stood for the letter A in a coded message.

Because the Navajos had no words applicable to modern warfare, they settled on hundreds of descriptive words in their own language.

A tank was a tortoise; a submarine, an iron fish; a dive bomber, a chicken hawk; a grenade, a potato; a battleship, a whale. Bombs were eggs, and the commanding general a war chief."

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/06/04/RIP-The-Last-of-the-Navajo-Code-Talkers/#!VgKyd

Fascinating story.

Vale Gary Gilmour. Personified cricket in the 70's
Just 62 and recently lost his son at 33 to brain cancer. Very sad for the family.

Saw that today. Quite the day for deaths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back