RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Never stop telling your loved ones how much you care for them. If you've had a falling out with someone (particularly over a trivial issue), don't be too proud to try and reconcile. If someone you know is doing it tough- get in contact with them and offer your support.
Life is short, and precious.

Sorry but seriously… WTF AFL

This is tragic emotional day for the industry

I think they could be a bit more sensitive on their website. Seems very blunt

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg

Never stop telling your loved ones how much you care for them. If you've had a falling out with someone (particularly over a trivial issue), don't be too proud to try and reconcile. If someone you know is doing it tough- get in contact with them and offer your support.
Life is short, and precious.

Phil Walsh was trying to reconcile.

I certainly wouldn't be able to play this weekend if I was a Crows player, the players aren't soulless robots, Phil was well liked a nd admired by the players of Adelaide, they would be doing it extremely tough right now.

What a tragic year its been for Australian sport, losing Phillip Hughes, and now Phil Walsh.

I trust and assume there will be a one minutes silence at all games this weekend ?

Whatever choice the AFL and the Crows decide to make in terms of playing. I will respect it either way, you can understand players not wanting to play and you can understand those that want to try and get up for Walshy.

Yeah except that those that don't go to work the day after someone closed to them has passed is limited to a small number.

In the AFL there are 1000's of people involved, do you seriously propose that every time something tragic happens to a player or a beloved figure in the game then we should be cancelling games or rounds?

Think of it in terms of a big organisations, would a huge company that employs thousands of workers in many different departments cancel work for the day when one of its employers is cut down by tragedy in their private lives? No they wouldn't, they might if that employee was murdered during work hours, but they don't definitely cancel work for the day of an employee was murdered in their private life.

Same with AFL, Walsh was cut down at home in his private life, why should AFL cease for as week every time someone involved in AFL has a tragic event in their private life.

So what if over half the list at a previous club, such as Port Adelaide where was affiliated with for over a decade, decide not to play. They would be unable to field a side and would have to forfeit. What if West Coast follows suit. Along with Adelaide that's potentially three games that wouldn't go ahead for legitimate reasons, those being that people who had been very close to Walsh are mourning his death. Football players are people, not robots. It's legitimate to question this, Warren Tredrea was close to Walsh and has stated he can't see how affected players will be able to take the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg
You'd swear the AFL site is run by 15 year olds sometimes. I mean WTF is that.

Phil_Walsh_Dead-v4.jpg

Disgraceful. Saw on Twitter a 'journalist' post photos of players leaving counselling sessions. Makes my blood ******* boil.

Not as bad as the Herald Sun who had a big "MURDERED" on the front page. Very poor taste.
I would have thought "TRAGEDY" or something would be better if they're gonna do the whole big capital letter thing

Sad state of affairs with journalism etc these days.

EDIT: Thankfully it looks like they've changed the AFL site headliners.

I agree. Phil Walsh is now dead. While everyone who knew and loved him would want to honour him that doesn't mean they are capable of that right now.

As harsh as it sounds life is about the living. We need to think about their feelings and capabilities. Phil Walsh no longer has wants and desires. I hope when I die my loved ones do what they need to do.

Absolutely! Whilst I'm sure Walsh would've wanted the game to go on, it's the players and staff that need the support so I doubt that playing so soon after the event would be a high priority

I thought initially it must have been a suburban coach in Adelaide, and when I was told it was the Adelaide Coach I queried it , doubted it.

Took a while to digest it tbh.

No I think why? But said situation and too young, just when he was breaking out in the AFL arena.
To be cut down like that is not good at all.

Terrible circumstances and wish everybody the best over there as they try to recover

Awful for his wife and daughter, they lost a husband/father and a son/brother in the same incident. Presumably his wife witnessed the whole thing. It is utterly incomprehensible how one could deal with such tragedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back