RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

From our 2004 coaching group - 2 dead, one in his mid 40's, the other in his mid 50's, Choco diagnosed with cancer last year. Geez I hope the rest avoid this until they hit at least the average life expectancy age. They should all have beeen there for 20, 25, 30 and even 40 year reunions at the least, but sadly not so.

From our 2004 coaching group - 2 dead, one in his mid 40's, the other in his mid 50's, Choco diagnosed with cancer last year. Geez I hope the rest avoid this until they hit at least the average life expectancy age. They should all have beeen there for 20, 25, 30 and even 40 year reunions at the least, but sadly not so.
I feel like Port people have been struck disproportionately with tragedy. Anthony, McCarthy, Bailey and now Walsh.

Obviously the Crows will play football again, I just wish that they also abandon next weeks game against the Eagles and play the Power the following week.

I do believe the healing process would be immeasurable playing not only a SA team at AO, but also the team that Phil Walsh loved as well. In any case, that will be up to the players and officials to decide.

where does all the grieving and puting life on hold end though?, it's extremely hard for the Adelaide players and the AFC to come up for this week hence the game declared a non starting draw.

Unfortunately not playing games for 1/2 points doesn't change the sad event and not diminishing the Adelaide grief losing a coach,mentor and friend with bonds formed in a short 9 months but do we extend the grief concessions to West coast who formed bonds over 5 years or Ports 10 year association , the loss, heartache and grieving isn't going to end any time soon, unfortunately for those left life has to continue, and with Walshy's character he wouldn't want it any other way

I feel like Port people have been struck disproportionately with tragedy. Anthony, McCarthy, Bailey and now Walsh.
Melbourne have had their share since 2004, Troy Broadbridge, Sean Wight, Jim Stynes, Dean Bailey and Robbie Flower all spring to mind straight away.

I understand that and respect that. At my businesses, if an employee doesn't want to work for any reason (sick, grievance or simply doesn't feel like it) then they are free to decide without question.

what I can't understand is why others are making calls.

The AFL made the call because it has a duty of care for the players. The players are it's employees.

Pride, and an inability to swallow it, has led to many of us on this forum, myself included, to delude ourselves into believing we don't miss Phil Walsh from our coaches box. Clearly we do.
Poor, poor man.

After last nights performance I actually went to bed thinking what would it take to get Phil Walsh back asap. Woke up to the news, the shock was enough to give me the shakes and goose bumps.

I can't even watch or follow the media coverage. Being a father, the thought of a man who spent his life trying to get the best out of other people's young sons only to have that as a final experience is too much to comprehend.

Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

RIP Phil Walsh, never to be forgotten.

Kudos to KT and Kochie and the PAFC family on this sad day. All I can say is thanks. The respect shown is overwhelming and highlights that while fans of each club may hate each other that interclub internal friendships do exist and its heart warming to know that SA still comes first above and beyond the two clubs. We rally around each other in difficult times. I may have written comments about PAFC in the past but today you guys did prove what a great club you guys are and I will forever remember this day.

Kudos to KT and Kochie and the PAFC family on this sad day. All I can say is thanks. The respect shown is overwhelming and highlights that while fans of each club may hate each other that interclub internal friendships do exist and its heart warming to know that SA still comes first above and beyond the two clubs. We rally around each other in difficult times. I may have written comments about PAFC in the past but today you guys did prove what a great club you guys are and I will forever remember this day.
Fans of each club do not hate each other. We may loathe, disparage and disrespect the opposition club but every one of us have mates who are fans, supporters or employees of the other club and the banter doesn't diminish the mateship.

Pride, and an inability to swallow it, has led to many of us on this forum, myself included, to delude ourselves into believing we don't miss Phil Walsh from our coaches box. Clearly we do. I've been as guilty as anyone of mocking his style and unique way he delivers his message publicly but truth be told it was more about sour grapes at losing him than anything else. And to be honest, right now I'm missing his silly mannerisms and quirks. Poor, poor man.

I wasn't angry that he left for a senior coaching position, he was more then entitled to that. What I was angry about, and my sour grapes, was about him going to the Crows.
He would have been at the Crows for a long tenure as Hinkley would be with us for a long tenure, and it would have been magnificent I thought to see the two battle it out in the coaches boxes. I imagined that in the future it would be looked back upon for many defining moments for both men and both clubs.

Sitting back reflecting on one of the numbest days I can remember. What a massive loss and impact Phil's death will have on his family and the footy world. A lot has been said on BigFooty today about having perspective and "the game" not being the be all & end all. Posters from all teams leaving sincere platitudes on rival boards, even some of AFCs most, at times, vitriolic BF Crowies giving us concern when they're hurting the most. This community, like most in times of crisis, has banded together magnificently today.

The Walsh family is going through something that's about as bad as it gets right now. There is a numbness and disbelief that is reserved for violent death. Even though we've all been reacting throughout the day, perhaps like me you're now beginning to believe this terrible act has actually happened. The dust is starting to settle and for some of us it's the first time we've had to be alone and collect our thoughts.

Our football community has stood tall today. This board, the junior footy I was at tonight, the players, clubs, and even most of the media has navigated this together in a way people outside of footy maybe wouldn't of expected. For all our differences we all love this sport. Phil Walsh loved it. Let's try to remember this next time something about footy shits us.

Our deepest condolences go to Phil's family and closest friends, all the footy people he's touched and anyone affected by his life.

Vale Phil, thanks for all you gave.

4 year old Wylde jnr says to me this evening "Daddy did he go to heaven?"

WTF?? The **** do I respond to that ?? Took a big gulp and I just gave him a massive cuddle and told him we could go and watch Wreck it Ralph together.

I had to deal with similar tonight mate. My 6 year old was looking at an image of Phil on the TV tonight (after I'd shielded him from it as much as possible), and I said 'who's that mate?' He said 'Phil Walsh.' Then he said 'Did he die dad?'..... he could tell that something wasn't right after PW's image being on TV so much today. I said yes, but gave him a 6 yr olds version of what happened, how challenging. Then explained that we wouldn't be going to the game on Sunday as the players are 'a bit sad'.... Sheesh. Too much. That poor, poor bloke. Still can't fathom his last aware moments knowing he was about to die at the hands of his own son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have read through this thread and havent posted yet... not sure what words to say really

This is an unbelievable tragedy. Taking football and rivalry out of the equation, this is something we hear way too many times. Life can be cruel, unpredictable and shocking. How a human being can (let alone a son) kill someone just beggars belief but yet we hear about it all the time. Most of the time we hear it and dismiss it and get on with our day... why? Heinous violent crimes are so common that we are de-sensitised to it somewhat.

Today we lost a champion bloke, mentor, leader, mate, husband and a father who like everyone else who suffers this kind of fate, did not deserve it.

There has always been a bitter rivalry between Port and Adelaide bordering on nasty but if something like this cant bring us together then nothing will. My heartfelt condolences go out to all crows supporters as well as all of us port supporters. We have united and im bloody proud of it.

I too also think we should abandon the name "showdown" and go for something much more respectable. I think a joint march to the ground would also be appropriate as we join together to rememeber, and respect someone who has meant so much to both clubs

RIP Phil Walsh

where does all the grieving and puting life on hold end though?, it's extremely hard for the Adelaide players and the AFC to come up for this week hence the game declared a non starting draw.

Unfortunately not playing games for 1/2 points doesn't change the sad event and not diminishing the Adelaide grief losing a coach,mentor and friend with bonds formed in a short 9 months but do we extend the grief concessions to West coast who formed bonds over 5 years or Ports 10 year association , the loss, heartache and grieving isn't going to end any time soon, unfortunately for those left life has to continue, and with Walshy's character he wouldn't want it any other way

Good post mate. As Walshy recently respectfully said when Sloane went down, "Next man up!", I honestly believe he would want us to hold onto this philosophy.

Just wanted to pop in and say that the class and compassion the Port Adelaide family has shown to our club today has been humbling. Much respect to you all.

RIP Walshy.

I talk to other people about how much I 'hate' you. About how much I 'hate' your club and I use derogatory terms when I'm talking about your club and its fans. Moments like these make me realise how wrong I am.

I don't hate you. In a sick, strange way I love your club. I love the rivalry. At incredibly arduous moments like today I just plain love everything you stand for.

There is an enormous level of respect I possess towards the fan group. You are our brothers. We're passionate. We fight. We hate seeing you outperform us. But, when you genuinely hurt, we hurt and vice versa.

Today, we are united as one in our incredible grief. South Australia is unique in its tragic sporting history and the amount of sheer bad luck (particularly in recent times) that has befallen it. Many fans outside of Adelaide and its sporting teams wouldn't understand this without actually living through it.

Thank you for being Port Adelaide. Thank you for pushing us. At times like today, thank you for supporting us and grieving alongside us.

Last edited:
Fans of each club do not hate each other. We may loathe, disparage and disrespect the opposition club but every one of us have mates who are fans, supporters or employees of the other club and the banter doesn't diminish the mateship.

Good post. I like to think even before this tragic day, no one really hates each other. We love poking fun and cracking jokes at each other and each others players and teams but we are all South Australians and lovers of footy.

One thing I miss about State of Origin, is that we did unite as a state for these matches. Its sad it took something tragic to unite us again.

4 year old Wylde jnr says to me this evening "Daddy did he go to heaven?"

WTF?? The **** do I respond to that ?? Took a big gulp and I just gave him a massive cuddle and told him we could go and watch Wreck it Ralph together.
My boy saw me cry today and asked whats wrong daddy. *ing hard to do..

My boy saw me cry today and asked whats wrong daddy. ruddy hard to do..

How the hell do you explain to your son that he died because of his son. My heart also goes out to parents trying to explain the tragedy to the supporters who are just kids.

The AFL made the right call. Some player may have been ok but fatigue, pressure, emotion could have made something snap for some players. No matter how strong their minds would be wrecked. For those who have lost close friends or family you know it takes time. I cried at random times for months thinking of my mum. I definitely wouldn't have been right to do anything. Yes it's my mum but if he was a father figure to some the emotions would be as strong.

How the hell do you explain to your son that he died because of his son. My heart also goes out to parents trying to explain the tragedy to the supporters who are just kids.

My two are too young to know or understand what football is, let alone this situation but I tell you what I gave them both the biggest bloody cuddle they've ever received tonight. I dont envy the thousands of parents having to explain this situation over the next few days.

My two are too young to know or understand what football is, let alone this situation but I tell you what I gave them both the biggest bloody cuddle they've ever received tonight. I dont envy the thousands of parents having to explain this situation over the next few days.

Im happy that you didnt have to explain the tragedy. ROO was on AFL360 tonight in an interview explaining that he had to tell his kids.

Yes you are 100% correct, how the hell do you explain this to kids that are too young to comprehend drugs/mental health issues (if that was the case), explaining death is bloody hard enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back