RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know Phil Walsh nor his family
Ive never spoken to Phil Walsh
I don't know any people that know Phil Walsh
I never heard of Phil Walsh until last year when he was appointed adelaide coach

But I woke up to this news in tears. He seemed like a genuine man with a love for the game and I'm In shock. This season will never be the same.

Whatever the reason, may his son get the justice and help he needs

I was gutted when I read that article and saw the news this morning.

Heartbreaking when he recognises weaknesses within his own family doings, put things in place to remedy and now this...gut wrenching
I don't mean to downplay what has happened, but in a way it would be more of a tragedy, if he hadn't had the chance to remedy things. Some don't have that chance, some don't take that chance, but at least he tried.

Article also resonates with me because of the bit about his Dad and war. Reminds me of my own brother who served in army for approx 9 years, who seems okay, but doesn't talk about his time there. I've taken the opportunity to let him know that I'm here if he ever wants to talk about it and I know I need to make more effort in some of my relationships.

That is very sad and be killed by your Son is even worse.

What it sounds like that his Son might of be a Drug Addict or has Mental Issues then?

I don't mean to downplay what has happened, but in a way it would be more of a tragedy, if he hadn't had the chance to remedy things. Some don't have that chance, some don't take that chance, but at least he tried.

Article also resonates with me because of the bit about his Dad and war. Reminds me of my own brother who served in army for approx 9 years, who seems okay, but doesn't talk about his time there. I've taken the opportunity to let him know that I'm here if he ever wants to talk about it and I know I need to make more effort in some of my relationships.
Service in warlike operations is a real tough one. I have family and good mates who I've served with that have experienced some awful things that no-one should and many are open and seem to cope well, other however not so. The persona of big burly men not being affected by such events is slowly being broken down and now its alright to cry and to seek help. This will if it hasn't already become a major issue for our country and major drain on funding as more people are treated for PTSD and other mental illnesses. I should say also it's not just attributed to events of war as many people suffer these illnesses from real life events. I had a good friend who was a paramedic and she was completely broken in one stage of her career but luckily received good support.

We really do need to be more aware of our friends and families and to look for the signs of things like depression and try to act quickly and seek help as things can and do go down hill very fast.

It's good to hear that you're there for your brother because sometimes those that should be, like Veterans Affairs just arent.

To brutally kill your own father and attack your mother you have issues.

Some said he has had Psychiatric Episodes. Why I don’t know but that would explain a lot what Happened then

Never forget watching his first game, came from nowhere and was a jet with Ricky Barham on the other wing, would have cleaned up the Rising star medal if there was such a thing back then - what would have life been like if not for the Collingwood & Richmond war in the early 80's

R.I.P Walshy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think there will be games this weekend. Maybe push back finals and reschedule rest of round?
Tragic loss, but the AFL cannot cancel the games (other than possibly the Adelaide game).

I bought tickets, accommodation and have hours to drive to get to the game tonight....

The AFl won't want to compensate people for their costs.

People die all the time, but industries don't just shut down and stop.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but life must go on.

Tragic loss, but the AFL cannot cancel the games (other than possibly the Adelaide game).

I bought tickets, accommodation and have hours to drive to get to the game tonight....

AFL did not Re-Schedule Games when McCarthy Dies in Las Vegas.

As you saw when we played that week it effected our player a hell of a lot

I would have though a realistic plan would be to mourn his passing with a minutes silence and black armbands at every game played this weekend.

Playing through grief isn't disrespectful, sometimes it can help relieve the pain for a few hours and help.

I fully expect the AFL to implement a fitting tribute without glossing over what is an absolute horrific tragedy.

Without preempting what may come out this afternoon, I would expect that both the Geelong FC and the AFL will put the ball in Adelaide's court regarding games going ahead this weekend.

AFC will need to assess the well being of their own players first and foremost as this would have a major affect on many individuals. You can't expect guys to just throw a pair of boots on and run out on Sunday after something tragic like this so close to home for them.

Life fortunately does go on but a game of football seems pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Well Collingwood went to McCarthy Funeral the Day before the PF in 2012 and then went to Sydney the same day and played the next night.

Crows might ask for a week off

Re Walsh. F*ing sad news. From what I have read he turned his life around after his accident in Peru but by that time his relationship with his son was already stuffed up. That in itself is already a hard price to pay, let alone the tragedy that has unfolded.
Re this round I doubt the AFL is going to cancel the whole playing round but Sunday's match vs Geelong should be out by all means.

Devastating event, seemed a well liked character after a long time involved in football.

Ex Magpie too:(

Can't imagine what this would do to the family dynamic and big sympathy to them on their tragic loss.

A sad day.

Yet saying a man who was stabbed to death by his son failed him is ok?

Speaking ill of the dead (as that is what is being done by that comment) is in my mind is poor form as he is not around to defend himself.
I was merely expressing how I would feel at that moment. I would feel that I have failed my son. its a tragedy anyway you look at it.

Whatever your view about whether this round goes ahead, time is quickly running out if they want to cancel tonight's game. Would understand either way

Whatever your view about whether this round goes ahead, time is quickly running out if they want to cancel tonight's game. Would understand either way

Didn’t Collingwood already say they are wanting to Play Tonight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back