Rise of the Machines - Ask an IT Question Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't say i've had experience with them, but i think you'll pretty much get what you pay for. Some are pretty cheap, but battery life will be poor, and really, it's pretty useless if it can't last the length of a movie before running out of juice. Get a price range in mind, find some models around the place in that bracket and do a bit of online research. should get a fair idea. Try view them instore if possible so you can get an idea on how the screen actually looks too. Some have a pathetic viewing angle.

Yes, generally post-soft drink spill.
It indeed was a spill(that Mrs Lace Out had trouble remembering:)) and had a quote for $140 to fix.Something didn't seem quite right about that number so in the end I got a keyboard sent from HK and installed it in about 4 minutes thanks to a you tube video.Total cost $18 :thumbsu:

It indeed was a spill(that Mrs Lace Out had trouble remembering:)) and had a quote for $140 to fix.Something didn't seem quite right about that number so in the end I got a keyboard sent from HK and installed it in about 4 minutes thanks to a you tube video.Total cost $18 :thumbsu:

The price seems highish, but probably reasonable once factoring in labour as well as parts (they'd probably be buying from the manufacturer, which would be $$$). Much like anything, it's much cheaper to do it yourself if you can put the time in.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_recover_sodaspill_disaster is a pretty good guide for future reference - the key parts are steps 3 and 4 (especially for a soft drink spill - it's the sugar from the soft drink that crystallizes on the board that makes it all sticky. A water spill is generally just able to be wiped up by comparison), but replacing the keyboard can be easier.

Hi boffins. :)

Mr and Mrs Ripper will shortly be thrusting ourselves into the world of iPaddery. As we're both IT know-nothings, thought this might be the spot to ask a question.

Now, we want to have the wifi connection thingy, but at the mo, all we have is your stock-standard adsl modem. What do we need to have to achieve stated aim? The simpler, the better is the preference.

Hi boffins. :)

Mr and Mrs Ripper will shortly be thrusting ourselves into the world of iPaddery. As we're both IT know-nothings, thought this might be the spot to ask a question.

Now, we want to have the wifi connection thingy, but at the mo, all we have is your stock-standard adsl modem. What do we need to have to achieve stated aim? The simpler, the better is the preference.

All you need is a wireless router to broadcast your existing ADSL internet connection wirelessly to your iPad.

Nothing flash required, something like this would do the trick.

Or, if you wanted to ditch your existing modem, you can get an integrated modem/wireless router like this.

Shouldn't be too difficult for you to set up with the help of Google (the important thing is to secure your connection). Pretty sure I live just around the corner from you though if you got into too much strife. ;)

You'll love having an iPad btw. I actually look forward to my commutes now.

IT question: who knew that reinstalling Windows 7 over the top of an existing install could wipe all the data and existing programs on the hard drive? News to me, didn't use to happen with Windows XP or other versions I've done it with. :confused:

How can I upload photos from iphone to pc.

Said pc(latest windows I think) isn't recognizing them.

Cyber beer for the best answer.

I'm assuming you're having issues with iTunes? You can always email them to yourself. I hate stuffing around with iTunes so I can't walk you through getting that one working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL app on my Ipad 1 required an update during last week and am unable to do it - I think due to the Ipad 1 not supporting the latest icloud version.

Currently getting nothing at all from the app,just keeps asking for it to be updated.

Anyone here sharing my pain ?

Surely I don't have to get a new Ipad ??

The hard drive on my laptop crapped itself over the weekend and there was some stuff that wasn't backed up on there that I wouldn't mind getting off it. Tried reseating it, but no dice. Anyone know of the cheapest way to attempt to retrieve files of a dodgy hard drive?

you can buy an external caddy (turns the drive into an external hdd) or a sata to usb cable will be fine and see if you can get it to boot. If nothing happens then the only way to retrieve the data is at a data recovery centre which is around $180 per hour and no guarantee.

I see both those items at my work:

Caddy (being a laptop the drive would only be 2.5inch ) - $13.20
Usb to sata cable - $13.20

Hey guys - bit of an enterprise IT question but local footy club in mind. I've just put name up to be on the committee for my son's footy club as the website guy (my aim fix the horrible menu structure for our site while helping out). One of the things that has popped up is for a push for merchandise to be sold online (we're having a big anniversary year this year).

Does anyone know of any low cost cloud or online ecommerce platforms suitable for a club to use? Requirements off the top of my head will need to be easy to maintain and allow pre-orders, I doubt there will be any ancillary inventory system beyond a spreadsheet somewhere so orders will need to get pointed at someone in the club. The club will not want to part with much of the profits so something non-profit friendly would be useful.

EDIT Of course this club has NO IT infrastructure so local hosting is out of the question.

Might be out of your price range Dave, but have you had a look at shopify?
Thanks Bob. A Facebook friend suggested it and I'll have a good look. I can put it up to the club and see what they say. I might try and dig out some figures on benefits for non-profits switching to online sales i.e. increased sales through convenience and impulse purchasing. Sadly the web platform we are on will do a terrible job of supporting it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Having some real trouble loading pages.

Using Safari, and Bigfooty is the main one where the top part of the page loads, and the rest takes an age to load.

Any ideas??

Thanks

I think you can do either (although I suspect, that what you buy through the shops these days is a sub code).
I have an Office subscription for home, $12 a month and I can install on 3 or 4 machines. Just requires you to have a Microsoft account. If you have a XBox Live or an old Hotmail account you can repurpose that.

You can often get a 12 month office 365 license for about $60 on sale from office works which gives you 4 installs and 1tb of One drive storage per account...

Also worth mentioning there is a University version of Office 365 that you can buy for $99. It's a 4 year subscription, and that single purchase gives you all forward updates from Microsoft, along with licensing to run on 2 PCs or Macs, as well as 2 tablets (iPad or otherwise), and 2 phones. I believe the caveat is you need to have a registered .edu.au address with a uni or tafe? But a very very good solution if you do.

Link: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/pdp/productID.260298000

edit: Or $89 from Officeworks. Win! http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...c-4-years-box-msr4t00195?searchTerm=office365

Remove this Banner Ad

Back