Preview Rnd 14 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Saturday 4th July 7.30pm @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but people carry on like he's kernahan mark II
No. People carry on about giving him a chance. Huge difference.

Except for that one run of 4-6 games he has only been played for a game at a time.
When played over a consecutive number of games, his performance improves and show potential to be a regular AFL quality KPP.
Has performed consistently in the VFL.
With his contract up this year, people simply want to know if he could make it.
You do not throw away a young KPP with out doing due diligence.

# No Carlton player was maligned in the writing of this post #

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the way. Bring out the big terms.

Pretty sure many had Laidler as a list clogger and he didn't perform half as well as Watson had in the front half of the NB side.....but he may have a Premiership medal around his neck, this year.

So, Watson is highly unlikely to be at the CFC after this year but have you seen how much effort he's put in for himself and his team-mates?
No you haven't have you? Just want to pull out the big hitting terms. You didn't mention the size of his head just for good fun and a :)

The argument that "Oh dear, we made a mistake in delisting Laidler. We must never make that mistake again" is, if you will excuse the extra big term, a non sequitur.

As it happens I am sure you know I regarded the treatment of Laidler as demonstrable proof that MM was a has been. I have always applauded MM for his treatment of Watson (and I was not generally lavish in my praise of MM). I commend the Hawthorn v Carlton game last year for those needing reminding of Watson's ability in defence and, in the third quarter before being subbed off, up forward.

That you should apply illogicality with a call for me to recognise the effort he has put in (as if that were relevant if he doesn't have the talent), suggests your opinion is clouded by emotion. For the record I understand Watson has put in a huge effort, along with Jones, to try to kindle an AFL career. Good on him because if he does not succeed he won't leave wondering what if.

Finally, the implication in your post that I enjoy disparaging Watson is unfair. I don't. But posters asking what we have to lose by playing him for an extended period of time deserve an honest response. If we do delist him at the end of this year (as you seem to agree) then by any measure he will have been a list clogger and a dud. That will be so even if he goes and wins a Flag for the Lions next year and makes me look a fool, yet again.

Last edited:

The argument that "Oh dear, we made a mistake in delisting Laidler. We must never make that mistake again" is, if you will excuse the extra big term, a non sequitur.

As it happens I am sure you know I regarded the treatment of Laidler as demonstrable proof that MM was a has been. I have always applauded MM for his treatment of Watson (and I was not generally lavish in my praise of MM). I commend the Hawthorn v Carlton game last year for those needing reminding of Watson's ability in defence and, in the third quarter before being subbed off, up forward.

That you should apply illogicality with a call for me to recognise the effort he has put in (as if that were relevant if he doesn't have the talent), suggests your opinion is clouded by emotion. For the record I understand Watson has put in a huge effort, along with Jones, to try to kindle an AFL career. Good on him because if he does not succeed he won't leave wondering what if.

Finally, the implication in your post that I enjoy disparaging Watson is unfair. I don't. But posters asking what we have to lose by playing him for an extended period of time deserve an honest response. If we do delist him at the end of this year (as you then by any measure he will have been a list clogger and a dud. That will be so even if he goes and wins a Flag for the Lions next year and makes me look a fool, yet again.

Let it go Windy & back on topic!

Finally, the implication in your post that I enjoy disparaging Watson is unfair. I don't. But posters asking what we have to lose by playing him for an extended period of time deserve an honest response. If we do delist him at the end of this year (as you then by any measure he will have been a list clogger and a dud. That will be so even if he goes and wins a Flag for the Lions next year and makes me look a fool, yet again.

No it's not. It comes about through vision.....you know.....like having watched him almost every week he's played in the 2's.

He's been terrific at that level and the CFC chose to give him a 2 year contract in 2013.
The CFC have had players that couldn't really give a * but Watson, Ellard, White, Armfield and Carrazzo have worked their backsides off.
Other than White and possibly Armfield, the other guys won't be on the list next year............but they weren't list cloggers but many have been.

The next few weeks will prove interesting in the way we go about our duties.
Win tomorrow and some possible re-thinks may have to come about.
I think (think) that the CFC wanted to give some players a chance with the view of creating currency but who knows what may yet come about.
I do not think winning tomorrow changes anything much. We can't make the finals (except mathematically). We are playing the remainder of this season for pride and to see how good the playing group is to determine what we really need in the coming years to make us flag competitive.

I think this means we should play our best team each week but, where players are equal giving the youngster a go. For example when Carrots is fit he is easily best 22 so he would replace a youngster. No charity games for young players. So, whilst I hope Jaksch gets a game soon, not until he is banging on the door. Really like the two Blaines door-knocking and excited to see how they go. We certainly need outside mids/small forwards to step up.

We may not actually play this weekend depending on what happens

Would be extremely surprised to see the whole round called off. Logistical nightmare and unfair for every team except Sydney. Adelaide vs Geelong may be affected, but if I had to guess I reckon the Crows will rally together and want to play for their coach. Don't think anyone outside the club has the right to deny them that privilege if they want it.

Black armbands and a minute's silence at every other game, as it should be.

With all due respect to whats happened in Adelaide i'd be surprised if our game was cancelled.
You may be right. I just hear some talking about whether the round would be suspended.

But the whole round being suspended would be a logistical nightmare. We shall see I guess.

The atmosphere as a whole will be different I imagine.

As for our game itself, I am sad to see Doc out, but if he's needing time to get injuries right it's the best thing for him. Such a gun young player who gives his absolute all.

Like that we get both Blaines. I think Johnson has a bit to offer and may also really benefit from our run and gun gamestyle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for Whiley.

Hopefully he won't be relegated as a pure tagger this time and gets a genuine crack. Will need to think fast on his feet though, especially if he even gets caught out now and then in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back