Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 26th April 2014 @ Etihad 4.40pm - Team post #536

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually fairly confident in the ruck battle right now...the two WCE ruckman aren't really in that sort of intimidating form as they have been in the past. Some of Nic Nat's efforts have been poor lately, especially last week.

If Warnock continues with his form then we'll probably get first use.

I'm actually fairly confident in the ruck battle right now...the two WCE ruckman aren't really in that sort of intimidating form as they have been in the past. Some of Nic Nat's efforts have been poor lately, especially last week.

NicNat hurt himself against Geelong a couple of weeks ago, and I was actually surprised he played last week against Port.
Lycett is still so raw, and Cox isn't anywhere near the player he once was.

West Coast need to make sure they don't outsmart themselves by going too tall at Etihad. We've done this a couple of times and really lacked run late in the game.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-04-23/mick-we-have-options

Nick Graham played his role – he was an emergency the previous week and went back and played very well – so he’s certainly in our thoughts this week given that we need another midfielder,” Malthouse said.

“We thought that our goal scoring was pretty broad and we need to add to that. We’ve got players who have played pretty well in scoring, so they will come into contention, and we probably need another two backline players.”

Malthouse says Andrew McInnes, Josh Bootsma and Matthew Watson will all be considered, while Michael Jamison may be in line to return after missing Round 5 with a calf injury.

Buckley is a terrible ball user and decision maker. I don't care how much heart he has or his pace/speed. Regularly turns the ball over going down the middle during what should be an obvious switch. Sorry for the vent or yelling at a 'young player' but he's not ready.
:drunk:

In the "from the coach" mailout this week - Mick referred to players who "have played pretty well in scoring, so they will come into contention"....has to be one or two of Temay (4 against Williamstown), Johnson (2 against Frankston and 4 on the weekend against Footscray), Graham (couple goals in his last 2 VFL appearances) or Garlett one would expect.

He specifically mentioned Graham being in contention, and 2 defenders.

I'd expect the in's from that to be something like Graham, Johnson, McInnes (for Darling) and one of Jamison or Watson. Johnson coming in might push Hendo down back - not my preference personally, but might be required for this game.

In the "from the coach" mailout this week - Mick referred to players who "have played pretty well in scoring, so they will come into contention"....has to be one or two of Temay (4 against Williamstown), Johnson (2 against Frankston and 4 on the weekend against Footscray), Graham (couple goals in his last 2 VFL appearances) or Garlett one would expect.

He specifically mentioned Graham being in contention, and 2 defenders.

I'd expect the in's from that to be something like Graham, Johnson, McInnes (for Darling) and one of Jamison or Watson. Johnson coming in might push Hendo down back - not my preference personally, but might be required for this game.

Won't be Johnson. Still on the Rookie list.

Cant Rookies play 10 games or something like that, I remember Sam Dwyer last year played 10 for Collingwood and then couldn't play anymore. Also don't think we have elevated anyone for Kruezar who would be on the LTI list.

Cant be upgraded?

I thought Scotland and Cachia were the nominated rookies (because we are running a 38 and 6 split) - and we can nominate 2 more rookies because of Duigan being on the LTI for the season....and Kruezer now potentially being allowed to be an LTI given his 10-12 week foot injury.

Is this not correct?

Cant be upgraded?

I thought Scotland and Cachia were the nominated rookies (because we are running a 38 and 6 split) - and we can nominate 2 more rookies because of Duigan being on the LTI for the season....and Kruezer now potentially being allowed to be an LTI given his 10-12 week foot injury.

Is this not correct?
This is correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week was easily his best game of the season. 16 touches, most of them contested, and moved more freely than he has done for the past month or so.

Would be nice if he could take a mark at some point during the season though.

And you're right, our rucks as a whole have been well done on the output we're used to.

I'd like to see us bring Lycett (or maybe Sinclair) in and try to triple-team Warnock and run him off his legs, while also stretching your backline.

Last week was easily his best game of the season. 16 touches, most of them contested, and moved more freely than he has done for the past month or so.

And you're right, our rucks as a whole have been well done on the output we're used to.

I'd like to see us bring Lycett (or maybe Sinclair) in and try to triple-team Warnock and run him off his legs, while also stretching your backline.
Do your reckon he will get up this week? That hit to the ribs looked pretty nasty.

I'd love WCE to play 3 rucks. On the fast deck at Etihad, we'll just run them off their feet.

I would like to see that too. 3 ruckmen would mean you are down on midfield rotations especially with your rucks not in great form. Could work but on a small ground like Etihad they are more likely to get in each others way.

Do your reckon he will get up this week? That hit to the ribs looked pretty nasty.

He came back on so he should be OK as far as that hit went (touch wood). The bigger issue is his ongoing groin problems, but as I said he seemed to be moving pretty well on Saturday.

I'd love WCE to play 3 rucks. On the fast deck at Etihad, we'll just run them off their feet.

Naitanui (when fit) and Lycett aren't slow though, so that will be negated to an extent.

Plus we won't be putting Adam Selwood on Yarran this time :oops:

I would like to see that too. 3 ruckmen would mean you are down on midfield rotations especially with your rucks not in great form. Could work but on a small ground like Etihad they are more likely to get in each others way.

I've been advocating bringing in Lycett in place of Hill, who doesn't rotate through the middle (and gets in the key forwards' way just as much as Lycett would)

But Nicnat isn't that fit at the moment - so saying 'when fit' isn't really relevant to Saturday's game.

I'm looking forward to watching one of the most overrated players live.

would we consider sending White to Darling?

Jammo - JK

White - Darling

Rowe - Sinclair/NN

If Rowe is allowed to go to a resting Nic Nat then I'm going to turn on my heel and walk home. Absolute suicide.

Rowe is slow, doesn't possess a leap and his decision-making is not up to standard. The guy simply has to go.

Jamison, Watson and White need to become our first choice defensive trio. They provide us with a quality stopper, an attacking weapon and a third tall/swingman if required.

But Nicnat isn't that fit at the moment - so saying 'when fit' isn't really relevant to Saturday's game.

Thanks Shawry.

He certainly won't live up to his hype in his current condition. Didn't have a pre-season and is still a fair way off his best, even if he managed to shake off a few of the cobwebs last week.

Last time I saw NicNat live he took one of the best hangers I've ever seen. Luckily 1AW topped him.

Quality player when fit and great bloke.

Last time I saw NicNat live he took one of the best hangers I've ever seen. Luckily 1AW topped him.

Quality player when fit and great bloke.
Thanks Shawry.

He certainly won't live up to his hype in his current condition. Didn't have a pre-season and is still a fair way off his best, even if he managed to shake off a few of the cobwebs last week.

I was being facetious.

Last time I saw Nicnat live he nearly took mark of the year.

But there's no point qualifying comments about Nicnat for this week with 'if fit' because we know he isn't.

I was being facetious.

Last time I saw Nicnat live he nearly took mark of the year.

But there's no point qualifying comments about Nicnat for this week with 'if fit' because we know he isn't.

Haha, fair enough.

I know he's not fully fit and his timing's off but he's still amazingly quick for a 6'7" ruckman. It's just a question of sustaining that over four quarters which he hasn't been able to do, although last week was an improvement.

I'd say that we'd plan to sub off one of the rucks for some extra run in the last 40 minutes or so, but most weeks this season we haven't had that luxury due to guys like Hurn and Ellis getting injured in the first quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back