Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 26th April 2014 @ Etihad 4.40pm - Team post #536

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is Rowe is on the wrong side of 25 and he is probably not likely to improve in quite a few areas.

He has a dip though, which is full credit to him. He is a lesser skilled version of Brett Thornton, really.

It's a shame that Watson hasn't been able to get to the required level, because he's the one who should be keeping guys like Rowe out of the team.

Here's hoping Rowe has a terrific game on Saturday in any event.

The problem is Rowe is on the wrong side of 25 and he is probably not likely to improve in quite a few areas.

He has a dip though, which is full credit to him. He is a lesser skilled version of Brett Thornton, really.

It's a shame that Watson hasn't been able to get to the required level, because he's the one who should be keeping guys like Rowe out of the team.

Here's hoping Rowe has a terrific game on Saturday in any event.

This. Would love him to become a star defender, but he won't.

2014 is about building a team for the future and there's just no way he'll be in it, so playing him is a waste of time.

I'm still trying to understand the Rowe piece in this team. Having a go is one thing, but if you are not good enough I think that outweighs having a go. Watson got torn a new a-hole against Port but isn't that how young KPD learn their trade? Fletcher back in 1993 got punished hard by Sticks on more than one occasion, didn't stop him from playing and continuing to learn. I'm not saying Watson is a SOS in the making, but would rather see him playing a handful of games in the seniors than seeing Rowe, who definitely isn't a defender, down back trying to fill holes in the team.

Concerned if Jamo doesn't come in...WCE have dangerous forwards.

As for midfield, the loss of judd shouldn't impact us considering he hasn't played all season but Curnow will be a loss. McLean is the obvious addition for some muscle in the middle and definitely want Army back in this team.

Sounds like West Coast are bringing a debutant to replace Darren Glass in Jeremy McGovern who is the son of former swan/docker Andrew McGovern.

Waite or Hendo could take him to the cleaners if left one out.

I'm still trying to understand the Rowe piece in this team. Having a go is one thing, but if you are not good enough I think that outweighs having a go. Watson got torn a new a-hole against Port but isn't that how young KPD learn their trade? Fletcher back in 1993 got punished hard by Sticks on more than one occasion, didn't stop him from playing and continuing to learn. I'm not saying Watson is a SOS in the making, but would rather see him playing a handful of games in the seniors than seeing Rowe, who definitely isn't a defender, down back trying to fill holes in the team.

Concerned if Jamo doesn't come in...WCE have dangerous forwards.

As for midfield, the loss of judd shouldn't impact us considering he hasn't played all season but Curnow will be a loss. McLean is the obvious addition for some muscle in the middle and definitely want Army back in this team.

Rowe doesn't really look like an AFL footballer to me, but:

- Barry Hall reckons from his time training with him, including many one on ones, that he's very strong, and determined.

- Malthouse does raise certain players well beyond their natural capability - Rowe might just be one. He would be very coachable.

So, prepared to hold judgment for a half season, especially if it means Hendo can play forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please point out anywhere in my post where I said "DELIST" or have any crack about him not being a star?? I look forward to that or an admission of your complete lack of comprehension.

I never said you wanted him delisted, that was me trying to highlight how unfair your observations about him were. My point was: how can you be so critical of a guy for appearing to be a 'deer in the headlights' who has only played 17 games? I'd be willing to bet playing as a KPD is one of the hardest positions for an inexperienced player. It's no slight on him for not to be fully comfortable given he never really gets a string of games & is so inexperienced.

Watched the replay today, Rowe left his man to be the one extra in a lot of contests where we ended up winning the ball. He is doing a capable job in a difficult position without much support given the injuries and poor form in the defensive ranks. He can also go forward and pinch hit in the ruck, which makes him very versatile in the event of injuries or to create mismatches during a game.

Way too early to be calling time on his career, which is less than 20 games old. He is playing well enough to keep his spot and there are precious few other options banging down the door to take over, unless we take Henderson out of the forward line and lose our advantage there.

I cant see us bringing in Watson for this game..... Wouldn't expect too many changes other than the ones which are forced.
Outs: Judd, Curnow and Bell
Ins: Mclean or Graham, Jamo and either Robbo to provide grunt or Menzel for a bit of silk. I can also see Garlett getting a recall.

I can't say I've noticed Watson's poor decision making.

I guess that's because I don't have a target on his head and pot him at every opportunity.

He has just as bad decision making as Rowe.

And I love how people seem happy to bag experienced players but any criticism of a young player is taboo (not saying you directly but the general vibe)

Also, I haven't potted him since he was dropped ;)

He has just as bad decision making as Rowe.
Is this from the same place as your view that Buckley can't kick?

Bower, Browne, Davies and Joseph were poor decision makers. Still loved watching Emu play.

Watson isn't always quick to get the ball to boot, but he has vision and can spot up a target in another suburb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back