Analysis Road to 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
Hands up who's the tiniest bit worried that everyone sees billings as a lock to be an a grader and just assumes he's going to be a midfild gun?

(No? just me? I hope this is the anti jinx post now)

No I have that same feeling. Not convinced he'll be a fulltime midfield general, but am still fully expecting him to be a serious A-grade gun. But given where our list was/is, just having a guy of that class on the forward flank for the next ten years will be great, its not as if it wasn't a needed position anyway.

It seems everyone is a midfielder if they're not a KP or a Jack Lonie type. Everyone keeps telling me for example that Jimmy Webster is a mid, yet he's not played a single game there. Kid gets a nosebleed if he gets beyond the square.

More realistically, some guys aren't ever going to become mids, and it could actually stunt their development elsewhere to try and push them into it. Look what was happening with Savage, and see what he's doing now we've given him a more focused task.

Hands up who's the tiniest bit worried that everyone sees billings as a lock to be an a grader and just assumes he's going to be a midfild gun?

+1 here. raised the same thing on twitter before. people didnt like it

Give the boy a bit of a chance to get some continuity. He hasn't even matured into his body yet, and he's just off a 4-5 week layoff with a hammy. He'll come good, needs time. Don't you lot remember his game against the Eagles last year?

sure do

but i dont think he's one who can end up in the midfield and i dont think he's dangerous enough fwd. happy to be wrong

havent seen as much of him compared to you guys though. just my early thoughts

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I think if he can do a Robbie Gray type role, playing 65% of the time forward, and at AA level for 6 years through his prime, I'll be quite happy. And that seems more suited to his style; would hope for him having the sort of game where he's getting 17-18 possessions but 95% disposal efficiency, 8 i50s, couple goals. He seems very much a peripheral but classy player, not a "spine of the side" type.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Big call

On the tiny bit I've seen

Sinclair could possibly be better than all of them.

It's been since 2002/3 Dal and Ball have I seen a young player as composed clean and neat.

Billings reminds me of Nathan Brown... A nice player. Not a dominator. He may develop.

Acres will make it eventually... But yes, is a sloppy kick atm.

psychosaints

All Australian
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah, after tonight's game, I'm a little worried too mate.

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards

Billings reminds me so much of Ablett in his early years.

Obviously I don't think he's going to be as good as GAJ, but obvious class up forward, not a big enough tank to play mid yet but offers a heap.

It is annoying me that people are starting to get down on Jack due to Bonts doing so well.

I'm really keen on Jack getting (hopefully) an injury free run this season and continuing to develop that tank.

He has a knack of finding the footy and had 19 tonight despite seeming fairly quiet in a 12 goal loss.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
It is annoying me that people are starting to get down on Jack due to Bonts doing so well.

Just to be clear, for me anyway I'm not "down" on JB. I just don't see him being a fulltime mid.

And I agree on the Bont comparison; it was already known at draft time that Bont was a much more ready-to-go player. But his draft 'value' comes from how frequent those players are, and how much spark they bring to a lineup. Billings will be special, I just don't think he'll be a midfielder carrying the side, but that's not a big deal to me.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Just to be clear, for me anyway I'm not "down" on JB. I just don't see him being a fulltime mid.

And I agree on the Bont comparison; it was already known at draft time that Bont was a much more ready-to-go player. But his draft 'value' comes from how frequent those players are, and how much spark they bring to a lineup. Billings will be special, I just don't think he'll be a midfielder carrying the side, but that's not a big deal to me.
I agree with you and think Dunstan is much more that "mid who can carry a team" inside toughness. Yes, the Lenny Hayes factor, but it's quite a real thing. Billings is going to be the class like Dal Santo always was who was elite by foot and would send those hard battled clearances inside 50 for a shot on goal.

I think if he can do a Robbie Gray type role, playing 65% of the time forward, and at AA level for 6 years through his prime, I'll be quite happy. And that seems more suited to his style; would hope for him having the sort of game where he's getting 17-18 possessions but 95% disposal efficiency, 8 i50s, couple goals. He seems very much a peripheral but classy player, not a "spine of the side" type.
17-18 possessions is basically what he's doing now, that's almost saying he won't improve. We've barely scratched the surface of what he can do IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
17-18 possessions is basically what he's doing now, that's almost saying he won't improve. We've barely scratched the surface of what he can do IMO.

Agree.

I think he's going to be an absolute beast.

Couple years in the system and he has the potential to average 25+ and a goal.

He knows how to find the footy

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
sure do

but i dont think he's one who can end up in the midfield and i dont think he's dangerous enough fwd. happy to be wrong

Wow. I can't believe this post.

Here's a 19 year old kid who we picked up with pick 3, played 18 games, kicked 14 goals and you're already writing him off?

Personally - I haven't been this excited about a kid for a long long time.

This kid has played almost exclusively in losing sides and still makes an impact every time he plays.

He had 12 goal assists last season to go with his 14 goals.

Maybe we should ask West Coast if they thought he was dangerous last year when he had 25 touches @ 100%, kicked 3 goals set up another and took 8 marks ?

Or the Bombers, when in his second game when he had 19 touches @ 90%, took 7 marks, put it inside fifty 5 times, set up 2 goals and kicked 2 himself?

Then the last two weeks people have said he's been quiet...,

Coming off a hammy and limited preparation he comes in against the Suns and has 19 touches including 9 contested. Then tonight in a 74 point loss playing almost as an exclusive HFF, still manages to find the ball 19 times.

Seriously I've truly got no idea how you couldn't be seriously excited about this kid.

He is going to be a jet!

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
It's amazing how much our list has changed since 2012.

Out; Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Gram, Jones, Milne, Gwilt, McEvoy, Milera, Blake, Koschitzke, Stanley, Cripps, Maister, Polo, Ledger, Dunnell, Clarke, Peake

In (I think); Acres, Billings, Bruce, Curren (?), Delaney, Dunstan, H. Goddard, Hickey, Holmes, Lee, Lonie, Longer, Markworth, McCartin, McKenzie, Membery, Minchington, Murdoch, Payne, Pierce, Roberton, Saunders, Savage, Shenton, Templeton, Webster, Weller, White, Wright

I'm sure I'm missing a few on both lists.

* me we had an old list.

Amazing transformation in just 3 off-seasons.

psychosaints

All Australian
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't understand this.

We get done by 12 goals and the kid has 20 touches and now your worried.
Yes, I am. I'm be glad to be proven wrong and like I said in previous posts, I think he'll be good. The original comment was do you think he'll be a midfield gun. So what if he had 20 touches. schenider had 27 and some people are saying on here that he didn't play well.
I hope he does become a midfield gun.

psychosaints

All Australian
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wow. I can't believe this post.

Here's a 19 year old kid who we picked up with pick 3, played 18 games, kicked 14 goals and you're already writing him off?

Personally - I haven't been this excited about a kid for a long long time.

This kid has played almost exclusively in losing sides and still makes an impact every time he plays.

He had 12 goal assists last season to go with his 14 goals.

Maybe we should ask West Coast if they thought he was dangerous last year when he had 25 touches @ 100%, kicked 3 goals set up another and took 8 marks ?

Or the Bombers, when in his second game when he had 19 touches @ 90%, took 7 marks, put it inside fifty 5 times, set up 2 goals and kicked 2 himself?

Then the last two weeks people have said he's been quiet...,

Coming off a hammy and limited preparation he comes in against the Suns and has 19 touches including 9 contested. Then tonight in a 74 point loss playing almost as an exclusive HFF, still manages to find the ball 19 times.

Seriously I've truly got no idea how you couldn't be seriously excited about this kid.

He is going to be a jet!
It's not a write off, just because some one says he may not turn out as good as they thought and yes, maybe some have gone early on the call but isn't this what social medias about? To have your opinion.
Yours is noted and all saints supporters would hope you are right. I know I do.
For you to claim "he'll be a jet" so early and then query someone else's opinion is a little hypocritical mate.

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
I don't understand how me saying "he's gonna be a jet" is hypocritical at all.

IMO he is already a very important player for us. Watched him a lot as a junior and was rapt that we got him.

Closest thing to GAJ that's come through the draft in years. Not saying he'll be as good as GAJ but he has similar characteristics.

Keen for him to continue to develop his tank and become a Mid-Fwd rather than a Fwd-Mid.

King Bont

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I have to disagree that Bont was a "ready to go player" he was very raw coming out of under 18s!

Dont worry, not here to troll. As soon as billings gets his fitness up hopefully he will be able to take his game to the next level
We realise your not trolling it's just no one wants you here on our board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back