Universal Love Robbie Gray appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/brownlow-medal/predictor

The AFL website has put up their Brownlow predictor. To Round 22 they have Robbie on 17 votes. 5 behind Selwood and Ablett in the lead.

I think they're a bit harsh on Robbie during our losses - no votes for the Sydney game where we lost by less than a goal? He was voted best on ground by the coaches I believe. (edit: second best behind Buddy maybe?)

No votes against Essendon where we lost by 2 points and he picked up 30 touches and a goal?

Should be interesting for sure.

up to round 22, these are the votes that gray has thus far

from that, I'm imagining that gray will end up with around 16-20 votes. Lots of games with only 6&7 votes- considering there are two teams on the park, there may be many games where he doesn't get votes from the umpires. Will still be our highest vote getter though.

taking out all the games where he got <7 votes:

I keep getting around 17-18 brownlow votes when I assign 3,2,1 votes to his standout performances. Looks like he'll need a certain 3 vote performance against freo if he wants to be in real contention for the brownlow.

What a star! Lets hope he can finish the season with a bang and really put himself in contention for the Brownlow as well

up to round 22, these are the votes that gray has thus far

from that, I'm imagining that gray will end up with around 16-20 votes. Lots of games with only 6&7 votes- considering there are two teams on the park, there may be many games where he doesn't get votes from the umpires. Will still be our highest vote getter though.

taking out all the games where he got <7 votes:

I keep getting around 17-18 brownlow votes when I assign 3,2,1 votes to his standout performances. Looks like he'll need a certain 3 vote performance against freo if he wants to be in real contention for the brownlow.

Dont get mislead too much by the actual number tho'.

From the coaches voting Robbie has polled 5 best on grounds (or equal BOGs), 4 2nds (or equal 2nds) and 3 3rd bests (or equal 3rds).

But who really knows with the umps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Robbie. Wonderful reward for a stellar year

I think they're a bit harsh on Robbie during our losses - no votes for the Sydney game where we lost by less than a goal? He was voted best on ground by the coaches I believe. (edit: second best behind Buddy maybe?)

No votes against Essendon where we lost by 2 points and he picked up 30 touches and a goal?

Not sure about the Sydney game. I do remember Brad Ebert played the best game of his career and had 40 touches. Robbie was arguably BOG in the return game at AO with 37 touches.

People likening him to Ablett... I reckon Gray has his very own unique style. Not saying it's better or worst, just different. I love the one handed plays he does!

It's a byproduct of this current generation of footballers growing up having basketball as their second, or sometimes even their first, sport, I think.

As others have aluded to Port have always in the AFL had the problem with Bronwlow votes of often not getting deserved votes in loses, but copping great opposition players (on the day) getting votes in our wins. The double whammy makes it hard to get to the number required.

I hope Gray can get their this year, but most of the umpires are Victorian and are immersed subsequently in the media group think of how wonderful their players are and forget about those elsewhere. We saw it back in 2004 with Tredrea.

Unless you're club is getting all the press (Brisbane in their run) or you're one of the rare outside Vic. media darlings (Voss, Ruccuito, Paul Kelly, Cousins, Judd etc.) you're pushing s**t uphill to get there. Gray has achieved 'brand name recognition' this year. If he backs it up next year I'd say he's a real chance then, but can't see it happening this year. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong!

Youre spot on ...for robbie to win he has to pick up votes in our losses...

But he does do flashy stuff that umps remember....well I hope so thats what my ozbet account is banking on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back