Robbo's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering he's picked 3 key forwards in his top ten. Last years best lockout defender was Talia. He was judged 39th by this thing.

How in living hell could anyone make a case for Wells being in any Top 50 ?
Zorko ?
Hartlett ?
WTF

I don't think those are contentious suggestions at all? There are many better but they're all gun players.

ITT: People getting upset about a predictive top 50 when guys are missing half a season minimum (Hanley, Libba).

Say what you like about Robbo, at least he can read. I think?

I'm sorry to post in this manner (I suspect many will), but Alex Rance is the premier key back in the competition IMO.

He's the complete package... defensively he's everywhere, and he provides run and attacks cleanly.

By the end of 2015 he'll be considered a top 15 player in the comp in the mould of a Darren Glass IMO. Robbo didn't put him (or Jack) in the 50 o_O

ITT: People getting upset about a predictive top 50 when guys are missing half a season minimum (Hanley, Libba).

Say what you like about Robbo, at least he can read. I think?

On 360, Robbo said it was his best 50 players 'right now'. Not predictive. But then he left out injured players o_O What a bozzo.

As far as Hawks go, I can't complain much! Though, I still think Burgoyne is criminally underrated! Gibson ahead of Taylor is a bit of a stretch too. Taylor is easily the best defender in the league.

Like most people, would have Ablett above Buddy. Buddy a clear number 2 though.

Biggest 'What the ...' is Hawkins at 9! In no way is he top 10!

Yep agree.

Gibson should be around 25-30. Taylor is the best defender imo also, would absolutely love him at Hawthorn.

As you said, Burgoyne should be higher (around 20).

I reckon he'd be close, yeah.

Richmond was not at any point even slightly close to being a top 4 team last year.

Richmond finished the second half of the season 9-2, including away wins at Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast, and home wins against other finals contenders Port and Essendon. That's actually top 3 form - an equal W/L ratio with Hawthorn (9-2) and Sydney (9-2).

First half of the season Richmond were 3-8 ... maybe not quite bottom 4 form, but when you lose to Melbourne, Gold Coast and Western Bulldogs it's not far off.

Pretty straightforward and conclusive I'd have thought.

Richmond finished the second half of the season 9-2, including away wins at Sydney, Adelaide and West Coast, and home wins against other finals contenders Port and Essendon. That's actually top 3 form - an equal W/L ratio with Hawthorn (9-2) and Sydney (9-2).

First half of the season Richmond were 3-8 ... maybe not quite bottom 4 form, but when you lose to Melbourne, Gold Coast and Western Bulldogs it's not far off.

Pretty straightforward and conclusive I'd have thought.

You can dress it up however you like really. The win over Port was quite impressive and the one against Adelaide was decent, but fluky. West Coast and Essendon completely rolled over for you and the Swans were very clearly only interested in making it through unscathed before finals. All in all it was a streak mostly against sides who were outside the eight - two of them were against the wooden spooner. The Tigers still need to lift their game significantly to be considered top 4 quality in my eyes.

You can dress it up however you like really. The win over Port was quite impressive and the one against Adelaide was decent, but fluky. West Coast and Essendon completely rolled over for you and the Swans were very clearly only interested in making it through unscathed before finals. All in all it was a streak mostly against sides who were outside the eight - two of them were against the wooden spooner. The Tigers still need to lift their game significantly to be considered top 4 quality in my eyes.

You don't fluke 9 wins in a row. Yes, anyone can look at an individual match and think one match is a fluke - but 9 in a row?

Only teams with a top 4 ceiling are capable of winning 9 in a row. Average clubs can't do it. They stuff it up somewhere along the line.

You don't fluke 9 wins in a row. Yes, anyone can look at an individual match and think one match is a fluke - but 9 in a row?

Only teams with a top 4 ceiling are capable of winning 9 in a row. Average clubs can't do it. They stuff it up somewhere along the line.

I didn't say 9 wins in a row was fluky, I said the Adelaide win was fluky. Yes, anyonce can look at an individual match and say it was a fluke, I agree - because that's exactly what I said.

How convenient that your definition of what a team with a top four ceiling can do revolves around exactly what your team recently did. For mine, until I see the Tigers in prelim final week, they remain a very, very, very, very long way from being considered genuine top four material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say 9 wins in a row was fluky, I said the Adelaide win was fluky. Yes, anyonce can look at an individual match and say it was a fluke, I agree - because that's exactly what I said.

How convenient that your definition of what a team with a top four ceiling can do revolves around exactly what your team recently did. For mine, until I see the Tigers in prelim final week, they remain a very, very, very, very long way from being considered genuine top four material.

You went through and said all 9 matches were no good for one reason or another (except you gave us Port). That's a stupid argument and I'm pointing it out. You're trying to downplay what was an incredible effort by a team that simply refused to drop a game to anyone for an extended period of time - something history says mediocre teams simply can't do.

You said the Tigers weren't 'even slightly close' to performing at the top 4 level, when you're blatantly wrong, and now you're trying to spin it into a different direction.

Tigers aren't there yet... but they're certainly close.

Alex Rance will be top 15 by the end of the year and Richmond will prove they're capable of producing some top 4 football.

You went through and said all 9 matches were no good for one reason or another (except you gave us Port). That's a stupid argument and I'm pointing it out. You're trying to downplay what was an incredible effort by a team that simply refused to drop a game to anyone for an extended period of time - something history says mediocre teams simply can't do.

You said the Tigers weren't 'even slightly close' to performing at the top 4 level, when you're blatantly wrong, and now you're trying to spin it into a different direction.

Tigers aren't there yet... but they're certainly close.

Alex Rance will be top 15 by the end of the year and Richmond will prove they're close to top 4.

Not really, I still stand by those statements 100%. I think it's fair to say a team that hasn't won a final in more than a decade is a long way off top four, regardless of any miracle streak from last year. I know Tigers fans are still pretty cheery on that but it was proven pretty conclusively in the first week of finals that the Tigers weren't up to that level yet. If you're not competitive in a final in the 5th-8th bracket, how close are you really to top four? Nine wins in a row is no small achievement but means little if you can't back it up in September.

I'll gladly recant if the Tigers are playing in prelim final week this year but I'm pretty confident I'm not going to have to do that.

What you're failing to take into account is that to be considered Top 4 you need to be better than at least 14 other teams. Over the course of the season, including week 1 of the finals, Richmond didn't fit that demand. But if you read what I've posted I clearly said that Richmond were "Top 4 when (Rance and Maric) were present", which was the case over the second half of 2014. During this time Richmond were better than 15 other teams, if winning games (including against fellow finals contenders on their own patch) is to be the major criteria, rather than just subjective contention.

As for the two wins against wooden spooners? Well, unfortunately they were who the Tigers were fixtured to play that particular week. It's ridiculous to use such opposition as a detraction from a very impressive winning streak. Richmond simply weren't afforded the luxury of playing St Kilda in the first half of the season.

During the last 9 weeks the Tigers form was irresistible, although it probably only became conspicuous to opposition supporters and media schnedleys when a finals place became a (very unlikely) about a month or so out from September.

And in no way did I use it as a predictor for future form, but merely in the context of stating the importance of Maric (and Rance) to the club's fortunes.

Richmond supporters are alway looking at some obscure stat or view point to make themselves relevant.

Here's a tip, if you want to be known as a force then show it on the ladder. Go and finish top 4 and win finals. That's the easiest way.

No use saying if Rance and Maric were present etc etc we were top 4 material last year, because the way I see it you got pumped in the finals. They are way off. And in 2015 you will need to excel in a different area. Improvement and change are the only constants to achieve consistent outperformance. Best to determine teams capabilities by their outputs, not if's and but's

Anyway, bit off topic

Not really, I still stand by those statements 100%. I think it's fair to say a team that hasn't won a final in more than a decade is a long way off top four, regardless of any miracle streak from last year. I know Tigers fans are still pretty cheery on that but it was proven pretty conclusively in the first week of finals that the Tigers weren't up to that level yet. If you're not competitive in a final in the 5th-8th bracket, how close are you really to top four? Nine wins in a row is no small achievement but means little if you can't back it up in September.

I'll gladly recant if the Tigers are playing in prelim final week this year but I'm pretty confident I'm not going to have to do that.

The Tigers' H&A winning streak has extended to 10 wins in a row and they will start the season in the Top 4. It requires a degree of luck for a club that's probably about 6th best to sustain it for an entire season, but it's not a stretch to say they've been a top 4 performing team for about half a season. Essendon have done this in the past, and the Kangas showed they're a top 4 team for a large chunk of 2014 (even when sitting outside the top 4).

Anyway let's get this thread back on track :D

Robbo is a moron for leaving out Rance and Riewoldt! And Heppell in the teens?! What a joke!

Dane Swan is going to make a fool out of a lot of people starting with Robbo.

5x AA in a row from 2009-2013 and has an injury impacted season in 2014 and suddenly he is not even in the top 50 players anymore? Lazy 31 touches in round 1, will only get better as the season goes on provided he stays fit.

How long does Mark Murphy maintain his current formline and still keep getting picked in these things?

If it's based on potential then he's definitely top 50 for me, but it's been a while since he played top 50 football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back