9. Dylan Roberton 14.6

3k time trial
1. Kallen Geary 9.43
2. Ryan Bastinac 10.03
3. Brayden Norris 10.05
=3. Kane Lucas 10.05
5. Dylan Roberton 10.13

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1153642/saints-pick-up-delisted-docker/

St Kilda has made former Fremantle defender Dylan Roberton the latest delisted free agent signing.

Roberton, who is 191 centimetres, managed 10 games for the Dockers this year, for a career tally of 37 over three years. Roberton's move to the Saints will be a homecoming of sorts, given he played junior footy at a local club in Frankston, near St Kilda's Seaford base. Roberton has been training with the Saints.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2012-12-18/dylan-roberton

“I got told at about 1pm on the Wednesday and I flew out on midday the next day.”

Roberton found that living with the team at Boulder’s Millenium hotel meant he got to know the Saints squad quicker than he would have otherwise.

Roberton had the perfect sounding board with his room mate, Adam Schneider, who like him had once moved from interstate to join the Saints.

Roberton has now set himself up with his partner and child in Langwarrin, with the Saints home base Linen House Centre five minutes up the road while his family home is a five-minute drive the other way.

(He) is a big advocate for the new free agency system “If a number of clubs are looking at you, you can pick the club that is the best fit."

Last edited by a moderator:

#17 - Dylan Roberton

DOB: 21/06/1991
Height: 194cm
Weight: 88kg
2013 Games: 20
Career Games: 57
333107-dylan-roberton.jpg

Dylan Roberton came to the Saints in the first Delisted Free Agency period adopted by the AFL at the end of the 2012 season. Originally picked up at Pick 49 by the Fremantle Dockers in 2009 Dylan managed 37 games over his 3 years at Fremantle but never managed to solidify his spot in the side. Becoming a father at the age of just 21, Dyl was prepared to put his AFL career on hold to move back to Victoria to take care of his young family. As history would have it, the boy from Frankston was picked up by the team based in Seaford.

Many had heard his name mentioned throughout trade week, however even when it was announced that he was training with St Kilda, many struggled to actually put a face to his name. The announcement of his signing had many Saints supporters in dismay. After struggling without a Full Back for the entire year we'd decided to complete our list for 2013 with yet another Half-Back Flanker.

However, some had hope that Dylan may be an inspired pick up. And while Sainter K chose not to continue her tradition this year of naming a fringe player to take the step up to the plate, she did have this to say:

I like this move...I think he could be something.

As it turns out, we should have listened. Dylan slid into our best 22 seamlessly and played all but 2 games due to injury. His underrated pace and composure was a blessing as well as his ability to step up to play a KPD role in a defence that was decimated by injury throughout the year. It was only a matter of weeks before Saints fans adored the #17 with long hair and a hair band that wasn't doing very good at its job sprinting off the half back line and hitting a target up field.

280988-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

2013 Stats:
Kicks: 10.3
Handballs: 6.7
Disposals: 17.0
Marks: 4.7

Dylan came to notice with a breakout game against GWS in Round 3. He notched up a career high 27 touches and looked at home playing off half back. He also showed he was no downhill skiier with his two other best games (23 and 21 touches respectively) coming in heavy defeats to Adelaide and Collingwood. He also had the 9th most bounces in the AFL (44) and ranked 15th in Rebound 50's (78 and St Kilda's highest).

For a player that was picked up via Delisted FA, and given not much of a chance by the supporter base. Dylan's first year at the Saints has been nothing but fantastic. He's been chalked into the CHB line for years to come and has no doubt earnt it with preliminary selection in the 'Under 22 All Australian' as well as notching up a Top 10 finish in the Saints B&F.

Aaaaaaaand I just thought I'd finish with this:

ROBERTON%20Dylan_draft_246_meeta.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-27/whos-ripping-it-up

Who's ripping it up? Which players are 'training the house down'

Jack Newnes has been a dominant performer on the track for the Saints this summer. :)

Defender Dylan Roberton is another who is impressing, with the former Fremantle backman adding size to his frame in a bid to fill more of a key position role next season after an ankle injury last pre-season affected the way his year panned out.

One thing about Bob: come hell or high water, he will give every last shred of himself to stay on the list. He will do whatever the coaches ask, give everything he's got, leave no stone unturned. This is his dream: to play footy close to home with his family. He really appreciates the gift that the Saints gave him in taking him in after the mess that was his time at Freo.

In a lot of ways, I see him as the new Blake on the list: not so much in terms of versatility or playing style. Just in terms of work ethic, dedication, etc.

One thing about Bob: come hell or high water, he will give every last shred of himself to stay on the list. He will do whatever the coaches ask, give everything he's got, leave no stone unturned. This is his dream: to play footy close to home with his family. He really appreciates the gift that the Saints gave him in taking him in after the mess that was his time at Freo.

In a lot of ways, I see him as the new Blake on the list: not so much in terms of versatility or playing style. Just in terms of work ethic, dedication, etc.
Im glad the work effort is there, hopefully he can regain the confidence he has lost since the ankle injury.

Just a few too many brain farts this year which was well down on his 2013 form but with his ankle back to working order I reckon he will bounce back.

We actually have a ton of "forgotten men" in our team: players that are actually pretty good when fit, but they were out last year (or longer) due to injury. Gears, Gilbert, Fisher (apart from late in the season), Bob, and to a lesser extent players like Lee and Hickey. Should be good if they remind people of how good they are in 2015.

We actually have a ton of "forgotten men" in our team: players that are actually pretty good when fit, but they were out last year (or longer) due to injury. Gears, Gilbert, Fisher (apart from late in the season), Bob, and to a lesser extent players like Lee and Hickey. Should be good if they remind people of how good they are in 2015.
If we have a full team for the whole year we would win 7-8 games at least. Its ridiculous how many injuries we had last year and how much it affected our performances.

Be nice if he can develop into a key defender, he has added 7 kg's he just needs to be able to hold his ground a lot better than he has in the past, as he has the speed and height etc...

Not sure about that. In 2013 he dominated as the clean up man, not necessarily the guy to bring the ball to ground in the back 50 but the guy to collect it and safely deliver it upfield. Really rated his decision making and disposal that year. He's shown he can be a high level AFL player in that role I don't think it's a good idea to give up on that after 1 poor season and try and make him into something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the idea of Roberton playing key position. If it happens then I think it's fair to say that Richo definitely wants his key defenders being able to rebound as well. Big thumbs up from me. :thumbsu:

Yep, if he bulks up enough to take Sam Fishers role after he retires then good luck to him.
2013 showed he had the smarts, agility an disposal efficiency to cut it.
More strength on top of that to not get muscled out would be a bonus.

Be nice if he can develop into a key defender, he has added 7 kg's he just needs to be able to hold his ground a lot better than he has in the past, as he has the speed and height etc...

7 this summer?

I don't mind the idea of him becoming a mobile 3rd rather than the mobile mid sizer, if that makes sense. Just think we will have better distributors such as Newnes, Webster, Savage and D Mac to be those playing on mid sizers, but a bit of size for him to ultimately become a mobile 3rd tall might help him find his spot.

Not sure we want him to bulk up too much. His strength was his line-breaking skills, rather than playing tight on his man defensively. I see him more as a Gilbert type than a Fisher. Not sure he has the one-on-one skills to be a true key position player, but I could be wrong.

Not sure we want him to bulk up too much. His strength was his line-breaking skills, rather than playing tight on his man defensively. I see him more as a Gilbert type than a Fisher. Not sure he has the one-on-one skills to be a true key position player, but I could be wrong.

Gilbert was still used as a KPD. I remember him taking kennedy in 2010 that was when we had fisher, Dawson, Dempster, Gwilt

Gilbert was still used as a KPD. I remember him taking kennedy in 2010 that was when we had fisher, Dawson, Dempster, Gwilt
Was taking Pavlich and co during the end of 2012 too.. definitely can match it with smaller mobile and power forwards. Give us an extra small at the back if he can play tall as well!

Yeah, he did have to take KPDs but he was definitely more suited to taking a third tall and using his pace and agility to give us some run in the back line. Similarly, Robbo matched up well against Darling a couple of years ago when we didn't have much choice, but his strengths still lie in his running ability, imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back