Roby's AFL Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't see why people are annoyed at Maric being so high. He's far and away the most important player in terms of keeping a strong Richmond. It's been shown how crap we are without him. I mean, who else do we have? Hampson? Tyrone? Bah, don't make me laugh. He's obviously not the best ruckman in the comp, but other teams at least have a serviceable backup.

I don't see why people are annoyed at Maric being so high. He's far and away the most important player in terms of keeping a strong Richmond. It's been shown how crap we are without him. I mean, who else do we have? Hampson? Tyrone? Bah, don't make me laugh. He's obviously not the best ruckman in the comp, but other teams at least have a serviceable backup.

I don't see why people are annoyed at anything here - it's roby ffs. It's like being annoyed at a drunken tramp rambling incoherently in the street.

Lots of people arguing their teams players should be higher and other teams players lower...

Wouldn't it be more desirable in this instance to have your own teams players ranked lower?

Your teams ranking is what it is and exists outside these player MVP rankings. If I'm not mistaken this simply shows which players your team relies on most. ie. Maric isn't a more valuable player in the league than Selwood, he's just a more valuable player for his team than Selwood is for his. Move players into different sides and I'd expect these scores would be different.

I'd personally prefer to not have any Hawthorn players in this list and be happy with the knowledge that my team relies on no single player to stay strong.

Yep, it's basically Maric/Mumford/Goldstein for importance (in my opinion). Freo have Clarke (and Griffin when fit) as back-up, Adelaide have Lowden/Jenkins (I think Lowden is a talented guy without opportunities and would rather Jenkins as a ruck/forward over Vickery), West Coast have Lycett...

And then Goldstein and Mumford are hard to place 'value' on, because Goldstein doesn't miss many games, and GWS are not yet at a stage where having Mumford or not dictates winning/losing (i.e. They lose most of the time regardless).

So you're left with Maric.

But better than Franklin? o_O

But better than Franklin? o_O
It's not Maric > Franklin.

It's Maric is more valuable for Richmond than Franklin is for Sydney. If Franklin played for Richmond then his score would be higher than it is now and Maric's would be lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essentially a VORP calculation?

I'm guessing giving Roughead's placement compared to Mitchell, it's also weighted by position, so is there a field used to determine a player's role?

Eg, is Roughead compared to say Anderson (23rd Hawk), or Schoenmakers (next 'KPF')?

Cyril ahead of Jimmy Bartel and Motlop not even on the list... #WaitingForAnAvalancheOfCrying

Yep, it's basically Maric/Mumford/Goldstein for importance (in my opinion). Freo have Clarke (and Griffin when fit) as back-up, Adelaide have Lowden/Jenkins (I think Lowden is a talented guy without opportunities and would rather Jenkins as a ruck/forward over Vickery), West Coast have Lycett...

And then Goldstein and Mumford are hard to place 'value' on, because Goldstein doesn't miss many games, and GWS are not yet at a stage where having Mumford or not dictates winning/losing (i.e. They lose most of the time regardless).

So you're left with Maric.

I disagree.

2014 GWS with Mumford: 6 wins 11 losses (35% wins)
2014 GWS without Mumford: 0 wins 5 losses (0% wins)

They beat the Bulldogs with Mumford, lost without him. He's a big deal for that young midfield.

Roby's analytic wizardry + individual AFL players! Finally!!!

250px-Nuts_and_Gum.png

#togetheratlast

I disagree.

2014 GWS with Mumford: 6 wins 11 losses (35% wins)
2014 GWS without Mumford: 0 wins 5 losses (0% wins)

They beat the Bulldogs with Mumford, lost without him. He's a big deal for that young midfield.

Thanks, that's interesting!

Definitely changes my opinion on the value of Mumford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back