Rocky and Hanley: tagging the elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Burke's other point is about lack of accountability - Stanley and Swallow were named GC's best and 4th best respectively based on their numbers but allowed their opponents to rack up 45+ possessions each. He calls out the media as well for being numbers obsessed and reckons he would prefer to see a midfielder get 25 and keep his opponent to 15 than both get 30.

Interesting stuff. That last bit might be a bit simplistic (eg if Crowley matches up on Daniel Rich then we'd be pretty happy for Rich and Crowley both to get 30!). It basically comes down to role. This notion of 'role' is really difficult for us supporters these days because we're not in the inner sanctum to know what a coach's expectations are. Traditional positions are largely obsolete and one on one match ups are often the same. You almost need to guess what the player's role is before you can judge how they have gone. I've heard stories of ruckmen being told their role is to physically batter their opponent so that the opponent couldn't have an influence around the ground.

It doesn't always happen but the AFLCA votes sometimes give a bit of insight into how a player has really performed, as measured against their role. It is often different to the "best" named in the match report.

Rocky beats Cotchin hands down. Fyfe is not a midfielder really but a very, very good player. Beast is an expression I would associate more with Dangerfield whom I reckon is the most damaging midfielder in the game. Beams is pretty good and there's that other guy from Collingwood who does OK. The mere fact that people in Victoria are now rating Rocky says a lot about his performance level, just some of us knew it already.

The thing that's really surprised me this year is his ability to continue to dominate in the midfield in the presence of a tagged. I've watched him closely in games and of the last 9/10 games he's had a guy run close with him. The North Melbourne game in particular he had Greenwood apply a Crowley like close tag. I rated that game one of Rocky's best with 28 genuine hard fought disposals with something like 20 of them contested.

I really think Rockliff does deserve to be mentioned alongside Dangerfield etc. Dangers best is better than Rockliff's, however Rockliff consistently plays at that level for majority of the season.

Also agree that Rich will be given more support when he returns.

Hanley's next 5 games you'd expect him to be closely tagged. He was beaten a few times earlier this season by taggers. He's got all the tools to be an untaggable player, just needs to realise this himself.

Pretty sure Roos didn't rate our list and that it played a major part in him not wanting the coaching job. He might be re-thinking that assessment now. Not only do I think they will tag Rocky and Hanley but I think it will be an aggressive tag as well. Let's face it, if Rocky and Hanley have ordinary games we will probably lose.
Actually he said that his family didn't want to move to brisbane.

We know that he rates Rocky. Tried to poach 'im 'e did.

And that was back before Rocky was any good.

At least, according to the media it was.

Remember him on On the Couch saying that he rated the Brisbane list over Melbourne's. I think the family factor came into it and Melbourne was a better fit. Can't imagine Angus gave a great impression either.

Angus is the sole reason we didn't get Roos, plain and simple :cool:

No, don't think it is that simple. Angus is the reason Voss got sacked in the quest for Roos.

I don't think we were ever a great shot of getting Roos regardless. He didn't want to come to Queensland for several family related reasons. Angus just misread the weather.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, don't think it is that simple. Angus is the reason Voss got sacked in the quest for Roos.

I don't think we were ever a great shot of getting Roos regardless. He didn't want to come to Queensland for several family related reasons. Angus just misread the weather.
One of the reasons why I hate roos is not because he didn't choose us but because he kept the rumour going. He didn't say "I will not go to brisbane" but kept it going for ratings.

Hanley's next 5 games you'd expect him to be closely tagged. He was beaten a few times earlier this season by taggers. He's got all the tools to be an untaggable player, just needs to realise this himself.
Agreed. I hope Leppa instructs the other 21 players to target Hanley's tagger. Give Pearce some additional support while he works out how best to beat a tag.

One of the reasons why I hate roos is not because he didn't choose us but because he kept the rumour going. He didn't say "I will not go to brisbane" but kept it going for ratings.

Less about ratings and more about leveraging big dollars from the Demons I would have thought.

Shame our gullible chairman couldn't see through the obvious Roos ruse and sacked our greatest ever player in the frenzy.

In all seriousness, I still wouldn't have Rocky in the top half dozen mids in the league.

I think it's telling that some of his biggest games possession-wise have come in big losses - Fremantle, obviously.

His use of the ball just isn't all that damaging, compared to the absolute top few.

Great player and great for us, but if he misses the AA team I won't get too bothered.

I honestly believe his second half of last season was better than this season.

Top 10 mid or thereabouts but not quite pure elite.

His disposal probably isn't as damaging as some of the elites but it shouldn't be undersold how much play he "creates". He gets others going with some of his contested work and on the outside he often is the difference between a chain falling over or being completed. As a midfield "cog" he is underrated.

Still some improvement to come as well. We have reason to be excited.

Would like to see him work on his inside 50 delivery in particular. He often does little sand wedge up-and-unders that look a little ill-conceived and even lazy (which belies every other part of his game) and they don't exactly do our forwards a favour.

He's capable of better but it may be a side effect of him pushing himself to exhaustion. Would like to see him hitting more leading forwards on the tit with flatter kicks.

The other thing he needs to do to elevate himself to the elite category is kick more goals as a midfielder. Something else he is definitely capable of as we saw in his TAC Cup years. Was a genuine scoreboard threat.

He has the spotlight on him now so he is going to start getting more praise for his strengths but also more scrutiny on areas he needs to improve.

Last edited:
Would like to see him work on his inside 50 delivery in particular. He often does little sand wedge up-and-unders that look a little ill-conceived and even lazy (which belies every other part of his game) and they don't exactly do our forwards a favour.

He's capable of better but it may be a side effect of him pushing himself to exhaustion. Would like to see him hitting more leading forwards on the tit with flatter kicks.

The other thing he needs to do to elevate himself to the elite category is kick more goals as a midfielder. Something else he is definitely capable of as we saw in his TAC Cup years. Was a genuine scoreboard threat.

He has the spotlight on him now so he is going to start getting more praise for his strengths but also more scrutiny on areas he needs to improve.
I'm more than happy to let him off there. It's a bit hard to do all those things in a team like ours unless you're Gary Ablett.
Even then, it's hard to find a faultless 40+ possession game by anyone. Hanley's game last week was about as close as you'll get. If you rack up that much of the ball, you're inevitably going to struggle to use it well every time. Particularly when you're one of the few players in the side capable of consistently winning possession at all(eg. Rockliff vs Freo).

1. Ablett
2. Pendlebury
3. Watson
4. Selwood
5. Kennedy
6. Dangerfield
7. Fyfe
8. Rockliff

Purely my 2c.

I reckon you could throw a blanket over the field after Ablett and Pendlebury.

If we're talking AA, I reckon you could name all 7 (Watson being the omission)

1. Ablett
2. Pendlebury
3. Watson
4. Selwood
5. Kennedy
6. Dangerfield
7. Fyfe
8. Rockliff

Purely my 2c.

Is that list for this year? Or is it overall?

1. Ablett
2. Pendlebury
3. Watson
4. Selwood
5. Kennedy
6. Dangerfield
7. Fyfe
8. Rockliff

Purely my 2c.

Not sure I'd have Dangerfield in there this year. Hasn't had the strongest year from what I've seen. Agree with the rest, though (although I don't think Pendlebury is as consistent as his reputation suggests, but that's a different conversation).

On the order of quality I don't have too many problems. In the order of players I would have in my team I would probably have Watson and Selwood above Pendlebury; and Dangerfield and Fyfe above Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back