News Rodney Eade confirmed as GC coach (see p10)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love when people start debating roles they have no ideas about. I mean lets be honest, we have a vague idea what is required to be a player at the highest level, we have a vague idea about who is potentially a good coach, but as what makes a good "Head of Football" I'd love to see a compelling argument filled with facts about why Worsfold is the shittest person ever for the job, why Eade is a huge loss or why some people think its good to see the back of him, and also why people are even saying Pelchan when the last two clubs hes left have been at the bottom of the ladder under his regime?

Also seems strange that the 3 people that have previously done the role at the club (Balme, Swann and Walsh) who are highly regarded in the media/football circus are 3 of the best operators in the league are no longer at our club. Maybe we just don't know a good one when we see it.
You do know bigfooty is all about opinions?

I love when people start debating roles they have no ideas about. I mean lets be honest, we have a vague idea what is required to be a player at the highest level, we have a vague idea about who is potentially a good coach, but as what makes a good "Head of Football" I'd love to see a compelling argument filled with facts about why Worsfold is the shittest person ever for the job, why Eade is a huge loss or why some people think its good to see the back of him, and also why people are even saying Pelchan when the last two clubs hes left have been at the bottom of the ladder under his regime?

Also seems strange that the 3 people that have previously done the role at the club (Balme, Swann and Walsh) who are highly regarded in the media/football circus are 3 of the best operators in the league are no longer at our club. Maybe we just don't know a good one when we see it.
Balme is very misleading imo. At first you think he is some kind of largely built, beer gusling, slow talking fool whose inherited a job cause he was a gun player, but if you actually listen to him for long enough you realise that hes a seriously clever dude. It was one of our bigger mistakes of the past decade to let him go imo.

Easily my favourite was all the Lappin hate. I mean how could people actually know what kind of contribution Lappin was making in his role. Yet for many he was the primary reason for our decline these last few seasons. Clearly shouldn't have played for Carlton imo

I put it back on you to tell me what he has done. We finished 11th didn't we? I expected to do better under the mentorship of Eade. But please, tell me of the successes and innovations he has engineered in our football department.

What a crap response. Please lighten me on what innovations and successes directors of football at other club have had.

Last edited:
I put it back on you to tell me what he has done. We finished 11th didn't we? I expected to do better under the mentorship of Eade. But please, tell me of the successes and innovations he has engineered in our football department.

You make a claim then the burden of proof is on you to substantiate what you said. You don't say I think x has robbed a store and then ask someone else to disprove your lazy assertion, you provide proof of the crime you asserted.

Without the midfield that WC team was rubbish and he did a pretty good job rebuilding to get back to the top 4 in 2011. 5 years from a premiership to a complete rebuild is pretty good going.

He's also a chemist which means he's pretty scientific, certainly moreso than Eade who is probably a teacher or a boom gate operater or something like that.
Tell me more about this chemist! What type of a chemist is he? A compounding one?

You make a claim then the burden of proof is on you to substantiate what you said. You don't say I think x has robbed a store and then ask someone else to disprove your lazy assertion, you provide proof of the crime you asserted.
I did respond. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We have hardly been successful while Eade has been at the club, and several key players have chosen to go elsewhere while he has been director of coaching. I cannot see any reason why a failed coach with a reputation for being deficient in his personal relationship with players should make a good administrator.

I did respond. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We have hardly been successful while Eade has been at the club, and several key players have chosen to go elsewhere while he has been director of coaching. I cannot see any reason why a failed coach with a reputation for being deficient in his personal relationship with players should make a good administrator.

So the club has a bad year and without knowing where responsibilities lie you claim Eade is to blame. You might be right, but the boring logical likelihood is that it's a combination of things from injury to football gravity. The fact is that you have to know the responsibilities of each person and whether they fulfilled them satisfactorily. Maybe Eade ticked off everything in front of him and Marty Girvan and the club medic failed. You can't just thrash around making wild statements with nothing substantial behind it. What if Eade was exceptional in his role?

Everyone is an expert in society today on everything. Does my nut in.

Last edited:
So the club has a bad year and without knowing where responsibilities lie you claim Eade is to be blame. You might be right, but the boring logical likelihood is that it's a combination of things from injury to football gravity. The fact is that you have to know the responsibilities of each person and whether they fulfilled them satisfactorily. Maybe Eade ticked off everything in front of him and Marty Girvan and the club medic failed. You can't just thrash around making wild statements with nothing substantial behind it. What if Eade was exceptional in his role?

Everyone is an expert in society today on everything. Does my nut in.
If Eade had been exceptional in his role then Beams and Lumumba would still be at the club, Davoren's role would not have been questioned, soft tissue injuries would not have decimated the playing group, Lappin would not have been an assistant for yet another year, the game plan would have been better, Buckley would be coach of a highly motivated and united group of players and the team would have finished in the top 4. Does that do your nut in?

If Eade had been exceptional in his role then Beams and Lumumba would still be at the club, Davoren's role would not have been questioned, soft tissue injuries would not have decimated the playing group, Lappin would not have been an assistant for yet another year, the game plan would have been better, Buckley would be coach of a highly motivated and united group of players and the team would have finished in the top 4. Does that do your nut in?

It does do my nut in because you've made all sorts of assumptions which are purely speculative and not particularly convincing. How is Lumumba's behaviour related to Eade? Davoren is not under fire in the review but Marty Girvan and the club doctor - which incidentally is a response to performance which is presumably what you'd expect. There have been a heap of changes to staff in recent years. You don't think they're right, but you have no idea what the responsibilities are and how people have fulfilled them.

You think, like some other posters, that you have the answer, but every poster has a different answer/cause. All that you agree on is that you want change without knowing or agreeing on the problem, let alone a solution. It's easy to tear something down but harder to construct something. I guarantee if all of you got together in a room to discuss the way forward it would be an absolute rabble.

Last edited:
Am not sure what his role actually entails /entailed, so I can't join in the chorus with those who are utensil-a-hoop personally, have no way of judging it.

It seems from the outside that he has something / maybe more to offer as a coach rather than an administrator, good luck to him if he gets the nod.

Not sure whom we would target to replace him, but the club will have some ideas and it would be better to know one way or another as soon as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like many am unsure what his true role is.
It seemed at the time like a shuffling of the deck chairs when Walshy left.
We took a coach and put him into an admin role.
All I can say is when I heard him try and explain his role to a room.
It was a bit of this and that with over 100 employees under him etc.
I also, found him to be unprofessional when I spoke to him about our uncontracted boys from S.A.
Maybe it was just bravado on his part.
My frustration is we haven't given Bucks the promised coaching mentor.
If we were to start again, I'd bring in an assistant of some sort for Bucks and an administrator.
To say Eade is responsible for our player loss is laughable.
I repeat, we haven't lost a player we have wanted to keep.

Last edited:
Yes

M.Bison sums up my feelings so well

Yeah have to agree. Eade needs to stick to what he does best and that's coaching!!

We need a good ADMINISTRATOR in the role not a good coach. Personally I'd promote Hine to head of footy ops he has relationships with many players league wide (through interviews pre-draft), is intimately aware of our list balance and could be trained up from a salary cap perspective. Plus at the end of the day you can only remain head recruiter at one club for so long.

In the current climate Rendell is underutilized, Eade is in no mans land as a coach filling an admin role (that in truth is a bit of this and a bit of that) and Hine is spreading himself too thin. We have an opportunity to get a good balance off field here so I hope personalities don't get in the way of what's best for the club...

I thought Hine was handling contracts and TPP these days?

Could be wrong

That's largely the problem with our football department ATM. No one at the top really has a clearly defined role.

Also I've seen Pelchen's name come up and all I can say is no just no. He is very good at what he does, BUT is just too divisive! In our current position we just can't afford to add a guy into the mix that has an established record of butting heads with football department members.

We need everyone pulling in the same direction and Pelchen (from the outside) appears too much of a my way or the highway bloke.

I did respond. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We have hardly been successful while Eade has been at the club, and several key players have chosen to go elsewhere while he has been director of coaching.

Confirmation bias if I've ever seen it.
Hey MM, I've got a bag of chips that repels tigers. See any tigers around here? Then it must be true!

There's a really good term I think everyone should keep in mind when trying to come to a conclusion, which is "correlation =/= causation".

Confirmation bias if I've ever seen it.
Hey MM, I've got a bag of chips that repels tigers. See any tigers around here? Then it must be true!

There's a really good term I think everyone should keep in mind when trying to come to a conclusion, which is "correlation =/= causation".

I agree to an extent, but it's worth noting that the guy Eade replaced has gone to a club not known for its destination status and all of a sudden they sign 3 FA's and rise up the ladder to a prelim berth in the space of 12 months.

I'm not going to pot Eade's work I just think our structure is all over the place ATM and Eade in an admin role when his area of expertise is coaching is odd.

I agree to an extent, but it's worth noting that the guy Eade replaced has gone to a club not known for its destination status and all of a sudden they sign 3 FA's and rise up the ladder to a prelim berth in the space of 12 months.
I'm not going to pot Eade's work I just think our structure is all over the place ATM and Eade in an admin role when his area of expertise is coaching is odd.
Let's pray he gets the job at GCS.
They beat us now anyway so it's not like we have to worry about IP:rolleyes:

if you were an ex coach and a club said will you coach us?

we have a couple of dozen first round picks, elite talent, the comps best player, a list maturing to be a finals contender and perhaps top 4 contender in 2 years.

why wouldnt you be packing your bags when you're currently sitting behind a desk filing reports?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back