Rohdey Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

Could easily be a rookie list player as well. We picked a few obscure kids with rookie picks that really struggled.

Agree on Jacobs. He was a junior All Australian, picked to go first round. I dont believe at all that we didnt speak to him. He might have intimated he wont stay but we definitely would have spoken to him.

Also, Nat Fyfe :(

Also, Nat Fyfe :(

I just try not to think about it ... the next Royce Hart, sigh. And usually we're good at picking WA'ns.

Interesting they saw him as a forward and didn't expect him to become the midfielder he became. Darling maybe has similar potential and was another one we could have reasonably taken although seems more settled as a forward.

Maybe Logan Austin will become a giant on-baller!

Players picked late from interstate who didn't last.

2006 - Ryan Williams 1 season
2007 - Mitch Farmer 2 seasons
2008 - Mitch Banner 3 seasons
2010 - Ben Jacobs 2 seasons
2011 - Nathan Blee 2 seasons

Don't know who Rohdey means, but Jacobs is our choice
Think Jacobs is right. Geez I can only remember him starting play once from the back line across to Chaplin then Broadbent who passed to Paul Stewart who goaled on the run. We beat North by 2 points round 8 2012 at Footy Park.

Pick 16 isnt a late pick

Could easily be a rookie list player as well. We picked a few obscure kids with rookie picks that really struggled...

Typed up last night that Rohdey could have meant a rookie pick - to throw everyone off the scent - but forgot to post it. They are the sort of players we dont interview, say pick 50+ in the rookie draft after 70-80 are selected in the main draft.

If he is from WA and not Vic then it could be Jesse Laurie. The only other WA kid we rookied in the 05-11 draft period was Jarrad Irons but he played 3 games.

Peter Hardy always looked dorky to me.

Williams lasted 2 seasons. He played AFL games in his 2nd year. Banner lasted 4.

Its interesting that Rohde said 'didnt have the traits to become a good AFL player', which is why I think it may be Banner or Farmer. Both played around 20-30 games at AFL level but arguably lacked the work ethic to go to that next step beyond fringe player. Farmer captained his TAC premiership side so its possible we looked at his junior record and picked him off that.

Or maybe it is a rookie player. Someone like Batsanis probably fits what he said. Was a big surprise when he was overlooked in the national draft, lasted only the one year here despite some really good form at WWT, then lasted only 1 year on Hawthorns rookie list. Others like Lee & Hardy were very timid and probably got lost on the list.

I don't think it would be a rookie listed player, failure pretty much goes with the territory there, so I don't think the club would be lamenting too many failed rookie selections.

"He wasn’t a bad person but he didn’t have the personality traits you need to be a good AFL player."

Drinker? Smoker? Toker? Party boy? Fat? Bad diet?Lazy? Unhinged?

Edit 1 more - Soft?

I was thinking it could be Farmer, but yeah he helped us get Schulz in the end, so can't have many regrets there other than missing out on Greenwood perhaps.

Banner, doubt he had any really bad personality traits, he was perhaps lacking x-factor and a bit of speed.

So yeah Jacobs sounds like the one (assuming the "late pick" comment was thrown in to confuse everyone), the regret on missing out on Lycett is no doubt very high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"He wasn’t a bad person but he didn’t have the personality traits you need to be a good AFL player."

Drinker? Smoker? Toker? Party boy? Fat? Bad diet?Lazy? Unhinged?

Edit 1 more - Soft?

Could've been as simple as not having the requisite dedication.

New state, fresh out of school and your first fulltime job involves always being on the clock instead of merely playing footy - when you're not flogging yourself on the track you're visiting woop-woop as part of community programs or trying to adhere to strict meal plans while living under the watchful eye of a host family and all the requisite authority that comes with that.

Wait, I'm an adult and am earning pretty good coin for an entry level employee in the workforce and I'm this under the thumb?! No Maccas, no booze, home by 9pm? Could've been something as simple as being a serial backchatter, or a whinger, or taking shortcuts.

And when you're taken late in a draft you just don't have the natural talent or time to compensate for these problems or grow up and iron out these flaws.

If he is from WA and not Vic then it could be Jesse Laurie. The only other WA kid we rookied in the 05-11 draft period was Jarrad Irons but he played 3 games.

That's a name I haven't heard for a bit. Won a flag or two at Claremont after being at Port, comes from Mt Barker - same place as the Krakouer's, was a very good committed kid from what I have heard, just not quite the talent for AFL unfortunately.

Wonder if that was a Choco call? We were linked to Sloane right through that draft then out of the blue pulled the trigger on Banner.

If we had Sloane, Greenwood, Lycett, would we have the make-up of the squad that we have today? I'm fairly comfortable with Wines and Wingard, complimenting Hartlett/Gray/Boak.

Probably would still have had Primus as coach now, and finished between 10th and 12th the last 2 years.

Ken would be the water-boy at GC and We'd still be debating why we hadn't delisted Motlop yet.

Probably wouldn't have Polec either.

Fyfe is a champion, but being a country WA lad, theres a chance he would have jumped ship and demanded a trade to a club in his home state.

Also, I can console myself with having Wingard, as our version of Fyfe.

If we had Sloane, Greenwood, Lycett, would we have the make-up of the squad that we have today? I'm fairly comfortable with Wines and Wingard, complimenting Hartlett/Gray/Boak.

Probably would still have had Primus as coach now, and finished between 10th and 12th the last 2 years.

Ken would be the water-boy at GC and We'd still be debating why we hadn't delisted Motlop yet.

Probably wouldn't have Polec either.

Fyfe is a champion, but being a country WA lad, theres a chance he would have jumped ship and demanded a trade to a club in his home state.

Also, I can console myself with having Wingard, as our version of Fyfe.

Yeah, you can only really play "if only" with drafting if you still monumentally suck - see Melbourne - or missed out on a once in a generation stud who could've almost single-handedly anchored a flag - see Richmond.

As you quite rightly point out, had we got this player and that player and assuming they developed at Alberton just as they have in reality, we no doubt finish higher up the ladder and cost ourselves studs such as Wingard and Wines on the backend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back