Rolling Stones touring Australia and NZ 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Plant really is all over the shop on this issue. I saw Page and Plant at the Wembley Arena in 1998. They played with an unknown bass and drummer but it was all Zeppelin song. It seems as soon as JPJ gets involved it becomes too Zeppelin for him and he doesn't want to do it.

FWIW

Gimme Shelter
Let it Bleed
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Country Honk
Live With Me
You Got the Silver
Love In Vain
Monkey Man
Gimme Shelter
Let it Bleed
Midnight Rambler
Monkey Man
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Live With Me
You Got the Silver
Love In Vain
Country Honk

Monkey Man is one of the better tracks. I've heard it on Goodfellas and How I met your Mother. They're al great tracks but Country Honk is the weakest. Would have preferred if they rearranged it before they released the album (this didn't happen until Taylor arrived for the Hype Park show)

So I went in Brisbane last night. Wow.

I didn't get tickets when they first went on sale last December. Anyway, over the last couple of months I had kept an eye on the Ticketmaster website and noticed some seats were still available, but then other annoying expenses kept getting in the way.

Then I started thinking last night about how much I'd regret missing it. I tried to rationalise it by comparison to Led Zeppelin who are my favourite band. I'll never, ever get to see them because they won't tour. But in this situation the Stones are touring. I jumped on the website again at about 7:40pm and saw there were still tickets available with less than hour to go. I asked my father what he reckoned I should do, at which point he said we should both just go. The only tickets available were at the front or restricted view. We went up the front.

We got the tickets through the site and had my brother shuttle us to the venue within 10 minutes (we live just around the corner from the Entertainment Centre). Within an hour of finally deciding to go we were at a Rolling Stones concert!

Set list.

The highlights: Tumbling Dice, Bitch, Honky Tonk Women, Miss You, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar. Yes, I realise that is over a quarter of the set. Honky Tonk Women is the song most people seemed to sing along with.

To be honest I could have done without Midnight Rambler. It just doesn't do it for me. Sway would have been a good alternative. I also like quite a few tracks which are less iconic like She's so Cold and Emotional Rescue, but they aren't going to please everybody. :D

Right at the end they all come together, including the support musicians to take a bow. Mick Taylor was a little slow to join them and missed out. He was miffed they didn't wait and he had a word with Keith on the stage. Keith invited him to join the main four for their own bow, but Mick waived him away and walked off.

Charlie is a pretty cool cat who just likes to go about his business without much fuss from the crowd. Keith is a loose unit and a gun. Ronnie is a bit of a clown and I like him (I've always liked him). Mick gave it all even though I thought he was under duress and put on a great show.

Anyway, great night and glad we went!

Last edited:
I went last night as well, huge fan so I was a touch disappointed it was only a greatest hits show, but I knew that going into it. Before they cancelled the Hanging Rock gig, they'd been playing newer songs like Out of Control and Doom & Gloom, which I really wanted to hear. Instead we got Paint It Black and an extra Keith song, so it's not all bad. Loved the show, my favourite band ever, and they delivered.

I was glad Silver Train got up in the vote, was my choice. I was side on to the stage so I got to see how pretty much no one except Chuck (keyboards) knew what was going on. Jagger started singing a verse at the wrong time and briefly pulled out a harmonica but thought better of it. Only Aussie gig to get two Mick Taylor songs :D

Personal highlights for me were : JJF, Bitch, You Got the Silver, Gimme Shelter (goosebumps during the intro - my favourite song of all time), Miss You, Satisfaction.

"So I thought we'd start with some hymns..." - Keith Richards.

To be honest I could have done without Midnight Rambler. It just doesn't do it for me.

It's just not a Stones' concert for me unless I get the holy trinity of Shelter, Sympathy and Midnight Rambler (I think Rambler comes back to years of listening to Get Yer Ya Yas Out).

I would have loved Paint it Black and Bitch, but we didn't get them in Melbourne.

Miss You is their one radio hit I really love, great groove, funky bass, crowd singalong and Mick really loves it. Rambler was brilliant, Mick Taylor soloing over the top of the solid base, and Mick's harp and his chance to go nuts with his dance moves at the end of the catwalk for a few minutes with the solo in the background. It was over before I knew it, would have loved another five minutes or so.

They played CYHMK semi-regularly on the US tour last year, would have killed for that one.

Miss You is their one radio hit I really love, great groove, funky bass, crowd singalong and Mick really loves it. Rambler was brilliant, Mick Taylor soloing over the top of the solid base, and Mick's harp and his chance to go nuts with his dance moves at the end of the catwalk for a few minutes with the solo in the background. It was over before I knew it, would have loved another five minutes or so.

They played CYHMK semi-regularly on the US tour last year, would have killed for that one.
Midnight Rambler is a great throwback to their early blues stuff. Love it. Just lets the band cut loose.

It's nice of them to let Brian Jones' son play with them. Sorry.
But yeah, he's very good. Gotta straddle that fine line between playing awesomely as part of the Stones tour line-up but, at the same time, not overshadow the main four guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one mention of Daryl Jones. All great bands have a kicking rhythm section, he and Charlie make up that and have done for over twenty years now. The guy played with Miles Davis before he joined the Stones and Miles never suffered fools kindly
They let him stand up front these days. They used to make him stand down back.

Plant really is all over the shop on this issue. I saw Page and Plant at the Wembley Arena in 1998. They played with an unknown bass and drummer but it was all Zeppelin song. It seems as soon as JPJ gets involved it becomes too Zeppelin for him and he doesn't want to do it.

It's a real pity, I have a copy of the Foo Fighters gig at Wembley stadium where Jones & Page join them & do a couple of Zep numbers & they have still got it, would seriously consider giving up a body part if that's what it took to see Led Zepplin live but looks like it will never happen:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back