Rookie #26 (2015) - Cameron Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Clever defender/midfielder with good football smarts and game sense. Rarely loses his feet in the contest and spreads hard to create opportunities for his teammates. Excels at the stoppages where he uses his body to ensure he gets first opportunity to extract the ball. Played two games for South Australia at the NAB AFL U18 Championships. Brother of Sydney Swan George Hewett.

Cameron+Hewett+Z_sLEam1HI8m.jpg

I liked the highlights package. I kinow it was SANFL and not State but he looked a class above in the later clips for North Adelaide.

From Snoop Dog's rookie phantom:

# 5 St Kilda - Cameron Hewett (North Adelaide / 189cm / 76kg)

Another club who I think could well end up taking a key forward early as there aren't many left but have gone with this kid instead. Quite like this kid as presents as a player with a bit of scope in a couple of positions. Think he could play either a HB, Wing or mid type role and he looks to have pretty good footy IQ in the games I saw him in. Was pretty good around the physical stuff at the champs and particularly around the stoppages where he was a real influence at times. Needs to add some weight and probably hasn’t got that stand out attribute but very coachable and doesn’t have any obvious weakness.

After looking at his kicking action I dub Hewett 'McFly' as we appear to be going Back to the Future.

A savvy selection that could work out very well for Port. Was easily the best on ground for his side in the SA U18s internal trial in February. Played some reserves trials for North and was influential at that level. Can win it inside, spread and receive on the outside. Has excellent lateral movement and despite being lanky, can power through tackles and dispose under pressure. Can kick on both feet comfortably and has adequate accuracy despite a slightly unusual action.

Looks to be a big-bodied inside midfielder but has proven he can play forward, often playing out of the square at school football for PAC. Can play behind the ball if needed. Broke his scaphoid bone (low hand) and played a good portion of the early season with it before succumbing to the injury post-nationals. Wasn't given a fair run by the SA U18s team in my opinion and in the two games he played, only spent a fraction over 50-60% time on ground. Along with this injury and some of his testing, this would have seen his draft stock drop.

Still a little immature, will need to put on some size but has good instincts inside, clean hands at ground level and touch by hand and foot. Has a good reach and can take a mark overhead.

Nice pick!

I think he's got some raw potential, knows how to find the ball at stoppages, seems to have a decent kick, nice side step. But he's treacle slow and lacks fitness. One for Burgo to work on.

After looking at his kicking action I dub Hewett 'McFly' as we appear to be going Back to the Future.
Yeah it's a very rough kicking action. Look forward to seeing what he can do though. Ball winners are what we need and he sounds like he can win it himself. That gives me enough hope to cling to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he can struggle with his kick under pressure and can be moore like at stoppages who just forces it forward without looking and can get himself caught out with percieved but non existant oppo pressure. Hes a good mover though in that he is is pretty agile and has a bit of pace not so much show he breaks the lines but just enough to create a few meters of seperation. Rookie pick so really could be anything, up to the cosching staff as to where they want him to play in the future due to parkers comments about his body taking time to develop the long term goal would be a mid as he is already intelligent at stoppages

Hate these highlight packages.
Apart from shot on goals half the time I have no idea which player I'm supposed to look at. Is it the one kicking or the one marking the ball? :D

Last edited:
Positives as I see it:
  • Awkward kicking style, but hit every target in the video
  • Seems to have good awareness
  • Takes the game on
  • willing to get his own ball as well as receive
  • some footy smarts with nice evasive skills and sidestep
Certainly looks to have something there that the coaches can worth with, but is a wildcard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back