Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
How can Jed Adcock be selected as a rookie? What a farce the rookie draft has turned into. Just make the AFL Draft another 5 rounds longer and lists with no rookies already.
You've only just discovered the rookie draft exists I see. Only last year Schneider, Krakouer, Kane Lucas, Greg Broughton and Tony Armstrong were taken as so called rookies.

So the list is poorly named.

Maybe name it "outside the salary cap, on minimum wage, that's not enough money to live in most cities"

If an experienced player accepts the rookie list, that's their choice. Another shot at the show

A thread by someone that doesn't know the system, or without the knowledge that some players only have AFL, no trade, no uni degree to support themselves.

That want to stay in the system. Potentially become a coach, earn more money then they could for their family then playing VFL.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
You've only just discovered the rookie draft exists I see. Only last year Schneider, Krakouer, Kane Lucas, Greg Broughton and Tony Armstrong were taken as so called rookies.
Some of those players I can understand... but not all. The rookie system was created for rookies, not guys who have previously captained their club.

Blue Razor

Team Captain
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Rookie listed players are also restricted in contracts and playing availability. 1 year deals and must be nominated before selection for an AFL game. In today's game it doesn't make much sense to have a player on your list who can't officially play unless nominated or have to wait for long term injury.

I think rookie restrictions and the title be scratch, extend the draft, give players select after 5th round 1 year guaranteed contract with a team option for a 2nd year. And allow clubs to sign 1 international player each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should be called the 'Supplementary list' and the 'Supplementary draft'.

It is silly calling it a rookie draft.

It's a name. Rookie/supplementary who really cares? Regardless of the name it has the same function which everyone knows.

Like I said, whoever really cares?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
It's a name. Rookie/supplementary who really cares? Regardless of the name it has the same function which everyone knows.

Like I said, whoever really cares?

Names are important. It's no longer a rookie list and shouldn't be called as such. Apparently we're about to re-list Sam Ried as a rookie. He's been the captain of our NEAFL team for a couple of years with a coaching role thrown in. To call him a "rookie" is beyond ridiculous.

A supplementary player (available IF injury hits the seniors) but a "rookie"? Not in a million years.

Names are important. It's no longer a rookie list and shouldn't be called as such. Apparently we're about to re-list Sam Ried as a rookie. He's been the captain of our NEAFL team for a couple of years with a coaching role thrown in. To call him a "rookie" is beyond ridiculous.

A supplementary player (available IF injury hits the seniors) but a "rookie"? Not in a million years.

Bad example compared to the Op's Adcock. How many games has ried played? I think you will find 0.

In terms of a professional AFL player he is a rookie. Just because he has played football in the NEAFL doesn't change the fact he is a rookie.

He is the definition of a rookie!

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Bad example compared to the Op's Adcock. How many games has ried played? I think you will find 0.

In terms of a professional AFL player he is a rookie. Just because he has played football in the NEAFL doesn't change the fact he is a rookie.

He is the definition of a rookie!

He played 10 for the Dogs between 2008-2011 and 14 for us in 2012-2013

You're seriously suggesting that someone who debuted in 2008 and has played for two clubs and been an assistant coach at one is a rookie?

Dude- go have a look at a dictionary.

He played 10 for the Dogs between 2008-2011 and 14 for us in 2012-2013

You're seriously suggesting that someone who debuted in 2008 and has played for two clubs and been an assistant coach at one is a rookie?

Dude- go have a look at a dictionary.

My bad, misread the gws site. To early in the morning.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It has a demeaning name as incentive for the players to work harder to get off it. I think it should be renamed to Shitty Poo Babies Club to increase the efficacy of this approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back