Rookie draft pick 44: Sam Menegola

Remove this Banner Ad

Could he potentially play next season??....Already had 1 year of AFL standard training under his belt....

Sam was rookied by Hawthorn in 2010 after doing a pre-season with Fremantle. Sam struggled a bit with injury in 2011 and only managed the 3 senior VFL games in 2011. However, he showed good signs during the 2011 NAB Cup at Hawthorn, where his class and running ability stood out. Sam’s main weapon is that he has elite endurance; running a 15.6 beep at the state combine last year and demonstrated this over pre-season at Fremantle Football Club in 2010. He’s a good size too at 188cm and has a lot of physical development/upside left in him.

Does anyone know his height now?? i he still 188cm or has he grown a couple of cms? it would be nice to be able to swap him and Fyfey from full forward to wing. both elite runners, massive leaps and massive grabs. would love to see him take the next step up

Does anyone know his height now?? i he still 188cm or has he grown a couple of cms? it would be nice to be able to swap him and Fyfey from full forward to wing. both elite runners, massive leaps and massive grabs. would love to see him take the next step up
Saw him the other night helping out the 16's Development boys at East Freo.
Looks every bit of 188cm and has put on some very impressive body size since that photo in the post above. Looked to be a nice guy as he was running with the stragglers in the 3km time trial and giving them encouragement.

Wow! Great stuff and Sam will be stoked. Was a few years below me in high school but he is a terrific guy and a very talented footballer. Very hard done by to get delisted after just a year I thought, he should thrive being back home.

Elite endurance, great mark and very tidy skills. Could be anything :thumbsu:

Wow! Great stuff and Sam will be stoked. Was a few years below me in high school but he is a terrific guy and a very talented footballer. Very hard done by to get delisted after just a year I thought, he should thrive being back home.

Got a feeling he was two or three under me as well, CBC yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

think it was more about him telling Hawthorn that he wanted to be upgrade to the main list or delisted. Either way it seems Freo are pleased to finally get him. they wanted him last year.

He asked to be delisted, he was homesick and wanted to get to back to WA, no point keeping him on when his heart wasnt in it.
Good luck to the kid, I will follow his development closely.

Houghton had a similar beep test before being picked in the draft, not the rookie one.
Is taller than Menegola, both have had injury concerns.
It is strange that Houghton was only given two years, I would love to know what the problem was, and why we could not develop him.
If Sam also got homesick, doesnt this put him in the same basket as Tunbridge?

Houghton had a similar beep test before being picked in the draft, not the rookie one.
Is taller than Menegola, both have had injury concerns.
It is strange that Houghton was only given two years, I would love to know what the problem was, and why we could not develop him.
If Sam also got homesick, doesnt this put him in the same basket as Tunbridge?

I just don't think they rate Tunbridge as a footballer.

The Houghton thing is just weird. No-one else took him though.

Tunbridge, Menegola were only going to be picked up by two teams, if they were homesick.
Could we have rolled the dice and picked him up later?
May have lost a player on our rader to another team.
Hope Sam makes the most of his second chance.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/127185/default.aspx

“Relief that the off-season is over and I’ve found a home, and excitement because I can get stuck into it,” he said.

“I can’t wait to put my head down and work really hard and try and play some really good footy next year.”

“It’s good to be home and playing my footy at Freo,” Menegola said.

“I’m absolutely stoked that it worked out the way it did and I’m now a Freo Docker.”

“I learnt the importance of trusting your instincts and backing yourself, which is what I’ll aim to do at Freo.”

Tunbridge, Menegola were only going to be picked up by two teams, if they were homesick.
Could we have rolled the dice and picked him up later?
May have lost a player on our rader to another team.
Hope Sam makes the most of his second chance.

Freo wouldn't have wanted of risked losing Menengola to WC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back