Preview Rookie draft - picks 18, 36, 53 & 65

Remove this Banner Ad

What type of players will we get in the rookie draft. Are there any players who were overlooked in the national draft who you think might be worth a punt? After getting a ruckman and a small defender in the national draft we are pretty much well covered in all areas for next year. We might take Grimley but there's no guarantee that he will still be available with our pick. The order of the rookie draft is yet to confirmed by the AFL. Given we've got an outstanding record of finding good players in the rookie draft over the years who've gone onto become quality players, there might be another gun player or two who slips threw to our pick.

The rookie draft is on Wednesday December 3rd 11.30am.

Pick 18: ?
Pick 36: ?
Pick 53: ?
Pick 65: ?

Last edited:
Do we know when the AFL will release the draft order? I gather we'll be low down owing to the Premiership, but depending on other clubs' list management there might be some passes before us (like Sydney last year). I'm anxious because I'd love us to pick up Hodge Mk II.

Some of the players still available in the rookie draft that I was interested in pre-draft:

Peter Bampton (Inside Mid)
Jack Cripps(KPF/Ruck)
Brenton Payne (KPF)
Matthew Hammelmann (KPP)
Tyler Keitel (KPF)
Aiden Anderson (Small Forward)
Sam Bevan (KPP)

Of course Phantom Drafts and Highlight Packages make everyone look like superstars. Still there might be some talent left. I'm willing to trust the recruiters on this one and after the Rookie Draft to have a look at the full picture.

will they use their first pick on Grimley or their last? what was the agreement?

either way 3 more young'uns on Wrighty's list of surprises, can't wait to see who he picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did rookie upgrades Zac Webster and Dallas Willsmore have exceptional years in the VFL this year? I know Webster had some hamstring issues but I'm wondering if Wright has something sneaky up his sleeve. Obviously Webster and Willsmore have shown enough development to be upgraded but I'm wondering if Wright needed more room on the rookie list and has his eye on a couple of rough diamonds?

I love the romance of mature age rookies, but like Ross last year, do we even have the capacity to play them if we get them? I'd love one of Newman, Saad, Geary, Lambert, Cavarra etc but with the depth already there will they just be wasted? There aren't really any holes in the best 22 team to fill for them to play straight away. I guess you cant have too much depth but surely it would make more sense to draft bottom agers due to thekr development timeframes?

Someone like a hodge might be worthwhile moreso because he'd take a few years to come on if at all.

I'd love the hawks to take a speculative type who is more massive boom or bust as we need to keep trying to find those superstar elites to take over from the oldies. Sydney are doing it well with their F/S and academy goldmines. Langford aside, we are yet to benefit the same especially without any resemblence to a high draft pick.

I would absolutely love a dahlhouse, barlow or breust type but as a young kid needing to develop.

I think we should definitely give Dylan Hodge a go, particularly after missing out on Harry Dear. That was just annoying. lol. Just to keep everything in the family, we could go for young Gowers as well.
Gowers looks okay, hope we draft him if he is available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back